IGNORED

Why is there nothing like an Intellivision Flashback console?

tz101

I mean if the 2600 Flashback systems have been so popular, why would a company not try a reasonable facsimile of the original INTV console, complete with repro controllers.

Include some of the Imagic, Parker Bros., and Coleco games, and this would be a great system.

The Intellivision PNP released a few years ago does not count because it did not even try to reproduce the original controller. The game selection was lame as well.

I seem to remember somebody asking this question before, but anyway ...

The problem with the Intellivision is that a lot of its hardware (the GI 1610, the STIC chip, etc) wasn't used in anything other than the Intellivision, so it would be more difficult to replicate in an integrated chipset than a console based on a 6502 or a Z80, for which there are off-the-shelf implementations available. The controllers are also more difficult to replicate, since they would require a sixteen-direction disc and an overlay system of some kind. The Flashback 2 also had the advantage of "Atari nostalgia," whereas the Intellivision only sold about one-fourth as many consoles as the 2600 did and doesn't have the same level of name recognition among the general public. That's not to say that a lot of people wouldn't enjoy having a real Intellivision console, but it would be a much different business proposition.

I actually liked the concept of the Intellivision X-in-1 controllers: repackage the Intellivision games, but present them in a way that is more accessible for kids and casual gamers. The problem was that the versions of the games that Techno Source used were "undercooked," just like the games in a lot of the other plug-and-play consoles (like the Jakks Atari joystick and the Flashback 1). In my opinion, Digital Eclipse did it the right way with the Atari 13-in-1 Paddle for Jakks Pacific: use some sort of emulation, or some version of the original code re-engineered for the hardware in the handheld, instead of trying to reprogram all of the games from scratch. Perhaps this simply wasn't feasible, given that the Intellivision X-in-1 handhelds used the same generic Nintendo-on-a-Chip that a lot of these other plug-and-play units did; it's actually less powerful than the original Intellivision in certain ways. They did a somewhat better job on their 10-in-1 Second Edition controller (and made some interesting enhancements to Astrosmash, as I recall), but it wasn't enough.

I remember that Keith Robinson was asked about this once (five years ago or so), and he also said that the cost of reproducing the Intellivision hardware was too great. But, he seemed to think that a platform powerful enough to emulate the Intellivision would soon be cheap enough and efficient enough to use in a battery-powered handheld or in an inexpensive Flashback-style console, so perhaps that's something they'll look into now that Intellivision Lives! DS has finally made it out. Personally, I'd rather see them release the rare cartridge reproductions that they've been talking about for a few years now: I'd love to get my hands on a new copy of Spiker! or Stadium Mud Buggies.

there is those tv plug in controller things...

Didn't they sell some ridiculous number of these, like 2 million + units? I swear I read that on the Intellivision Lives website or saw Keith Robinson talk about that in an interview...icon_ponder.gificon_confused.gif

If that's the case, I'm guessing they figured they'd already covered the market....

Didn't they sell some ridiculous number of these, like 2 million + units? I swear I read that on the Intellivision Lives website or saw Keith Robinson talk about that in an interview...icon_ponder.gificon_confused.gif

If that's the case, I'm guessing they figured they'd already covered the market....

I don't remember the exact number, but I've heard that there have now been more Intellivision plug-and-play handhelds sold (this presumably includes both the 10-in-1 and 25-in-1 models) than there were original Intellivision consoles, in all their various incarnations.

We may not be completely happy with the those handhelds, but those of us in the classic gaming hobby have to remember that they really weren't intended for us; they were meant to introduce the Intellivision games to casual gamers, young kids, and other non-hobbyists. Given the number of units they sold, and given the endorsements they received from publications like Parents Magazine and Grandparents Magazine, I'd say they've been very successful. And the best thing is, the success of those products helped to make other things (like Intellivision Lives! DS) possible.

• 4 years later...

I mean if the 2600 Flashback systems have been so popular, why would a company not try a reasonable facsimile of the original INTV console, complete with repro controllers.

Include some of the Imagic, Parker Bros., and Coleco games, and this would be a great system.

The Intellivision PNP released a few years ago does not count because it did not even try to reproduce the original controller. The game selection was lame as well.

tz101,

In case you missed it, the Flashback Intellivisions came out last year!!! My grandson bought me one!!!

I don't think the Imagic games are on it though.

tz101,

In case you missed it, the Flashback Intellivisions came out last year!!! My grandson bought me one!!!

I don't think the Imagic games are on it though.

whats with the necrothreading? If i apologize for what i said will you stop? I would rather have the angry side of you instead of the nonsense you do now.

whats with the necrothreading? If i apologize for what i said will you stop? I would rather have the angry side of you instead of the nonsense you do now.

We have a troll on the forums. I'm surprised there's been no action taken, but maybe no one's reported him yet (I'm not the tattling type and I prefer shaming people in public when they get out of hand).

The obvious solution is for all of us to stop purchasing Intellivision games, and basically just shut down our collections. That'll teach him.

• Like 1