IGNORED

21 Blue, an Atari 2600 homebrew

RevEng

All I have to say is: this game is pretty much ready for prime-time as it is now. I can't think of anything that really needs to be added/changed.

Well, maybe just a minor thing: you have two different dealers in Vegas. Perhaps Lake Tahoe needs a little attention! :)

Ah, that's a good idea... Lake Tahoe it is!

I agree that it's pretty close to done. There's a few things I want to try to squeeze in, but really it's just a bit of spit-shine. :)

This would be great on cartridge until about 20 years pass and you have to worry about tig ole bitty rot.

:D :rolling: :lol:

AX

:rolling:

"Hmmmm, those pixels are starting to sag... time to trade this cart in for a newer model."

Can we get this item CIB?

Sign me up #15?

:) At this point I'm not entirely sure in what form the release is going to take. Still mulling the options over.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for putting together the preview version for Atari User - check your inbox.

I'm enjoying the issue greatly so far!

Some info for the rest of you: Atari User Magazine had a nice write-up about 21 Blue, and included a special preview version for its readers. :thumbsup:

Thanks Steve!

Tested PAL version on real hardware with Harmony cart. It seems OK.

You should add Insurance rule in the manual.

Could you check if BJ really pays 5:1 in easy level? Likely I am wrong.

Is 21 Blue written in bBasic? Perhaps a link should be added in bB section.

The payout was definitely 5:1 before, but I think I noticed the same thing last night. The pal version was based on the latest pre-release, and I likely broke it. I'll verify and fix any issues with the payouts before the next release. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

The manual definitely needs an update for a few different reasons... I'll likely put together an updated pdf version soon.

The game uses a custom assembly kernel, but its definitely bB. Good idea on the link. I'll start a thread a bit later today.

Thanks for the feedback, Phil. As always its greatly appreciated!

I've added a new release and updated the first post with the latest binary.

Updates...

• -added Blakjuko minigame
    -increased score font height
    -fixed incorrect blackjack payout on easy mode
    -created PAL60 version
    -squashed a few scanline count >262 issues
    -added shading to the card display
    -minor titlescreen changes.
    -updated README.txt with Blakjuko instructions

I also added the initial AtariVox support code, though it's not active until I get my hands on one for testing! :)

I've added a new release and updated the first post with the latest binary.

Updates...

• -added Blakjuko minigame
    -increased score font height
    -fixed incorrect blackjack payout on easy mode
    -created PAL60 version
    -squashed a few scanline count >262 issues
    -added shading to the card display
    -minor titlescreen changes.
    -updated README.txt with Blakjuko instructions

I also added the initial AtariVox support code, though it's not active until I get my hands on one for testing! :)

Excellent update! The updated graphics look great and the shuffling sound is perfect.

I, however, am a tad more fond of the older "you win", "you lose" sounds - but that's probably just me.

Excellent update! The updated graphics look great and the shuffling sound is perfect.

I, however, am a tad more fond of the older "you win", "you lose" sounds - but that's probably just me.

Good point. I agree they're a bit lacking.

I'm thinking I'll replace the win/lose sounds with a few quick notes instead, like some of the musical fx in Donkey Kong. But nothing too in-your-face.

And now that you mention the sound, there's also no sound or music when you win the game... that needs to change.

After that, I plan to tackle the AtariVox enhancement and then call this one done.

This game is fantastic. You really did a great job on this, Rev. Put me in for a copy when this goes up for sale.

-B

Thanks Brian... will definitely do!

• Like 1

I really like this game. Great job so far.

Thanks for the support, and I love your Ken Uston avatar!

The exploits of card counters beating the odds is one reason for my interest in Blackjack. I'm not a gambler at heart, but I really like the idea of people gaming the system using nothing but their brains. :)