IGNORED

scootiecat

seanhq

• 5 months later...

In the many years since I joined Atari Age, I've completed thousands of deals. It is my opinion that this transaction, when I sold a GameCube console, power supply, video cord, and controller for $12.50 to Scootiecat was not favorable. Please see the entire PM conversation as shown below, then decide for yourself if you wish to do business with this member.

Scootiecat

Sent Thu Jun 2, 2011 10:44 PM

Got it on Wednesday. Hooked it up today and now there's static on my TV no matter what system I use. Any idea what could be causing the static?

---

the.golden.ax

Sent Thu Jun 2, 2011 10:59 PM

Sounds like your TV may be getting some interference from the RF cable. Out here in the sticks where I live, we don't get much if any RF interference. I know the cable is good, something has to be conflicting with it. Do you have allot of systems hooked up to the cable input all at once? I'd try the GC on it's own. You may want to get a few things to combat the problem. Depends what approach you take. One would be a ferrite. They block low band RF signals that interfere with your TV or other devices and run about $2 at a radio shack near you. You snap them over the cable near the input. OR if you have A/V inputs you may want to use an RCA (Red yellow white) cable for systems that support it, just to cut down on the number of coax RF signals. Then there are RF amplifers. If you have to use coax for everything, you may want a booster. This will make all the outputs on your systems a little louder so the interference doesn't bleed through. It is the most costly, again radio shack, or online, think around $20 for that kind of solution. Here to help.

Thanks,

AX

---

Scootiecat

Sent Fri Jun 3, 2011 7:42 AM

It just seems weird that everything was fine until I hooked up the GC. Now even my composite systems get interference. I do have 3 systems hooked up and I run everything through a VCR.

---

Scootiecat

Sent Fri Jun 3, 2011 10:35 PM

Any other thoughts?

---

the.golden.ax

Sent Fri Jun 3, 2011 10:49 PM

Nothing comes to mind. Did you try it without the VCR directly in to the TV?

AX

---

Scootiecat

Sent Sat Jun 4, 2011 4:17 PM

Yeah, the VCR isn't the problem. It may be the RF cable. I'm not sure.

the.golden.ax

Sent Sat Jun 4, 2011 4:20 PM

It has to be some combination of the equipment. You get the same issue when hooked directly to the TV with nothing else? Are there any other TVs you could try?

---

Scootiecat

Sent Sun Jun 5, 2011 5:28 PM

The problem is definitely something with the Game Cube and/or it's RF cable. I just tried it on my other TV and it's doing the exact same thing. Also, as soon as I unhooked the GC and moved it away from my first TV, my first TV became fine.

---

the.golden.ax

Sent Sun Jun 5, 2011 5:48 PM

Interesting, are they older sets? Brand, approximate age? It was used with a fairly modern 2002 Toshiba 13" CRT tube TV and there wasn't anything like that at any point. I'm wondering if Cubes in general throw off RF interference typically that would affect some older sets. I know that FCC regulations say they must accept and may produce interference, but always ignored that statement since I've never witnessed it.

AX

---

Scootiecat

Sent Sun Jun 5, 2011 7:40 PM

My main TV is about 10 years old and is an RCA. My secondary TV is a Sylvania and is about 20 years old. How do you want to handle this? I would prefer to just get my money back.

---

the.golden.ax

Sent Sun Jun 5, 2011 7:59 PM

Is it not working? I guess I don't understand the scope of the interference. Can it not be played? Sounds like it's just not compatible with your sets. You can return it less what I paid for postage, but I'd have to have it back. I'd try the $2 shield, or a different style of video cable if it isn't working with your rig (again a few dollars if purchased online). It's not worth throwing the baby out with the bathwater. If this unit causes interference

on your Televisions just by being on near-by, without even being hooked up, every gamecube is going to do the same. I'm sure there isn't anything wrong with the machine. Without seeing it I'm at a disadvantage, but it

sounds to me like a quirky incompatibility.

AX

---

Scootiecat

Sent Sun Jun 5, 2011 8:08 PM

It causes so much interference that it is unplayable. It makes my other RF systems unplayable. I will return it, but I expect my original postage refunded too. You did not pay for the postage. I did. And I will not pay

double postage.

---

the.golden.ax

Sent Sun Jun 5, 2011 8:23 PM

Sorry, but the postage is gone once paid to the post office. The service is rendered and the money is gone. Do me a favor before you throw in the towel on this. Forget the system, go plug just the power supply in near the TV and see if your picture goes crazy in the same way.

AX

---

Scootiecat

Sent Sun Jun 5, 2011 8:34 PM

My TV is fine with just the power supply plugged in. Why? And whatever happened to customer service?!

---

the.golden.ax

Sent Sun Jun 5, 2011 8:47 PM

I'm still trying to solve the problem. Sounds like you gave up. If you get anything from this thread of text, I've done nothing but give you customer service. Postage is a service, you pay that to the post office. Not to me. If something is defective I make it right, but when the unit was here there wasn't any issue. To make it right, if that is possible, we have to find out what the problem is. I'm still concerned with isolating the problem and

resolving it. You may view it as shirking responsibility and averting blame by my asking questions. It's not. I've got to work with facts. If I was there it may be easier. Try to keep this logical and factual. Now, are you saying the TV signal is messed up only when the system is attached to the television via the video cord? Does the machine have to be on, or just plugged in to both power and the TV?

AX

---

Scootiecat

Sent Sun Jun 5, 2011 9:01 PM

It interferes even when the RF cable isn't attached to the TV-Game switch. The interference is that bad. And I see this as a defect in the product and you should allow me to return it including original postage.

---

the.golden.ax

Sent Sun Jun 5, 2011 9:19 PM

I'm thinking the issue is with the power supply. The power supply is what is called a switching power supply. When I asked you to plug in the power all by itself this is what I was hoping to figure out. I didn't account for the fact that is wasn't active until it was connected to the Cube. It only activates and draws current when it is plugged in to the console. Nothing is wrong with the product in any way. It's a combination of things. Your televisions are old, possibly the grounding in the outlet, the supply gives off an EM or RF field. They all do, but a Cube power is 3amps, hefty. Like I said, I think any GameCube is going to do this for you in your situation. Let's try to combat the issue and see if it works? Do you have an extension cord or better yet a surge protector you could plug the Cube power supply in to? Get the power as far from the TV as possible. If

you have an outlet on another circuit breaker from the TV that would be ideal. You could also put a bit of aluminum foil around the power brick. I do think that should give you results. If you can tell me the model number of the power supply that may also help.

Thanks,

AX

---

Scootiecat

Sent Sun Jun 5, 2011 9:29 PM

It's already being plugged into a surge protector and had aluminum foil wrapped around it. I do know what I am doing. And ferrites are over $5.00 and I live on $770/month. I don't see why I should have to spend more

money to try to fix a defect.

---

Scootiecat

Sent Sun Jun 5, 2011 9:48 PM

Also, I have a composite hookup Game Cube and it works just fine. So it has nothing to do with the power supply. The RF cable on the one you sent me is defective. It comes down to that.

---

the.golden.ax

Sent Sun Jun 5, 2011 10:02 PM

So you had a cord and it works fine. You knew it was something with the RF cord but let me chase around the issue with the power asking you to do stuff all this time for no reason? Then you want to return a whole system because of a $2 cable? I'm just making sure I have this right.

AX

---

Scootiecat

Sent Sun Jun 5, 2011 10:08 PM

I have a different system that works fine. There is no hookup for the composite cable on the unit you sent me. I told you as soon as I figured it out for sure that it was a problem with the RF cable. YOU are the one who chose to do all the "problem solving" instead of just accepting the return of a defective item. Don't you dare put that on me!

---

the.golden.ax

Sent Sun Jun 5, 2011 10:19 PM

Wrong, I wanted to FIX the problem. If you said you needed a cable one would have been in the mail to you. That isn't how you approached this. You come at me telling me about your octo-VCR set up with three classic systems. How else would it sound to someone who isn't there and doesn't know you have more parts and systems to test it with. You left that out. It worked when I had it. Not sure how a video cord goes bad.

If you wanted the other version for $2 more you should have ordered that in the first place. You don't waste $10.50 x 2 back and forth on mail because a cable is bad. I'll send you a cable.

AX

---

Scootiecat

Sent Sun Jun 5, 2011 10:31 PM

Like I said, you were the one who wanted to do all the problem solving and fixing the problem. You knew I was trying to problem solve too because I tried and answered all your questions as well as doing some testing on my own. I told you that I had ruled out that it was the VCR and the TV-Game switch on my own. I also ruled out the power adapter problem on my own. You chose to interpret things your own way. I was quite clear. And I did not want the composite system in the first place. Where did that come from in your mind?

---

the.golden.ax

Sent Sun Jun 5, 2011 10:32 PM

A/V or RFU?

---

Scootiecat

Sent Sun Jun 5, 2011 10:34 PM

RFU. The same thing that came with the system.

---

the.golden.ax

Sent Sun Jun 5, 2011 10:44 PM

usps.com

420 53227 9101 9690 1038 6882 0845 28

Expect it later in the week.

---

Scootiecat

Sent Sun Jun 5, 2011 10:54 PM

Will let you know when it arrives.

---

Scootiecat

Sent Wed Jun 8, 2011 4:27 PM

It is the power source, not the RF cable. But the power source from my other Game Cube works just fine with the Game Cube you sent me. Would you like me to return the RF cable you sent me? And can we try a different power source?

---

the.golden.ax

Sent Today, 5:28 PM

Your TVs don't like the interference. There isn't anything wrong with any of the stuff I sold you. I tried to help you, really I did. Don't you think I'd have sent you a power cord if it would have helped? I tried, anyone from outside this conversation, observing this ordeal would agree with that sentiment. You could have tested the other power supply at any time. In fact, you claimed you did. That isn't a defect, that is your TVs. I spent another $5 on shipping the cable, plus I'll end up having to buy another video cord for around $2 to replace the one I sent you. For the $12.50 I sold you this set for, I think you got exemplary service and value. I'm not Wal-Mart or a piece of meat. If I wanted to be abused over a sale I'd have sold it on eBay or Amazon for a much higher price. You may want to check out Mega Media Xchange on 76th near Southridge for all your local gaming needs. I'm sure if you take any or all the items I sent you in to their store, they can hook it up and show you how it doesn't have a problem with their TV.

I'm sorry but I can no longer support this any further.

Best wishes, have a nice life, so long.

AX

---

Purely retaliatory. See the feedback I left for him first. He is the one who sent me a faulty product. The PMs only prove how he treated me and that he refuses to solve the problem and is leaving me with a defective product.

Edited by Scootiecat

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Scootiecat claimed an item off the free thread, and I shipped it before receiving payment for the shipping costs. Scootiecat then could have neglected to pay and I would have been out nearly $10, but that didn't happen. I was reimbursed promptly and I have to say that the whole deal went smoothly. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...