IGNORED

Gwobby Strikes Back!

Here is the improved (and final!) version of...

Gwobby Strikes Back!

post-19705-129407912951_thumb.pngpost-19705-129407913884_thumb.png

Download here (XL/XE only): GwobbyStrikesBack-v1.1.ATR

New features:

•  
  • Now 130,321 different platform levels
  • Improved PMG animations
  • Additional death sequences
  • Easier - Harder platforms are held back for the first 4 screens
  • Easier - Power Orb can you give extra men
  • Easier - Power Orb reappears on early levels
  • If you fall off and manage to shoot a bad guy it breaks your fall (for a while anyway!)
  • Pressing a key during loading skips the intro screen
  • Slightly faster, better jumping, plus many other tweaks!

The original version was entered into the abbuc software contest 2010 and is reviewed in the current abbuc magazine #103; it was also reviewed in Atari User #3.

Have Fun ;)

p.s. It's Gwobby and not Gwobbly retro gaming sites :D

p.p.s. for Altirra select 'System' 'Firmware' '600/800XL' (does not run on default kernel - if you haven't already got it you will need to save the 'AtariXL.ROM' file from the xf25.zip available here, into the altirra folder).

• Like 1

Has this even been on cartridge? I'd like to pick up some homebrews for XE on cart. It's the one system I don't have any homebrews for yet. That Bomb game the polish dude is selling on eBay always alludes my high bid. Don't know why some people make it so hard. Maybe I should just get the Atarimax thing, is that plug and play with roms like this one?

AX

Has this even been on cartridge? I'd like to pick up some homebrews for XE on cart. It's the one system I don't have any homebrews for yet. That Bomb game the polish dude is selling on eBay always alludes my high bid. Don't know why some people make it so hard. Maybe I should just get the Atarimax thing, is that plug and play with roms like this one?

AX

You should be able to put Gwobby and lots of other great homebrew titles on one of Steve Tucker's Atarimax carts which will make them plug and play - you just select the game you want to play from a menu just like with the old disk based game loader menus.

Thanks for the comments guys :thumbsup:

A key and fun part of Gwobby Strikes Back is that it is a "shoot 'em plat"... not sure if people have fully realised this so I've posted a video showing level 16 on the Gwobby Web Site (bottom of the page, may take a few moments to load so leave the page open and it will play)

The video posted on atarionline.pl for the best game of 2010 vote is someone badly playing the first two levels which doesn't do the game justice ;)

The two baddies home in on Gwobby (Our Hero) from the top right (EvilEmperorNyorb) and bottom left (BlueCat) and have some logic to aim towards you, fortunately they can shoot each other too, and you get the points. If you ever played Chuckie Egg and wished you could shoot that darned Mother Hen then this is the game for you :D

Hey 'atari frog' is that one of the guys here if so own up :?: ... thanks for more than slating my game on your (french) web site :x ... a small taster "No, the most irritating is that this software so lacking in originality that it is reasonable to wonder if this is not a joke. Or did I miss something?" so on the A8 other plaformers where you collect things shoot are... Pharo's Curse? maybe minimal shooting aspect and ... I think the key point is the originality... if you only played the first few levels they do look very similar and simple deliberately to make it easy to get into, again checkout the video of a later level on the Gwobby Web Site... anyway I'm pleased with it and think it holds it's own even being a non m/c game,and it's in ~38K that was available to turbo basic. I suppose any publicity is good(?), the real endeavor was to learn new things and secretly round up a few more players from around the world to play in the High Score Club (message in the scroller)... oh and please remind me what you have released and I'll review it objectively here too :P

That's a rather nasty little review, maybe he's on blob..

Seriously tho, it's a platformer with shooting which it does very nicely, the graphics are good, its fun to play, what's not to like about it. I do hate the old originality bash, I've seen it many times over the years and its always used incorrectly and for the wrong reasons. How do you easily revolutionise a platformer, you might as well say Jump Man is a waste of time, Chuckie egg, boring nonsense, Mr Robot, tedious crap...

But they are not and they follow the format nicely by being fun and playable.....PLAYABLE....

Gwobbly ticks that box and others for me and THAT is what counts.

As someone who has been struggling until lately to find the time to start writing for the A8 again I'd say firstly congrats on producing a finished complete game! I completely understand how much time these things devour.

Of course the fact the GSB is such a fun game to play makes it even better :)

Wow - that review was rather uncalled for! They say that all opinions are like assholes, but that one was particularly stinky.

Congratulations on releasing a finished and very playable game. That's more than most have managed to do, present company included.