IGNORED

Yars' Revenge-type game

atari2600land

Related links:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/170090-im-doing-it-wrong-but-it-works/page__view__findpost__p__2103953

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/121295-batari-wrote-an-example-of-yars-revenge-ion-field-awesome/

[Oops, I see one of the links was posted already. I started replying, then had to walk away and help watch a baby for a while.]

Edited by Random Terrain

here's v2 with per-line color, but you lose missile1 due to the multicolor player1.

It should also be noted that you can change the height of the effect with player1height, so you could create a zone that shrinks or moves around, or do something entirely different, like a transporter effect.

rem the energy barrier has large areas of blank space because this is a short program

set kernel_options player1colors

dim p1clo=player1color
dim p1chi=player1color+1

datastart
const datastarthi=(#>.datastart)

player1x=50
player1y=90
player1height=90
player1pointerhi=datastarthi
p1chi=datastarthi

gameloop
player1pointerlo=rand/2
p1clo=rand/2
rem COLUP0=rand
REFP1=rand
NUSIZ1=$07
drawscreen
goto gameloop

Cool, thanks! I took your code and expanded on it even more, making this demo version (you can tell it's a demo because the colors change every 5 seconds like the early Atari 2600 games did when you first turn them on.) A surprising fact: when having player1colors on, putting "player1color=f" actually works for a one-pixel-tall sprite. I haven't checked this for sprites taller than this (which would be just about every sprite imaginable!)

yar2a.bas

yar2a.bas.bin

Cool, thanks! I took your code and expanded on it even more, making this demo version (you can tell it's a demo because the colors change every 5 seconds like the early Atari 2600 games did when you first turn them on.) A surprising fact: when having player1colors on, putting "player1color=f" actually works for a one-pixel-tall sprite. I haven't checked this for sprites taller than this (which would be just about every sprite imaginable!)

Well done! Go all the way good sir, and prove it can be done with bB!

Yes, but the score still wobbles. What is causing that?

I see what you mean - I was testing on the earlier version, so I missed the wobbly score thing.

It looks like the kernel bug is still there... it appears to be triggered when you use no_blank_lines and pf_scroll.

Here's an unofficial fix. Stick the attached std_kernel in your yar build directory, remove the .txt extension, and rebuild your binary.

std_kernel.asm.txt

I can't guarantee that I haven't introduced some other bug with this, so don't replace your official kernel with it.

[edit - anyone wanting to see the change, just search for comments with "RevEng"]

Edited by RevEng

• 3 weeks later...

Been slaving away at this for hours now since the last version. I've included a lot of things, including sfx. One thing I am having trouble with is thinking about how to display the Zorlon cannon. If anyone has any ideas, feel free to reply.

I looked at your code and you set kernel_options player1colors no_blank_lines so that means no missile0 && missile1 available, right? So you must use player1. I was just messing around and I came up with the following for using player1:

fire button - shoots the cannon

joystick - move yar guy

in the code set ZORLONMAXCOUNTER = 1 to draw it every frame or ZORLONMAXCOUNTER = n to draw it every n frames (this is so you can draw other things with player1 on the 'off' frames for the zorlon cannon).

zorlonCannonPlayerSprites.bas.bin

zorlonCannonPlayerSprites.bas

I also did version using the missiles, but I don't think it came out so good and you aren't using them any way, but here it is:

zorlonCannonMissiles.bas.bin

zorlonCannonMissiles.bas

My code might be messy and totally not what you're looking for, but I thought I'd show what I came up with.