IGNORED

Defender map doesn't work?

bad4brain

Hey guys. Defender is currently my favourite game on the Colecovsion.

But one thing that bugs me is the fact that the map at the top of the screen only displays the terrain and not the enemies :(

Me and a friend of mine tried two different cartridges and also two different systems (PAL and Secam).

And now I found this video on youtube where the maps seams to be working fine:

Does anyone know what's the this? Is there a way to get the map to work?

thx,

Felix

I'm thinking if I remember correctly its the PAL/SECAM systems that don't display it.

I'm not sure but I think it doesnt work on the ADAM standalone too, I might be wrong on the later.

You're right about it not working on the ADAM. When I ran the users group/mail order, we used to include a patched version of Defender on Data Pack or Disk with the CIB Defender cart.

Super Cobra also has issues with the ADAM Stand-Alone. The Exp. Mod. #3 ADAM does not experience these problems.

I'm thinking if I remember correctly its the PAL/SECAM systems that don't display it.

I'm not sure but I think it doesnt work on the ADAM standalone too, I might be wrong on the later.

I can confirm that it is a PAL/SECAM issue. I used to play Defender on my CV when I lived in the UK and the scanner never worked. Playing it now on my NTSC CV here in Canada and the same cart has the scanner working. I suspect that it has something to do with the difference in the number of lines each TV standard displays, i.e. PAL has fewer lines than NTSC.

I can confirm that it is a PAL/SECAM issue. I used to play Defender on my CV when I lived in the UK and the scanner never worked. Playing it now on my NTSC CV here in Canada and the same cart has the scanner working. I suspect that it has something to do with the difference in the number of lines each TV standard displays, i.e. PAL has fewer lines than NTSC.

That's a weird bug! It's doubly weird because although the number of lines in the video signal differs, it does NOT differ in the video chip (both are 256x192 resolution)!

Is it the same ROM image in both PAL and NTSC? Do emulators show the problem? I would find it interesting to take a look and understand why.

That's a weird bug! It's doubly weird because although the number of lines in the video signal differs, it does NOT differ in the video chip (both are 256x192 resolution)!

Is it the same ROM image in both PAL and NTSC? Do emulators show the problem? I would find it interesting to take a look and understand why.

AtariSoft really did a strange job programming Defender. It works okay in NTSC Colecovisions. The scanner doesn't work in AdamEm or in PAL Colecovions. And in standalone Adam Computers the joystick/fire buttons don't work right.

I just bought Defender.I don't know what it goes for, but i got it for $5.00, loose, mint label, along with several other CV titles.I love it, great game!

I really don't see how you can go wrong for $5 for any CV cart. Sure you can get them cheaper than that, but what's $5 get you anymore.