IGNORED

2600 Gravitar - all I can say is WOW!

ComputerSpaceFan

I missed out on the 2600 version of Gravitar back in 1988 (I had sold my 2600 by then because I was moving to a different country) and all I can say is this game is an amazing port of the coin op!

I played the original coin op back in the day and enjoyed it, although I definitely found it a challenge. But it was a great combination of Lunar Lander and Asteroids, two of my favorite cabs.

I was aware that a 2600 version existed when I joined AtariAge but I reckoned it would be like most arcade ports and suck compared to the original (Missile Command, Space Invaders, and Centipede notwithstanding) so I never bothered to try it out. Besides, I have the coin op on my MAME machine and find I don't really play it much due to the challenge difficulty.

Well thanks to the Greatest Hits Volume 1 on DS collection, I decided to give the 2600 version a whirl and I am very glad I did! This is a truly great port, and I actually find the challenge level slightly more achievable.

A big shoutout to the makers of this game and it should definitely go on any of those threads I read about "which 2600 version was bettter than the original".

Gravitar is an outstanding game, one of my favorites. It's my friend John's favorite game too.

And it's usually pretty cheap. At least it was when o'shea was selling it new for $2 :cool:

Great game!

And Thomas is right, Thrust! is also amazing, if slightly different take on the same thing.

I have wanted this on VCS for awhile, but do not want to pay high prices I have seen on epay. My local game store had it for $9.99 and I thought that was too much. Maybe I am just cheap.

4Jays was selling them for around $7.00 new in box last year. It might be worth it. Maybe? It is a great game.

I have wanted this on VCS for awhile, but do not want to pay high prices I have seen on epay. My local game store had it for $9.99 and I thought that was too much. Maybe I am just cheap.

I promise you that if my local Game Over has a copy, they'll charge no less than $59.99. :(