IGNORED

Questions about Atari CX-80 and CX-22 Trakball controllers

OldSchoolRetroGamer

I have a Colecovision trackball and a 5200 trackball and am considering a 2600 trackball which I understand is also compatible with the 7800 and the atari computer line? In my limited search so far I see there are 2 models? Atari CX-80 and CX-22 Trakball? Is one more preferable? Are they both fully compatible? Any advantages / disadvantages to either? Please give me opinions and comments on this thanks.

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer

There are two different versions of the CX-80 Trak-Ball. The earlier CX-80 version (and the CX-22) use one type of output for true trackball mode, which is compatible with the XL-series etc. computers but not the ST series. The later CX-80 version uses a different type of true trackball mode output which is compatible with the ST series computers (as an ST mouse). All of these types work with 2600/7800 consoles in joystick mode with joystick games.

Modern hacks of VCS games to use a trackball in true trackball mode (is Missile Command the only one?) need to use a CX-22 or early CX-80 I think, unless the hack is available in two versions. I might be mistaken though. Anyway, no original VCS games are written to use either Trak-Ball style in true trackball mode, so IMO it's fairly pointless to get a Trak-Ball to use with only the 2600 and/or 7800. In my experience, they don't work as well in joystick mode as a real joystick.

Apparently, even for the 8-bit computers, there's only one original game (Missile Command) written to use a Trak-Ball in true trackball mode.

Edited by A.J. Franzman
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...