IGNORED

Steering Wheel powered by Roller Controller cable

Yurkie

Thanks to Slowcoder for the idea.

I tested the cord powering the "Roller Controller" and it connects to the +5v line and the negative line on the power plug.

It is real simple all you need is a dead roller controller for a donor power cord and grommet.

Please wear safety glasses when soldering and cutting the notch for the grommet. It's not worth risking losing your eye sight.

The cable even has a white stripe on the positive lead. Solder the white striped lead to spot where the red wire coming from the battery terminal connects to the pcb. Solder the other wire ( the one without the white stripe to spot where the blue wire connects to the pcb. I don't understand why the negative wire is blue, it should be black, but oh well.

Cut a notch for the grommet in the top half of the steering wheel case. Put it back together and hook up the power like you would the "Roller Controller" power. Notch should be about .230" wide and .230" deep. And positioned about 4.8" from the left edge to the center of the grommet. This give the mod a clean look since the center of the controller cable is about 4.8" from the right edge.

I used calipers to measure the location and the size of the notch for the grommet.

Here are 2 pictures for reference.

First is the top half of the steering wheel module laying wheel down on my work bench.

Second pic shows the power cord coming out of the steering wheel housing.

I tested this for about an hour and a half of continuous Turbo gaming. I don't think there are any problems with this, but it is "at your own risk".

If you like this + 1's appreciated.

post-23318-129614888154_thumb.jpg

post-23318-129614889873_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

I bought another roller controller off ebay. I might have to leave this steering wheel like it is and play some more. I was having a lot of fun playing Turbo today. Hassling with a perm-a-power or using batteries always discourage me from using the steering wheel. I love plugging it in like the roller controller.

If anyone wants to do this mod and doesn't solder you can cut the wires between the pcb and the battery terminal and splice the wires from the roller controller to these. Wrap the wires with electrical tape after you get them sliced together.

I cut the notch in the top housing of the wheel with a small x-acto hobby knife, like this one.

http://www.xacto.com/Product/x3601

I doubt there will be interest in having this mod done (since it is an easy DIY), but anyone that is interested that sends me a working steering wheel and a roller controller cord (cut the cord off right where it solders to the roller controller board). I will be happy to mod it for $15 plus return shipping.

• 4 weeks later...

Dudes and dudettes:

This is totally worth sharing.

I just found out that not only does http://www.collectorscardsandgames.com/new/Colecovision.html have Roller Controllers new in the box for $15, but they also have JUNK ones that he's willing to part with for $5. You can snag the cords from them and get this mod done!

I've ordered lots of stuff from this guy and he's very reliable.

ACCESSORIES

Colecovision Expansion Module #1 $12 allows you to play Atari 2600 games on your Colecovision system.

Colecovision Steering Wheel-for use w/ racing game Turbo $15

Colecovision roller controller w/ Slither game $10

732-792-8430 * E-mail: info@collectorscardsandgames.com

Dudes and dudettes:

This is totally worth sharing.

I just found out that not only does http://www.collector...lecovision.html have Roller Controllers new in the box for $15, but they also have JUNK ones that he's willing to part with for $5. You can snag the cords from them and get this mod done!

I've ordered lots of stuff from this guy and he's very reliable.

ACCESSORIES

Colecovision Expansion Module #1 $12 allows you to play Atari 2600 games on your Colecovision system.

Colecovision Steering Wheel-for use w/ racing game Turbo $15

Colecovision roller controller w/ Slither game $10

732-792-8430 * E-mail: info@collectorscardsandgames.com

I bought my roller controller from him a couple of years ago and concur with Madaracs. I'd do business with him again.

• 2 years later...