IGNORED

HSC Season 3 Week 26: Q*bert

Q*bert

A two-legged, big-nosed, orange creature jumps diagonally around on a pyramid, changing the color of the blocks he lands on. Avoid most moving objects and characters while luring Coily, the snake, to his demise by jumping off the edge of the pyramid onto one of the flying disks. The game has nine levels of four rounds each.

Game Information

Game Name: Q*Bert [uS set 1]

Released By: Gottlieb, 1982

MAME ROMset: qbert

Dip Switches: Internal Defaults

Chosen By: patbb

ROM Location: http://romhustler.net/download/mame/3686

Twin Galaxies MAME World Record: 11,058,270

Note: The use of the trick to cause all enemies to disappear is BANNED.

Competition ends Sunday, February 6 @ 12PM EST

Leaderboard

1. 343,380 patbb

2. 99,010 riffraff

3. 65,765 jasonbar

4. 19,915 chuckwalla

5. 19,400 wizmo

6. 17,235 rmaerz

7. 9,000 roadrunner

8. 5,775 LarcenTyler

Season Standings

Calculations through week 25

1. patbb 1179

2. rmaerz 1089

3. roadrunner 859

4. FlyingTurtle 346

5. LarcenTyler 294

6. Zoyx 189

7. Dr Galaga 147

8. ClassicGMR 128

9. jasonbar 50

10. HatefulGravey 38

11. LaserHawk 30

12. homerwannabee 20

13. 4Ks 18

14. Mister VCS 16

15. chuckwalla 6

Edited by rmaerz

The late Doris Self's Q*bert score (tournament settings): 1,112,300

My score to kick things off: 6,800

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSn4CRMDHWg

CBS News - great story!

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=757374n

Wasn't she a great lady? Too bad I never met her - she look's like one of the nicest people you could ever meet.

Edited by rmaerz

Wasn't she a great lady? Too bad I never met her - she look's like one of the nicest people you could ever meet.

I was thinking the same thing ... She went to the FunSpot tournament a few time I think?

Her high score with marathon setting is over 24 millions!!!

I was thinking the same thing ... She went to the FunSpot tournament a few time I think?

She talks about Funspot in the CBS News story and how they gave her a cocktail cab which she wasn't used to playing.

And of course, she was in King of Kong which they dedicated in memory of her.

She talks about Funspot in the CBS News story and how they gave her a cocktail cab which she wasn't used to playing.

And of course, she was in King of Kong which they dedicated in memory of her.

I did not see that cocktail Q*Bert at Funspot, did you?

I did not see that cocktail Q*Bert at Funspot, did you?

I wasn't looking for it and did not see one. But...

Do you recall that in the room where they had the Aurcade scoreboard there was a door in the left corner? Gary Vincent took me back there and showed me the area behind the wall that had the scoreboard projected. It's actually the ceiling for the bowling alley and they are going to expand the ACAM in that area. It may be under construction during Funspot this year if they haven't completed it last summer (it wasn't going to be done at this time of year because of bowling leagues).

Anyways, he said that they have (at least) another 150 cabinets sitting in storage. So, maybe that's where the Q*bert cocktail is now.

But, I did get to play the Stratovox cocktail which was really cool! I can't remember what the other cocktails were.

I just read this post from Gary Vincent:

The American Classic Arcade Museum (ACAM) in Weirs Beach, NH has many projects in progress and we need your support to see them through to completion. While the museum has approximately 280 games currently available for display, we have almost as many games in storage that are in need of restoration. This includes early black & white discrete logic games from Atari, multiple conversion games for Pac-Man cabinets, and rarely seen laserdisc games such as Interstellar by Funai. ACAM would like to get these games restored so they can be enjoyed by the public. We also have several ongoing maintenance projects that need financial support.

To help meet the funding needs of these projects, ACAM is kicking off 2011 with a fundraiser. Our goal is to raise $25,000. All donations to ACAM are tax-deductible. Please make a tax-deductible contribution today and help us reach our goal so these games can be preserved for all to enjoy.

The American Classic Arcade Museum is host to the annual International Classic Video Game Tournament. The tournament will be held June 2-5, 2011. This year marks the 13th year for the event that features the best classic arcade gamers from around the globe. The museum occasionally takes some of its collection “on the road” for display at major gaming events & conventions such as the annual PAX-East convention in Boston, MA.

The American Classic Arcade Museum is the first 501c3 organization dedicated to the preservation and play of vintage arcade games. The museum contains a combination of popular and obscure games from the classic days of video arcades. ACAM is located on the third floor of the immense Funspot Family Entertainment Center, which has been certified by Guinness World Records as the largest arcade in the world. ACAM has been featured in such popular films as “The King of Kong” & “Chasing Ghosts: Beyond the Arcade.” ACAM’s next appearance on film will be the upcoming “Doctor Kong.” This new documentary movie features New York plastic surgeon Hank Chien & his quest for the world record on Donkey Kong.

ACAM was recently named as one of the 33 shrines every sports fan should visit by ESPN: The Magazine. Repeatedly hailed as the "Mecca" of classic gaming by such organizations as MSNBC, Geek Out New York, The Thrillist, Joystiq, Yahoo!, and Edge Magazine. ACAM is located in Weirs Beach, NH and is open year round. Go to www.classicarcademuseum.org to donate today.

Edited by rmaerz

I just read this post from Gary Vincent:

The American Classic Arcade Museum (ACAM) in Weirs Beach, NH has many projects in progress and we need your support to see them through to completion. While the museum has approximately 280 games currently available for display, we have almost as many games in storage that are in need of restoration. This includes early black & white discrete logic games from Atari, multiple conversion games for Pac-Man cabinets, and rarely seen laserdisc games such as Interstellar by Funai. ACAM would like to get these games restored so they can be enjoyed by the public. We also have several ongoing maintenance projects that need financial support.

To help meet the funding needs of these projects, ACAM is kicking off 2011 with a fundraiser. Our goal is to raise $25,000. All donations to ACAM are tax-deductible. Please make a tax-deductible contribution today and help us reach our goal so these games can be preserved for all to enjoy.

The American Classic Arcade Museum is host to the annual International Classic Video Game Tournament. The tournament will be held June 2-5, 2011. This year marks the 13th year for the event that features the best classic arcade gamers from around the globe. The museum occasionally takes some of its collection “on the road” for display at major gaming events & conventions such as the annual PAX-East convention in Boston, MA.

The American Classic Arcade Museum is the first 501c3 organization dedicated to the preservation and play of vintage arcade games. The museum contains a combination of popular and obscure games from the classic days of video arcades. ACAM is located on the third floor of the immense Funspot Family Entertainment Center, which has been certified by Guinness World Records as the largest arcade in the world. ACAM has been featured in such popular films as “The King of Kong” & “Chasing Ghosts: Beyond the Arcade.” ACAM’s next appearance on film will be the upcoming “Doctor Kong.” This new documentary movie features New York plastic surgeon Hank Chien & his quest for the world record on Donkey Kong.

ACAM was recently named as one of the 33 shrines every sports fan should visit by ESPN: The Magazine. Repeatedly hailed as the "Mecca" of classic gaming by such organizations as MSNBC, Geek Out New York, The Thrillist, Joystiq, Yahoo!, and Edge Magazine. ACAM is located in Weirs Beach, NH and is open year round. Go to www.classicarcademuseum.org to donate today.

I also saw that.

I will make a donation during the tourney next June.

OK, this was a good game, as far as my skills go, & I'll be pretty busy until this competition ends, so I think this will probalby be my final score submission. Too bad, I'm getting into Q*Bert & would like to get to know him better.

Thanks,

-Jason

post-13110-129671625247_thumb.png

Hey folks:

If you haven't posted your nominations for the upcoming President's Day tournament you have until this Sunday, Feb 6th at noon EST.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/175542-hsc-season-3-presidents-day-tournament/page__view__findpost__p__2184533

Any games you nominate that are not played in the tournament will be added to your game request queue.

Edited by rmaerz