IGNORED

Next version of bB

batari

Could someone (Jurrell?) post a complete folder with new bB version (if possible without personal add-ons).

I've tried to upgrade my folder with new bB version but the resulting .bins don't work.

By "complete folder" do you mean everything in a single folder instead of divided up into subfolders?

Michael

Michael,

I mean a folder with all needed files (divided in subfolders when necessary).

For example, ScumSoft posted his folder with Visual bB and previous bB version and it worked well.

If you're using Windows, I've just edited the batch file slightly to make Windows happier. Try unzipping the attached file into your existing folder and trying again.

Michael

2600bas.zip

Fred, your demo and my program compile fine, but I get garbage on screen.

Therefore I need a working folder with all necessary files.

If your program seems to compile fine, but you get garbage on the screen, what cartridge format (romsize) are you using for your program-- is it 8kSC or another Superchip option? If so, you might try changing the game properties in Stella to specify the cartridge type, because "garbage on the screen" is one of the things that can happen if Stella doesn't auto-recognize that your game is a Superchip game. It seems to be a more common problem with 8kSC than with 16kSC or 32kSC. Of course, if you aren't using the Superchip option, then this may not have anything to do with it-- but you might want to manually select the cartridge type in Stella, anyway, just to see if it helps.

Michael

Edit: PS, can you post a screenshot of what the garbage looks like?

Edit #2 -- Never mind, I didn't realize Fred posted a corrected includes file. :)

Edited by SeaGtGruff

Fred, your new msdpc.bas compiles and works perfectly.

Thanks Michael, but we are testing new DPC+ kernel.

I think I have to change something in my (attached) LEM programs that worked with bB v1.1c thanks to Jurrell.

In fact now I get those messages when I compile it:

DASM V2.20.07, Macro Assembler ©1988-2003

free ram: 9

DPC free RAM=

bytes of ROM space left in bank 1

bytes of ROM space left in bank 2

bytes of ROM space left in bank 3

bytes of ROM space left in bank 4

bytes of ROM space left in bank 5

bytes of ROM space left in bank 6

bytes of ROM space left in graphics bank

DPC free RAM= 603

-112 bytes of ROM space left in bank 1

1100 bytes of ROM space left in bank 2

3906 bytes of ROM space left in bank 3

3906 bytes of ROM space left in bank 4

1156 bytes of ROM space left in bank 5

3923 bytes of ROM space left in bank 6

3361 bytes of ROM space left in graphics bank

DPC free RAM= 603

-112 bytes of ROM space left in bank 1

segment: 1fd4 eqm vs current org: 2044

L.E.M. DPC+ 3.bas.asm (4055): error: Origin Reverse-indexed.

Aborting assembly

Errors were encountered during assembly.

L.E.M. DPC+ 3.bas

Edited by Philsan

There is only 123 bytes of ROM space left in bank 1 after the update, so move everything critical for startup into bank2 like I mentioned in the PM Philsan, I personally use bank5 for startup code. All the new features might be what is taking up the extra space.

I've been making some major changes to EggVenture, and now with these new features I need to go and remove all my amazing collision detection code in favor of this new method :) it should be much nicer.

Thanks for the update! Will let you know what I encounter.

[edit]

Hmmm, something seems to be off. It's setting to 261 scanlines per frame, and the graphics are majorly skewed.

I setup a fresh install of this, so I'm not sure if this is caused by something else or not.

[edit2]

Okay looks like this is required now before it will work properly.

set kernel_options collision(playfield,player1)

Edited by ScumSoft

Memory in bank1 is decreased so I put main loop on bank 2 and now my program compiles.

But nothing appears.

With previous bB version program worked.

Hey Philsan, your program needs to make the bank jump to a label in bank 2. Something like:

goto StartSetup bank2

rem  *****************************************************
rem  * BANK 2
rem  *****************************************************
bank 2
rem fix for issues running on harmony cart, place right after bank declaration 
temp1 = temp1

StartSetup
rem REQUIRED DPC+ POINTER SETUP
rem DF0-3 control PF
rem DF4 controls PF colors
rem DF6 controls BK colors
rem these are all in fractinal increments, DF4 and DF6 should be double the value of DF0-3
rem Currently set to a playfield height of 23 lines tall for ScoreRegion fix
DF0FRACINC = 32 
DF1FRACINC = 32 
DF2FRACINC = 32 
DF3FRACINC = 32 
DF4FRACINC = 64
DF6FRACINC = 64

Otherwise, the kernel is just running and doing nothing.

Edited by jrok
  • Like 1

Michael,

I mean a folder with all needed files (divided in subfolders when necessary).

For example, ScumSoft posted his folder with Visual bB and previous bB version and it worked well.

Yeah this might also help others who are having trouble getting everything sorted out and working.

Latest bB + visual batari build as of 7/29/2011

One thing that wasn't included in batari's update was the updated DPCplus.arm, which caused the playfield bounce to return. I've added it and everything in this build should be the latest.

Try this folder and see if everything works for you guys.

Edited by ScumSoft
  • Like 1

The msdpc.bas I posted was stale. Let me know if this compiles and works.

EDIT: does this version work for anyone?

I get the following errors when trying to compile the example:

C_function               0000 ????         (R )
font                     0000 ????         (R )
scorecolor               0000 ????         (R )
player0xcoll             0000 ????         (R )

EDIT: I think it's because I some older modified asm that was being included from my source folder. Haven't figured out which one yet, but when I compiled from a fresh folder with no includes it worked just fine

Edited by jrok

Here is the latest build. It fixes many of the issues that have been reported since the last release, and adds some requested features in DPC+. I added:

multiple player definitions (untested)

pfpixel, pfvline and pfhline

Collision detection:

* Pixel-perfect collision(player#,player#) where # is 0-9, for any two real or virtual player sprites (doesn't support NUSIZ changes yet, sorry.)

* A kernel_option controls an in-kernel read of a standard hardware collision register (example: set kernel_options collision(player1,playfield) will return the y-coordinate where the first such collision occurs, so you can later figure out what sprite it was.) Value is returned in temp4 after a drawscreen.

Smooth scroll in from left or right (upper two bits of NUSIZ control this.)

There is more, and I'll expand on that later.

This is great, Fred. Thanks!

A couple of questions:

* Would it be possible to include support for collisions between missile0/1 and a virtual sprite?

* If we aren't using the playfield pixels in our program, is there a way to recover that memory for other uses?

* I noticed that when we use the pfscore option, the pfscore2 bits are mirrored on either side of the score. Not sure if this is a bug or not.

Edited by jrok

Try this folder and see if everything works for you guys.

Thanks for putting it together, but I just tried it and after setting up VbB and restarting, when I try to compile an older, normal program with it, the compiler crashes and VbB crashes not too long after that. I've tried multiple times with different .bas files, but the compiler still crashes and so does VbB soon after.

I thought I'd try what you uploaded because I've been working on a scrolling example program and although batari said that bBWin7_64bit.zip was the most up-to-date, the score is bouncing again. If I remember correctly, the bouncing went away using the random fixes posted here:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/133529-updated-bb-files-to-download/

Now I don't know what version to use or what random files I should be replacing.

Question:

Does anybody know what files I can safely apply from the 2008 update thread to bBWin7_64bit.zip without screwing things up?

Thanks.

I'm not sure what might be causing the crashes for you, most everything seem to compile fine on my end.

Would you mind attaching a .bas which doesn't compile so I could have a look?

The playfield bouncing is caused by older DPCplus.arm versions, get the latest from the package I attached (can't find where Batari originally posted the file right now) it is the same one Batari posted which fixed this problem.

I think I've read somewhere here where it was being talked about bB.v11d causing compile issues and that using bB.v11c resolved them for now.

So try what I've attached below, bB.v11c + updated DPCplus.arm + custom2.bin update. No Visual Batari included, just replace your existing Atari2600\bB folder with the contents of this one.

[edit]by the by, the bBWin7_64bit.zip was upto date when it was posted, however all the new releases are newer than that one and x64 compatible, from bB.v11B onwards I believe.

Atari2600_2011_08_08_144525.zip

Edited by ScumSoft