IGNORED

PROJECT: TI-99 Global Database :) - Project Started -

ti99iuc

Hi !

i'm starting seriously ;) to upload on my site the software i have for ti99 (from cassettes and diskettes) on a FTP section on my site.

But I would like some advice from you. Now I'm creating. dsk to 360KB for each program. So in the end I will have the program and one or more screenshots in a. rar archive.

i would want attach an exemple but i can't attach a .rar file so i write a final name file exemple:

(Eng) - namefile1 - (1980) - (XB).rar

(Eng) - namefile2 - (1981) - (B).rar

(Fr) - namefile3 - (1984) - (B).rar

(Fr) - namefile4 - (1982) - (XB).rar

(Ger) - namefile5 - (1987) - (EA5).rar

(Ger) - namefile6 - (1985) - (MM).rar

(Ita) - namefile7 - (1985) - (B).rar

in the .rar better .dsk or another?

all files are divided in directory and organized for kind.

i thinked a .dsk becouse same program are not only one file but some, so, in the .dsk will contain all the files.

the .rar it's needed for contain in ,one file only, a .txt, some .bmp with screenshots, and a .dsk

i would like have your suggestions about this... if you have some other ideas you are welcome ;)

at the end of this (BIG and LONG :) ) work i would want have a full, big, good, organized, complete database of the software that exist for TI99.

thankYou all !

Edited by ti99userclub

I know there's a lot of work involved with these tasks (putting up programs etc.), and of course I welcome your/any initiative.

We already got similar services like

ftp://ftp.whtech.com

http://planet-99.net

http://mitglied.multimania.de/bromosel/Ti99/99down.htm

And categories will always be debatable.

Then we have something like

http://tigameshelf.net

And I must say I like to be able to browse through screenshots and read smaller descriptions before downloading etc.

I think it would be cool, if one could search programs (articles and more) for different keywords, like "space shooter", "maze", "1986" or even "jim dravis", and then have a list of screenshots and descriptions. Maybe the community could design a user interface together, trying to get most angles, and then let everyone update the database (programs/games/screenshots - maybe even magazines - you name it), and perhaps have a few administrators release the entries (to maybe avoid duplicates and trash/misunderstandings) ?

Guess we would even have to agree on formats, automation etc. Like I thought "zip" was favoured over "rar" - for whatever reasons. Maybe you should be able to read the source instantly, if there is any (not having to further download, emulate or extract) ...

:)

I know there's a lot of work involved with these tasks (putting up programs etc.), and of course I welcome your/any initiative.

Then we have something like

http://tigameshelf.net

And I must say I like to be able to browse through screenshots and read smaller descriptions before downloading etc.

Hi SomeTimes99er, first of all thankyou for the answer.

i know all the sites you mentioned but are real different from what i have in mind...

a lot of section of my site are really work in progress, and in reality i think that whtech.com (i have purchased for $55 the two DVD with all the site) have a lot of material but is not good organized... a lot of material is in .max and some have a very hugly quality... the software (but also other directory) organization is confused...

the one i like too much is tigameshelf, and i like a lot how the site appear, but i have 10000 files of programs to upload on my site, there are software form Germany (in German), or in Franch, or in Italian, Spanish... i would want list all in my site...for exemple, i purchased about 150 floppy disk from germany, a lot of original software and i would want to put all disks images on my site ! with original manuals scansion and picture of original support with label (disk or cassette)... ! :D

I think it would be cool, if one could search programs (articles and more) for different keywords, like "space shooter", "maze", "1986" or even "jim dravis", and then have a list of screenshots and descriptions. Maybe the community could design a user interface together, trying to get most angles, and then let everyone update the database (programs/games/screenshots - maybe even magazines - you name it), and perhaps have a few administrators release the entries (to maybe avoid duplicates and trash/misunderstandings) ?

Guess we would even have to agree on formats, automation etc. Like I thought "zip" was favoured over "rar" - for whatever reasons. Maybe you should be able to read the source instantly, if there is any (not having to further download, emulate or extract) ...

also in this i'm agree with you, i'm working for search engine, but at the moment i must prepare a good DB for managing all the names, a search engine as similar type you can found on my site in "Materiale" (in english "all the things" ;))... there is "Ricerca Avanzata"... (you can look and let me know please ? ;))

in the future ftp DB will be is an image preview of what you looking for and at now who want can upload new entries... one is my friend Ermanno Betori, or Alessandro Benedettini that help me sometime ;-) already.

in the FORUM will be implemented an automatic traductor (you can see it in the site pages already), and in Computer Section i will put all the other information on projects and other things, for know all theese information also to the italians that do not know the English or not so good(like me :-)).

Instead i think will be good to convert all .rar files in .zip. this evening i will do (thankyou for your advice;)), and i will add some other software too...

PS: i hope to have write in a clear english... i only know the English School :D. (and google Translate !!! ;D)

Edited by ti99userclub

Hi there!

I am actually in the preparations of the specifications for a web project, which will be a website for all TI-99 programs.

Besides giving screens and informations about the program, the user can download the program, if it's Public Domain.

This project will not violate copyright! This is important to me and to have support of the TI community.

There will be User Roles like Editors and Users.

Editors may add and update content (program entries) and approve content, entered by Users.

Users can comment, rate any program, and enter content for approval of Editors.

Any member of the TI community can become an Editor, it will be a manual appointment however. The web project is successful, if it will becomme the number one source for TI software information on the web. The project will need the support of the TI community. I see my job to provide the best platform for this. Entering data on a program will be as easy as filling out a form, you won't need any programming or html skills!

By using a CMS (Content management system) and defining a very specific Template (think of a Form) which will be filled out when data is entered, it can later be searched by every field (Title, Author, Company, Required Hardware,...), Keywords etc...

Example: You will be able to easily get a view of all Extended Basic Programs using the Speech Synthesizer.

The website will be visually dominated, you will browse through title screens, screenshots...

The key to this project is really the template for a program entry. I don't like to add/change things after content is already entered.

So preparations will be intense as they are key to success.

Once I have a draft for the program data template I will ask for feedback from the community.

Careful, that german site(.de) is heavily riddled with ads.

whtech is of course, the sauce

planet-99.net requires registration for some reason. I did register a while back and got spammed a bit with no way to easily shut it off.

You live, you learn. tigameshelf is the best though for games & the instructions needed(e/a option 3 or 5) to get them, and in emulator + native formats!

• Like 1

The more the better. Please feel free to take anything of use to you from the TI Gameshelf site.

Yes ! i think the same ;)... and thanks about yourpermission on use of material of ti gameshelf !... just now i will do priority on my material on floppy in italian and other languages... after i will organize other games... but at now i think i must program better the ftp download section.

it's need more time for be programmed as i would want and how could be interested for all us ;)

whtech is of course, the sauce

planet-99.net requires registration for some reason. I did register a while back and got spammed a bit with no way to easily shut it off.

You live, you learn. tigameshelf is the best though for games & the instructions needed(e/a option 3 or 5) to get them, and in emulator + native formats!

Yes i seen there is a very large program... just in my mind and idea is to divide all software from original collection too... every program a single disk...

another question that i need suggestion about is if is better .dsk or a format ready to star on emulator... i use classic99... but i saw that also v9t9 or mess or other use a different format... which emulator choice ? the best i think should be upload all format but i think meanwhile i need to start with one... or create all in .dsk pc-99 format to use with bagnaresi's utility ? in this format will easy to create with ti99dir the format for use with emulator...

i need suggestion for this also... yoursuggestion will be welcome ! ;)

Let me Know, Thank You! ;-)

Hi there!

I am actually in the preparations of the specifications for a web project, which will be a website for all TI-99 programs.

Besides giving screens and informations about the program, the user can download the program, if it's Public Domain.

This project will not violate copyright! This is important to me and to have support of the TI community.

There will be User Roles like Editors and Users.

Editors may add and update content (program entries) and approve content, entered by Users.

Users can comment, rate any program, and enter content for approval of Editors.

Any member of the TI community can become an Editor, it will be a manual appointment however. The web project is successful, if it will becomme the number one source for TI software information on the web. The project will need the support of the TI community. I see my job to provide the best platform for this. Entering data on a program will be as easy as filling out a form, you won't need any programming or html skills!

By using a CMS (Content management system) and defining a very specific Template (think of a Form) which will be filled out when data is entered, it can later be searched by every field (Title, Author, Company, Required Hardware,...), Keywords etc...

Example: You will be able to easily get a view of all Extended Basic Programs using the Speech Synthesizer.

The website will be visually dominated, you will browse through title screens, screenshots...

The key to this project is really the template for a program entry. I don't like to add/change things after content is already entered.

So preparations will be intense as they are key to success.

Once I have a draft for the program data template I will ask for feedback from the community.

Like the idea of using a CMS and getting different editors. Perhaps you can also setup some kind of multiple language support.

I'm quite sure there are more TI'ers out there that would like to contribute, but are a bit afraid of having to write in english.

Take a look here for an example of a multi-language site.

I don't see it as heavily riddled with ads. Many sites and services have ads.

planet-99.net requires registration for some reason.

You're able to upload stuff and use site-wide-mail, I think that's the overall reason why.

I did register a while back and got spammed a bit with no way to easily shut it off.

If the spam were notifications (unfortunately also info about deleted material), you should be able to get rid of those in the account/profile preferences. If not, please do contact the owner.

It depends on what you're looking for. The tigameshelf only has what the owner thinks it worth while (nothing wrong with that). I went through the Bromosel site looking for inspiration (tigameshelf has more like "finished" items).

I too like what I'm hearing ! :)

It depends on what you're looking for. The tigameshelf only has what the owner thinks it worth while (nothing wrong with that).

Absolutely true :D That said, only the most horrid material is kept at bay, as it would only clutter the site and provide little entertainment value. Another criteria is that I try to avoid multiple versions of the same game (Frogger prominently comes to mind for example as there are MANY variations out there) unless they are coded in different languages or are of high quality. There is certainly a lot of subjectivity on my part, and for that I must apologize, but as much as I want to be democratic about posting all material, there are other considerations here, in both quality and time/effort needed to post an item.

BTW, I also heavily utilize the Bromosel archive for new material, especially when my review pipeline is low :)

It depends on what you're looking for. The tigameshelf only has what the owner thinks it worth while (nothing wrong with that).

Absolutely true :D That said, only the most horrid material is kept at bay, as it would only clutter the site and provide little entertainment value. Another criteria is that I try to avoid multiple versions of the same game (Frogger prominently comes to mind for example as there are MANY variations out there) unless they are coded in different languages or are of high quality. There is certainly a lot of subjectivity on my part, and for that I must apologize, but as much as I want to be democratic about posting all material, there are other considerations here, in both quality and time/effort needed to post an item.

BTW, I also heavily utilize the Bromosel archive for new material, especially when my review pipeline is low :)

Well, i'm half agree.. :sad: ... my idea is to publish all material for ti99.. all versions... a global database of the exist software and hardware for ti99... the preview of every title can do a first image of what will be the game... naturally we know that if the game is in assembler will be better of another in basic... the only programs software i will not calculate will be the clone software... so a frogger version named "the big frogger" but is the same title of original "Frogger" well... this one i will not contemplate... istead if the same game is translated in other language (example Frogger in italian or in German) i will update on my site.

on the site we can search all Assembly games and we have the assembly quality... can choice after the correct format to download: Native, Classic99, v9t9, Mess, Wave (for someone ;) ). I Think will organize in this mode my website.

a thing similar to Mame Database. :D

I'd really appreciate it we could dampen the misperception that Classic99 has its own file type? :) I don't mind if Classic99 is noted in parentheses after the filetype, but I did not create any new filetypes and in fact, the number of filetypes in the TI world is one of my pet peeves, so it bugs me to have it listed as if I added to the mess. ;)

Classic99 can read V9T9 "FIAD" files, and standard TIFILES "XMODEM" files. By default, it writes the TIFILES "XMODEM" files. These (TIFILES) are native files for all intents and purposes and would be the same file you got if you uploaded a file using Telco from the TI to the PC.

Edited by Tursi

I'd really appreciate it we could dampen the misperception that Classic99 has its own file type? :) I don't mind if Classic99 is noted in parentheses after the filetype, but I did not create any new filetypes and in fact, the number of filetypes in the TI world is one of my pet peeves, so it bugs me to have it listed as if I added to the mess. ;)

Classic99 can read V9T9 "FIAD" files, and standard TIFILES "XMODEM" files. By default, it writes the TIFILES "XMODEM" files. These (TIFILES) are native files for all intents and purposes and would be the same file you got if you uploaded a file using Telco from the TI to the PC.

Perfect Tursi ! :D ... thank you to clarify my ideas :)...

but becouse is the first time i use TI Emulators I take this opportunity to ask another ;) ... in Classic99 i can use directly the .dsk i create with TIDIR ?... becouse at moment i use TIDIR to export the program in .dsk to DSK1 folder of classic99...

and i could not open the files .dsk with V9T9 option in classic99, maybe i wrong something ?

Thank You ;)

Classic99 can not read any kind of DSK files right now, it can only read individual files extracted to the PC file system. V9T9 supported both DSK and individual files, so that may be the confusion you are seeing.

You can use TI99Dir to extract the files in either V9T9 File or TIFILES format, and Classic99 can work with either.

These (TIFILES) are native files for all intents and purposes and would be the same file you got if you uploaded a file using Telco from the TI to the PC.

A main reason I use Classic99 exclusively as my emulator. =) I want as LITTLE conversion mess as I can get when I transfer via XMODEM. However, now that I do most of my TI "transfer" stuff using my CF7 instead of actually transferring via serial, it WOULD be nice to be able to use .dsk files... But you know, with the user-friendly programs, Classic99 AND TI99Dir, it only takes a couple minutes to take a Classic99 file (say DSK1) and convert the contents into a .dsk file and then mount as a CF volume. So, it's STILL fast and easy. =)

Classic99 is truly the best /4a emulator that exists for my purposes...: "coding" and testing code. The "CLIP," the "Paste" feature, the assembler allowing .txt files...

I still can't use the ToD Editor though. =(

TI99Dir has saved me a great deal of time in letting me put off DSK access, hehe. ;)

But it's coming when I get a few things off my plate here. It's not that hard, and when I rewrote the disk system I designed it to make plugging in other formats easier, it's just been a matter of time.

No rush, sir... :) As Classic99's master and creator, you have contributed so much to the community. =) You realize that without Classic99, there wouldn't be as robust a TI scene as there is now. :) I tried V9T9 in DosBox, I've tried Win99/4a, I tried MESS... None of them have the ease of use that Classic99 has and none of the authors are as engaged in the community as you are. Michael Zapf does a very good job with MESS, but it's MESSy. (couldnt resist) :)

I guess I'm just gushing now... The contest has really got me excited and playing all these games over the past month has re-energized me about my own projects again. :) I have a couple things I want to do with Classic99 that "bend" the rules a bit... we talked about this before, basically using Classic99 as a development platform for unique TI-99 "based" applications. I actually want to finish my RPG, release it to the TI community, but then I want to do a re-write, utilizing Classic99's SAMS support, speed fader, perhaps increased VDP space, etc... then perhaps we could do some business--- :lust:

Yes, I'm talking about the "wrap." I know we've discussed this before, but in going back through my notes on the matter, it's really something that I think COULD enhance our community by reaching out to other people and places... I don't want to hijack this thread though... =) I'll talk more about this in a few months when I have some stuff to show on the RPG-side... Last night I implemented the "Examine" routine-- allows the player to examine any tile he is touching and it returns information on that tile... for the time being, the only tile in the demo you can examine is the sword... you can also pick it up. =)

i agree with opry, Yes i tried a lot of ti99's emulator too and the best for me is Classic99... and i decide, i will use .dsk for my future ftp database and .zip files as container. i'm working for doing a good job about the Graphic Interface about software but other stuff too...

hoping that community will like my final work ;)... Classic99 is fundamental for this mine work. ThankYou Tursi !!! :-D

TI99Dir has saved me a great deal of time in letting me put off DSK access, hehe. ;)

So if I could easily attach a DSK to Classic99, I'd still need to know, what's on the disk (is XB and LOAD common ?). So maybe I could use Disk Manager or something, but still I would think the process would be slow and take more time, than simply firing up TI99Dir.

I was then thinking that you might somehow be able to add a command to TI Basic and XB like DIR ?

;)

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update:

The project goes on ;)

----------------------------------------------------

Download Area Project Ti99IUC

- The project in question involves the construction of a web interface for managing file uploads and downloads.

- The area will be developed through technology PHP, JavaScript / jQuery. Will be divided into two modules, one for management and one for display (I choise to not use a CSM).

- The download area will consist of two modes, Normal list and Extensive list.

In normal list mode displays a list of items consisting of:

*title,

*short description,

*category,

*code (ex. PHM0000),

*an image,

*rating,

*number of comments;

Selecting one of these you will go to full mode, where you will see in more detail the item:

*title,

*description,

*author,

*speech (yes/no),

*joystick (yes/no),

*language for program (Basic, XB, ASM ecc),

*written language (Ita, Ger, Fr, Eng, Spa, ecc..),

*date created,

*date last modified,

*other images,

*releated objects (to report clones or other languages for a same programs or documents).

no definite number of Categories and subCategory, however the main are:

Advertisements

Brochures and Depliant

Cartridges

Catalogs

Guide

Books

Manuals

NewsLetters

Magazines

Software

Miscellaneus

(you can see the actual directory structure on my site in "download" section)

- One and only one of the loaded images will be selected for use as a thumbnail for the item displayed in "normal list" mode.

- In the upload section will be possible to manage the various elements being able to specify the value for various attributes in addition to uploading images.

(will be some fixed rules for upload the materials and only authorized people will be able to do, -like now on my site-).

- Will be present on this section a "search" button with advanced search capabilities.

- If an object will be uploaded it will be signed as *new* for 15-20 days (i must decide).

- The documents will have .PDF or .Jpg extension

The Software will have .zip .dsk .bin extension

- Software will be downlodable for use with nanoPEB (on CF memory), Classic99 emulator and maybe Win994a.

an object can be searched by:

*word or a part of word

*code (es. PHM0000 or 1106439-001 or other)

*category (hardware, Software or Paper)

*Object Type (Cartridge, Magazine, Ads, books ecc...)

*manufacturer (T.I., Texaments, Asgard ecc..)

*with joystick

*with speech

*with MBX

*programming language (XB, Basic, ASM, ecc...)

*more downloaded

*more rated

What you think can be inserted more to organize all better ?

Please help me to do a good work ;)

Thank you ;)

;)

Hi!

There is (was) a nice conversation going on about my project ideas at OLUG:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ti99-4a/message/76300

I do think doing this without a CMS in the backend is a failure, because you get so much features by simply using one.

Giving the data structure is what makes the content valuable.

Think of this example: a website offers 100 ti-disks in one single zip package.

No further information, the user only gets disknames, and filenames.

The user has no idea which of the programs he already has in his collection or how to use the ones he may want to try out.

Any user will have to check the 100 disks with probably 1000 programs against his program collection.

I don't know how many people would really like to do this. In the end the zip gets stored on the harddisk and properly never touched again.

The content (here it's more likely data) is of not much value in this form!

How many games have you stopped within 2 minutes because you have no idea how to play them?

Same goes for programs. You probably won't ever touch those programs again.

Of real value is not the donwload itsself but the information about a program.

The opposite to this extreme example is what I have in mind.

A visually driven Wikipedia-like TI-99 information portal, which features a program information database and let you download PD-software.

With browsing capabilities like in Amazon where you can basically click on any actor, director, manufactor, genre to get a list of new items to explore, in a nicely image-driven view.

For the program information database think of background information, hardware requirements, software requirements, a manual, instructions, tips & tricks, title screens, sample screens, links to youtube videos where the programs gets used/explained or played. You will have the ability to comment exactly at the program entry if you have troubles...

You like how the author codes? Check out his other software by simply clicking on the authors name. Rate the author, comment on the author himself,...

This information around a program is all content and content should be managed within a Cootent Management System:

Publishing & Workflow process, Versioning, Multi-Language Support, Interlinking within articles, Security, User Roles, Content Folder Structure, defining structured Templates for each type of content, central Link Repository, multiple views, RSS feeds for updates. Using a CMS System you could let the system output a filtered list and create a PDF document for you using XSLT transformations! Imagine your 20 pages catalog with all information about your selection on a 1 program per page view ready to be printed. (We could even think about a text-only output view for access from a TI-99 in the future.)

Users without technical knowledge will be able to add content.

Such a project is predestinated for the use of a CMS, don't you think.

In the end, it's all content.

Perhaps we should talk together via skype, this weekend.

Having two 'concurrent' systems in development is not a good idea, especially for such a low numbered group of people.

I don't like the idea of building a FTP dominated service in the year 2011. There is so much more possible today.

Sorry for all the pro CMS talk but at work our team is responsible for the CMS system and its development, so that's why I can see so much benefits.