IGNORED

What is the probablity of ever finding a Battlesphere gold?

MAYAman

It's pretty obvious why Scatologic won't release any more runs of Battlesphere. They want to keep the game rare and have it keep its holy grail status. It's that simple. ;) I guess you can't blame them too much, they worked for many years on the game. It's a nice feather in the cap of the people that worked on the game. Releasing more and more copies would only dilute the aura around the game, and the value.

That makes me sick. I'll never get to own or play this game.

Tell me about it. All this guy has sold since November 30, 2006 is Battlesphere Gold, and that's just as far back as we're able to see. I'm telling you, it's a conspiracy.

Really? Just BattleSphere Gold? Thats damn peculiar.

That makes me sick. I'll never get to own or play this game.

Tell me about it. All this guy has sold since November 30, 2006 is Battlesphere Gold, and that's just as far back as we're able to see. I'm telling you, it's a conspiracy.

Really? Just BattleSphere Gold? Thats damn peculiar.

See for yourself.

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=captainawesome&&_trksid=p4340.l2560&iid=260785647733&sspagename=VIP:feedback&ftab=FeedbackAsSeller

Wait, so this crap has been going on for over 5 years? What the heck? Even with the pledge to donate to diabeties research, with all the "rare and most sought and most coveted" tomfoolery in the description, I would have never thought that this was an official Scatologic listing. Nothing in the listing or captainawesome's profile states that it's an official Scatologic affair. Even in that topic, it still took half of the first page before somebody chimed in and informed the masses.

Of course the game is the most "rare and most sought and most coveted" Jaguar game. The Scatologic people themselves are fixing the market! Way to go, assholes!

The terms of the original BS release required all profits to be donated to charity. Stuff after that did not fall under that same agreement.

In fact, some BSGs were sold to buy Anti Piracy Mudflaps and Keychain Spy Cameras...

:lol:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/97749-because-battlesphere-uses-eproms-will-bit-rot-be-a-problem/page__view__findpost__p__1188266

• Like 1

The terms of the original BS release required all profits to be donated to charity. Stuff after that did not fall under that same agreement.

In fact, some BSGs were sold to buy Anti Piracy Mudflaps and Keychain Spy Cameras...

:lol:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/97749-because-battlesphere-uses-eproms-will-bit-rot-be-a-problem/page__view__findpost__p__1188266

It's funny to see many of the threads mentioned are locked. Ohhhhh, the apparent "good old days" I wasn't around to experience... :rolling:

• Like 2

Hi,

May I say: what the use of ever finding a Battlesphere gold?

Because of its rarity, it costs a lot of money: for collection purpose some are ready to spend with no limit but as a videogame does it only worth it? (especially compared to other Jaguar games)

Asking yourself that question leads to a beginning of the answer...

Edited by Felyx

Wait, so this crap has been going on for over 5 years? What the heck? Even with the pledge to donate to diabeties research, with all the "rare and most sought and most coveted" tomfoolery in the description, I would have never thought that this was an official Scatologic listing. Nothing in the listing or captainawesome's profile states that it's an official Scatologic affair. Even in that topic, it still took half of the first page before somebody chimed in and informed the masses.

Of course the game is the most "rare and most sought and most coveted" Jaguar game. The Scatologic people themselves are fixing the market! Way to go, assholes!

Captain Awesome is Thunderbirds account. I didnt pay attention to who the seller was earlier. I thought it was someone else who bought BS Gold in bulk back in the day.

Captain Awesome is Thunderbirds account. I didnt pay attention to who the seller was earlier. I thought it was someone else who bought BS Gold in bulk back in the day.

I thought so, too. For the original seller to be selling it in such a manner is just sleazy.

I finally cracked (see earlier in this thread) and I'm the one who won that last auction mentioned. I've wanted to play the game since I was drooling over it looking at the Battlesphere website years before it ended up actually being released. I had my name on the petition they had going where they wanted a certain number of names willing to buy it before the produced it. Years later, when it finally was released, I had sold my Jaguar and moved onto other things.

Years later I really regretted selling my Jaguar, and bought another one. I still wanted to at least play this game, so I've been after it. I just realized that I was never going to play it unless I choked up the cash at this point. I've told myself I'll open it carefully, play through it sufficiently, then resell it to recoup (hopefully most) of my purchase. We'll see if I actually have the will power to resell it.

Honestly, if the game's really as good as it's made out to be, I'd like to see it open sourced at some point or at least a ROM made freely available. It's a shame so many Jaguar fans aren't able to play what's hailed as the best game for the system just because there aren't enough carts to go around when there's other ways it could be played now.

-Dan

I don't think it's the best Jag game, MAYBE it's one of the best but... I played it and it's not my type of game. It's huge open ended space battle, so I found myself flying through space aimlessly a lot of the time. That got boring really quickly. But it is a deep game so if you are a patient gamer who is a big Star Raiders fan, this game is for you. For what it is, its a very polished game. I just didn't find it exciting enough.

Some of my favorite Jag games are some of the cheapest and least valuable. Cybermorph, Iron Soldier, Zool 2. :) Those go for 5 to 10 bucks lol. :D And I have more fun with them than Battlesphere. :ponder:

Edited by kevincal

I finally cracked (see earlier in this thread) and I'm the one who won that last auction mentioned. I've wanted to play the game since I was drooling over it looking at the Battlesphere website years before it ended up actually being released. I had my name on the petition they had going where they wanted a certain number of names willing to buy it before the produced it. Years later, when it finally was released, I had sold my Jaguar and moved onto other things.

Years later I really regretted selling my Jaguar, and bought another one. I still wanted to at least play this game, so I've been after it. I just realized that I was never going to play it unless I choked up the cash at this point. I've told myself I'll open it carefully, play through it sufficiently, then resell it to recoup (hopefully most) of my purchase. We'll see if I actually have the will power to resell it.

Honestly, if the game's really as good as it's made out to be, I'd like to see it open sourced at some point or at least a ROM made freely available. It's a shame so many Jaguar fans aren't able to play what's hailed as the best game for the system just because there aren't enough carts to go around when there's other ways it could be played now.

-Dan

Hi Dan, you've bought a "factory sealed" copy and paid a premium for it. Once you open it's value will drop, perhaps a good deal, so you might want to get an idea of how much you're likely to get on resale.

-Dan

Hi Dan, you've bought a "factory sealed" copy and paid a premium for it. Once you open it's value will drop, perhaps a good deal, so you might want to get an idea of how much you're likely to get on resale.

And this is what's wrong with the whole picture.

• Like 5

-Dan

And this is what's wrong with the whole picture.

It seems absurd that this game is commanding such a rediculous price, yet there is a midsummer proto that has yet to sell on ebay.

I wanted to speak to this point.

I think it’s important to point out that when I was growing up, I caught a piece of the Jaguar community as a boy. I saw the transformation of the system from a current generational system, to third party support, and to an open system. I saw Battlesphere come and go. I knew many of the personalities involved in the process. I know of all the grand work that numerous people did. More particularly, I saw how heated things got for Scatologic, when they were doing nothing other than helping the community out. If ever there was a lifetime achievement award for the Jaguar, I think such an award should go to Scatalogic and the work they did.

I see both sides of the paradigm well. When I needed money, I sold my copy of Battlesphere. Looking back at the folly that is life, I do regret selling my copy. When Battlesphere Gold came onto the market, I tried to preorder it, but the folks at Scatalogic wouldn’t sell to me. I feel that the game is their property and they can do what they want with it and sell to who they want. However, such a thing did leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Since I was a boy, I have always contributed to the community. I volunteer countless hours to my community and have always done my part for charity, be it through the various masonic bodies I belong to.

At one point in time, I offered to meet Scatalogic’s standards for another production of the game. They denied me this. And, so, I got in a verbal diatribe with the folks at Scatalogic. This resulted in my ban from their forums. Being young always makes for an interesting conversation.

For the folks that wish to own the game, unless you want to spend a small fortune, it will always be impossible. The situation of Battlesphere is much like trying to track down an old tin of Arcadia or Balkan Sabranie. It is possible, but very experience. Being an advocate of community driven projects, I feel this only hurts the Jaguar community.

For Scatalogic, it is horrible the amount of flack, name calling, etc. they have come under. All they wanted to do was help out the community. Numerous personalities put them on the cross and treated them like dirt. This only hurt the Jaguar community.

I do not know if either side is right or wrong. I have pondered this question from time to time and I do not have an answer. I know that Scatalogic is made up of great individuals. The lady that was married to Scott is nothing, but one of the sweetest, most talented, and caring personalities I have ever ran across. Scott is your computer nerd that emerged post 1960s. In many ways, Scott and Steve Wozniack are very similar people. Doug is an odd cat, for sure, but a real good guy. I feel he has every right to voice his feelings and I think his vocalizations on various matters only contributes to the Jaguar community. I do know the amount of name calling they receive only hurts the community.

When I played Battlesphere, I did not like it. At the time, I feel I was too young to enjoy the game. It was a mistake getting rid of the game. Not for the monetary value thereof, but due to the nature of me really never sitting down and getting a chance. Life’s vocations takes one in various pursuits that often negate the simply enjoyment that video games can provide.

A demand for Battlesphere is there. I do not feel we’ll ever see a never run of the game. I do not think that Scatalogic has to worry about the game being dumped. Jaguar emulators are in a state of crap, the best medium to play such games is always the console, etc. I would pay $300 for the game, but not the $1,000 it currently goes for. Such is life.

I do know my copy of Battlesphere went to a great guy in the UK. He still sends me updates on how much he enjoys the game. I am very glad it went to a real fan of the Jaguar.

Is Battlesphere the end all be all of the Jaguar? Well, it is certainly unattainable for many.

• Like 4

Blurb

Touching... :roll:

You'll rarely see anybody directing harsh words at Scatologic as a group, the vast majority of people have a great deal of respect for them and their work. We're grateful for Battlesphere and for their efforts in getting Hasbro to make the Jaguar public domain. However...

...Thunderbird as an individual is a entirely different matter, his recent contributions to the community have been nothing but divisive. Excluding the occasional insightful post about the Jag's technical capability or his experiences with Atari his sole output has been branding any person who dares to disagree with him "pirate scum" or a "thief". A terrible shame given his history and ability...

Thankfully, the community has moved on and members are starting to realise that there is no 'evil pirate horde' waiting to destroy the Jaguar scene. Paranoia has been replaced with optimism; new members can freely ask questions about emulation without being attacked. The point of a community is it to have people with a wide-range of views not a group of Zealots perpetuating a cult of personality.

Apologies for the somewhat off-topic post but I felt it was necessary to counter-balance the "Scatologic are being nailed to the cross for our sins" impression left by minux's post - it certainly isn't the case.

• Like 8

Blurb

Touching... :roll:

You'll rarely see anybody directing harsh words at Scatologic as a group, the vast majority of people have a great deal of respect for them and their work. We're grateful for Battlesphere and for their efforts in getting Hasbro to make the Jaguar public domain. However...

...Thunderbird as an individual is a entirely different matter, his recent contributions to the community have been nothing but divisive. Excluding the occasional insightful post about the Jag's technical capability or his experiences with Atari his sole output has been branding any person who dares to disagree with him "pirate scum" or a "thief". A terrible shame given his history and ability...

Thankfully, the community has moved on and members are starting to realise that there is no 'evil pirate horde' waiting to destroy the Jaguar scene. Paranoia has been replaced with optimism; new members can freely ask questions about emulation without being attacked. The point of a community is it to have people with a wide-range of views not a group of Zealots perpetuating a cult of personality.

Apologies for the somewhat off-topic post but I felt it was necessary to counter-balance the "Scatologic are being nailed to the cross for our sins" impression left by minux's post - it certainly isn't the case.

It wasn’t meant to be touching. It was to imply a retrospective take on the matter. I was involved with the Jaguar, since ’94, going back to the old days. I remember quite a bit of brashness towards Scatalogic on various forums, back in the day. Heck, I was one of them. When you look back at the wasted efforts, it all becomes very silly.

You seemed to miss my utilization of a past tense. I am not involved in the Jaguar community anymore. I check in every few years. Maybe, I will get back in, maybe not. It’s really not as important to me as it once was. I do not know of any current happenings with people being brash towards Scatalogic. You seem to be more current on the matter, so you would know better than I.

Browsing this forum, I do notice quite a few antagonistic remarks directed at them. You even go so far to single Doug out. I do not know the current history. If both of you are engaged in a current series of negative conversation, then I’d imagine it’s still the same: two kids bickering in the sand box. I do not know the current happenings.

Doug has never had an issue speaking his mind. I think for many people of the community, like those on JSII, it contributes to the liveliness of the community. For ones here, obviously, you all are getting something out of the same old, same old conversation. It seems to give everyone involved some entertainment, like a soapbox. This is the same conversation we were having a decade ago.

I don’t know if you all realize it, but Battlesphere is their property. They can do what they want with it. Sure, some of their justifications for not doing future runs are half baked, and I once called them out on me doing a run for them, even willing to accept their standards. They chose not to partake in my offer, which is fine. It is their game. Let me say it again, it is their game.

Let's not be irrational, if they felt the personal desire to do another run, they would do it. It is that simple. We can maunder around the issue all we want, make this more complex than it needs to be, etc., but the situation is that simple.

Part of the reason for my post was to throw my two cents in. I wasn’t looking for sympathy, justification of anything, etc. So, if you took it that way, you totally misunderstood me.