IGNORED

XF551 mod

walter_J64bit

All the DOS variants work with it, but that doesn't mean that DOS 2.5 will format out to 720K, any more than it would format out to 360K before the mod.

Bob

Is the 3.5 mod for the XF551 even worth the time and who can do this mod? What DOSes work with mod?

Oh, I didn't know that you can use any DOS. I take it with that mod, you can setup the drive with partitions to work like multiple disk drives in one drive. (like HyperXF with two partitions on a 5.25 drive)

Is the 3.5 mod for the XF551 even worth the time and who can do this mod? What DOSes work with mod?

Change the drive and plug in an EPROM? I think that's all there is to it. I use mine with SpartaDOS 3 & X.

Who moded your drive, is possible I can get him to mod my XF551?

Edited by walter_J64bit

Change the drive and plug in an EPROM? I think that's all there is to it. I use mine with SpartaDOS 3 & X.

Who moded your drive, is possible I can get him to mod my XF551?

I got it off of ebay more than 10 years ago - don't know who did the mod.

It looks very easy to do providing you can get the EEPROM burnt.

This has been discussed in here like 10 times..

Use the advanced search feature to search for threads that have "XF551" in the title.

All you need is a 720k drive mech, a 5.25" to 3.5" floppy connector adptor, and a 5.25" to 3.5" footprint drivebay adaptor with faceplate. You also have to jumper the 3.5" drivemech as DS0 instead of DS1.. And replace the ROM in the XF551.

Use the advanced search feature to search for threads that have "XF551" in the title.

All you need is a 720k drive mech, a 5.25" to 3.5" floppy connector adptor, and a 5.25" to 3.5" footprint drivebay adaptor with faceplate. You also have to jumper the 3.5" drivemech as DS0 instead of DS1.. And replace the ROM in the XF551.

Is it (by the way) possible to use High density disks? I've heard in the past that the Atari ST diskdrives would not be very pleased with them, because of a different BIAS of the magnetic film. Is this an issue?

HD diskettes are rather easy to get (new)

That sound easy to do. I might look into that, I'm not getting anywhere with try to find a 5.25" 360kb drive mech. :(

Do you all think this can work on the XF551, that's been moded to run a 3.5" drive. Disk drive EMULATOR"

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1106484968071?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=110648496807&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

That is a drive emulator for an Amiga or an Atari ST computer, not a disk drive upgrade.

Drive images are stored on a SD card, and the computer sees the images as if they are actual disks/drives.

The SIO2SD and SDrive are similar devices for the Atari 8-bit computers.

That actually works somewhat differently to one of our SIO2* devices.

It's a whole "lower level" of emulation in that it actually intercepts and interprets data and track movement commands that the controller sends to the actual drive mechanism.

I'd say it's entirely plausible that it might work with an XF551 drive in place of a 3.5" drive, just that nobody's tried yet.

Although it's a somewhat pricey purchase (won't surprise me if that ends over $100). You'd have no trouble moving it on if it didn't work on an XF drive.

All that aside though, it'd be an arse-about way to achieve the exact same thing that SIO2SD and SDrive do anyhow, plus it'd likely be a lot less flexible insofar as stuff like variable SIO speeds, and host-sent commands to do stuff like mount images.

Edited by Rybags

Dont buy that pile of crap..

DO not deface an XF551 with YET ANOTHER stupid flash device.. If what you want is a flash based disk emulator for the ATARI, theres plenty of them available..

Fix the drive RIGHT.. Dont be so impatient. Send me the drive and I'll fix for you for FREE.. You just pay shipping and parts. Or sell it to someone who will fix it. There are MANY people on here that would jump at the chance to buy a non-functional XF551..

And do what I already said.. READ ALL THE EXISTING XF551 THREADS.. Don't just start a completely redundant thread any time you have a question.. Use the SEARCH FEATURE first..

Edited by MEtalGuy66

Dont buy that pile of crap..

DO not deface an XF551 with YET ANOTHER stupid flash device.. If what you want is a flash based disk emulator for the ATARI, theres plenty of them available..

Fix the drive RIGHT.. Dont be so impatient. Send me the drive and I'll fix for you for FREE.. You just pay shipping and parts. Or sell it to someone who will fix it. There are MANY people on here that would jump at the chance to buy a non-functional XF551..

And do what I already said.. READ ALL THE EXISTING XF551 THREADS.. Don't just start a completely redundant thread any time you have a question.. Use the SEARCH FEATURE first..

Sweet! I'll MP here you soon, I'm going to be looking for something to ship the drive off in. :D