IGNORED

SUB HUNTER on C64, now ported to CPC... When A8 version?

José Pereira

Hi, never saw this untill today a video of the CPC version:

But it's indeed a port/conversion of the original C64:

It remembers many of some OceanDetox's things: Submarine and Torpedos.

It seems 4colours DLIs. BitMap Mode possible but how to create the different Sprites?

Seems also that each Fish and Submarine can possible be at 10pixels.

(Large width Sharks seems to move many of the times at a empty Background)

I think it's a very good and wonderfull to get with the larger 128colours/Luminances of A8 but always the less number of A8 PMs...

Would like to ear some ideas from you...

Greets.

José Pereira.

...But it's indeed a port/conversion of the original C64:

Especially the music in this video sounds awesome. I'm a bit surprised. Can I be sure this is really SID? Or, maybe 1 or 2 digivoices are used here? Or 200 Hz updates? Or stereo SID?

Hi, there's another video, poor looking but the Music it's different:

(seems the first isn't the real one, have to run it on an Emulator)

Sub Hunter_another C64 video

Looks like they've just made a game that looks like the intra-level part of Nebulus.

Fairly simple mechanics, don't know that it'd have a lot of replay value.

Yes or no...

It's still addictive to get rid of the attacking waves.

And sorry Mapa, but it has the "trying to shoot down Things" like Ocean Detox but more: also front shoot and speed get through Creatures.

Yes, many like Nebulus/Tower Toppler but more Things going on screen.

it looks like doable... at least the parallax could be improved...

Yes, karolj but I was trying to see/know how will you coders have the idea about the coloured sprites.

The screen Gfxs. are just DLIs. and there's even not more than four colours each Line (some parts one/two or three by Line)

If each sprite are 10pixels Multicolour, then only Submarine and one Enemy (more flickers) and like this it must go, probably with soft sprites.

Maximum number are ten creatures normal size(11/12pixels wide by 13->21pixels high) or two Sharks (moving only horizontal, that are two C64 Multicolour sprites) and two or fours bouncing creatures (normal C64 sprites sizes) that constantly goes into Sharks lines (probably one at a time possible)

Sometimes you have two Sharks crossing eachother in opposite direction (and it seems that the 2+2 sprites used and no other creatures crossing Sharks lines this time)

The Logic of the game sprites are:

-> Our Submarine fire a same 3colours smal Harpon/Fire in Horizontal and a Bomb down (like MaPa's OceanDetox)

This Bomb can be same PMs. as the Submarine as it goes down

-> Normally two creatures at the same line (sometimes three, when the first goes out there's a third one entry on screen)

For me it seems a good one to take advantage of A8 possibilities (Fine Scrolling, Large pallete,...) but always the Pms. problem

And again I come back with the same question, as I continue not to see a decent/like other machines have Horizontal Scrolling Shoot'em'Up...

Any ideas how you'll get this into A8?

Thanks.

greetings.

José Pereira.

Edited by José Pereira

it looks like doable... at least the parallax could be improved... ;)

You would think so wouldn't you, but on something infinitely scrollable like that how're you going to do that without it dissolving into a big pixely mess ?

I'd love to know how you'd improve it, because I'm a big lover of nice parallax effects, but don't see how you could reasonably do that any better in the A8 whilst still maintaining the same ?

You would think so wouldn't you, but on something infinitely scrollable like that how're you going to do that without it dissolving into a big pixely mess ?

I'd love to know how you'd improve it, because I'm a big lover of nice parallax effects, but don't see how you could reasonably do that any better in the A8 whilst still maintaining the same ?

Seeing thinhs in a simple way, isn't this different direction/speed many scrollers like in many Demos or the Frogger different creatures/Gfxs way?

Seeing thinhs in a simple way, isn't this different direction/speed many scrollers like in many Demos or the Frogger different creatures/Gfxs way?

It is, but I was curious was Heaven had in mind since the landscape contains craters (and things) that are a few charlines high, so simply scrolling each scanline individually isn't going to be so good since things would have to be scrolled at intervals of the object height otherwise it'd break down completely graphically..

Scrolling each scanline seperately with a nice repeatable background on it and then rendering the craters on top taking into account the skewed lines it sits over would be awesome though ;) Proper parallax :)

The layers could be done with bitmap regions, that'd give the added advantage that softsprite rendering should be quicker. Although that could mean 16K or more just for the backdrops.

Overlayed mountains or craters could be done by just rendering the tops as softsprites onto the "behind" layer. 2 or 3 pixels height would be enough to give the desired effect, so CPU time wouldn't be such a big issue.

Softsprite rendering would need to use a table-based system to calculate the offsets/bitshifts needed depending on which part of the backdrop each line resides on.

Alternatively the whole thing could be done in characters which would save the time of having to do LMS stores for every scanline but add the overhead of rendering softsprites as characters.

what I had in mind regarding the parallax was simply use more different scanlines... on c64 there are not many "regions" but on A8 you could use more... as mentioned... using antic e would then lead to scanline based parallax while using PMs multiplex for the game. or if using softsprite render them over the bitmap parallax.

See Starray on ST

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_3L63nCTmk

The layers could be done with bitmap regions, that'd give the added advantage that softsprite rendering should be quicker. Although that could mean 16K or more just for the backdrops.

Overlayed mountains or craters could be done by just rendering the tops as softsprites onto the "behind" layer. 2 or 3 pixels height would be enough to give the desired effect, so CPU time wouldn't be such a big issue.

Softsprite rendering would need to use a table-based system to calculate the offsets/bitshifts needed depending on which part of the backdrop each line resides on.

Alternatively the whole thing could be done in characters which would save the time of having to do LMS stores for every scanline but add the overhead of rendering softsprites as characters.

That's kind of what I was thinking, and it's something I've wanted to see done for a good long time..

Bitmap, and then have pre-compiled scanline sprites for each foreground object, then the x lookup becomes nice and simple and just able to jump to the function to render the correct shifted scanline of the sprite out taking into account the adjusted scrolled line position..

There's a couple of nice 64 demos, where the interleave is chosen nicely so there's a good overlap, but I reckon the A8 could do a much nicer job of it, and still have sprites on top being useful in a game rather than just some fancy arsed demo effect :)

what I had in mind regarding the parallax was simply use more different scanlines... on c64 there are not many "regions" but on A8 you could use more... as mentioned... using antic e would then lead to scanline based parallax while using PMs multiplex for the game. or if using softsprite render them over the bitmap parallax.

See Starray on ST

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=4_3L63nCTmk

Ah, good old Star Ray :) That'd look gone on the A8, and nice and simple to do..

Though I reckon you could make it look way better than the ST ;)

I don't think it's really critical... by the looks of the C64 one it's just a 50% reduction for each further away layer.

The "perspective" and speed relationships is arbitrary anyway - some games have 2 layers that are fairly close and a third that is way distant, others might have 1 close and 2 far away.

Edited by Rybags

That kind of thing - since it'd be LMS + HScrol changes, can be made to be as flexible as you want it.

Give it 8+8 bits positional + fractional control, if the fractional is never needed it's no great waste.

Then you can just tweak away and get what you like.

Also given that the game seems to have different modes of operation, there might be a case where you want everything real slow, others where you have it insanely quick.