IGNORED

Some C64 Games that Weren't!...

José Pereira

C64 Games that Weren't but were amazing 8some of them...)

-> ANASTHACIA is very good looking and seems a really tricky to ever get something colour looking like this into A8... and the Parallax Scrolling seems like Flimbo Quest...

The Game also are C64 RASTERs to get different Lines/colours and that would be A8 DLIs. also possible...

-> FEARS OF DARKNESS good looking (only impossible is the Hi-Resolution in the Trees) and the Music is one of the LN2 C64 version...

-> LOST ROBOT II it's tottally mix with Hi-Resolution colouring amazing and 100% sure no-one could get it in A8 :x

(like C64 would never get anything like PROJECT M ;) )

And that tall Trees Parallax effect?

Really, really amazing?

Comments?

And the first Part:

C64 game that never were_PartI

More some amazing looking good and also a "lots of" colour WOLFENSTEIN clone (at 1:40) with a "lots of, Mess of colours ;) "

José Pereira.

Bad video transfer or does most of the games scroll that crappy? Wasn't too impressed

Think the native frame-rate on YT for non-HD videos is 15fps. Even converting from a 30fps NTSC source doesn't always lend to a perfect 2:1 transfer, with every other frame/field being dropped. PAL or SECAM whose native frame-rate differs would certainy get the short end of it. So choppy is what we get. :/

I made the mistake of uploading my vids at the recorded res to YT. The scroller on the Chimera wip title for example looks like a coarse scroll now and MM looks like it has frame skip. I need to reupload them all again after scalling 200%.

Edited by Tezz

José, Cave Wizard (which was in that video) is also all in 100% Hires as well and is one of the best looking things ever I think.. I just wish the guy had carried on with it, and also been a bit more adventurous with the multiplexer for more on screen objects..

My personal favourite is Touchlight which I think has some of the nicest backgrounds in a c64 shooter, plus I've always wanted to steal their non-background backgrounds and try doing some parallax using those style patterns but with a software interleaved every other line blending of a sparse further back slower layer :) Just one of the ideas that sprung into my on seeing that first time..

Personally I thought you'd have been wetting your pants over Armalyte 2 ;)

-> LOST ROBOT II it's tottally mix with Hi-Resolution colouring amazing and 100% sure no-one could get it in A8 icon_mad.gif

(like C64 would never get anything like PROJECT M icon_wink.gif )

And that tall Trees Parallax effect?

Really, really amazing?

It's a sad thing they chose to limit the hires to brightness colours only, on the A8.

But we surely could have such games at several hues of one colour.

Particular in hires, such parallax is no problem for the A8.

And, btw. Project M. I wonder why the A8 seem to be the only machine that is able to have clean rendered Frames. Every game on the C64 that has something like "full screen 3D" shows heavy tearing. Other "3D" games do not really act like someone is "walking".

And, btw. Project M. I wonder why the A8 seem to be the only machine that is able to have clean rendered Frames. Every game on the C64 that has something like "full screen 3D" shows heavy tearing. Other "3D" games do not really act like someone is "walking".

There is no reason..

Cave Wizard (which was in that video) is also all in 100% Hires as well and is one of the best looking things ever I think..
Impressive work. Some of the ledges in the preview look very much like Black Tiger.

My personal favourite is Touchlight
Looks very nice, it's a shame that one didn't see the light of day, especially being so close to completion. BTW, what's up with the d64 image? Edited by Tezz

Looks very nice, it's a shame that one didn't see the light of day, especially being so close to completion. BTW, what's up with the d64 image?

It's a huge shame for sure..

As for the D64 ? No idea.. I assume you're running it on Vice ? Try enabling True Drive Emulation, if I recall it needed that..

I do feel i have to ask this question...

why are you looking at stuff like this that was never finished on a c64?

there is usually a good reason it was never finished. and that usually revolved around the fact that the games were designed around c64 demo routines by demo writers generally, which meant once the "fun" bit of the visuals were done, reality dawned and the coder realised he was unable to actually bolt a game into it.

wouldnt it be better to take something simpler technically but with an actual game in it to convert?

my personal favourite for a conversion/reboot would be:

Highnoon

very playable, graphically possible without too much effort and open for expansion technically.

Steve

And the first Part:

C64 game that never were_PartI

More some amazing looking good and also a "lots of" colour WOLFENSTEIN clone (at 1:40) with a "lots of, Mess of colours icon_wink.gif "

José Pereira.

And it shows tearing.... again. Which means , not all content of a frame is drawn within a frame.

That's what double buffering is for..

my personal favourite for a conversion/reboot would be:

Highnoon

very playable, graphically possible without too much effort and open for expansion technically.

Steve

Wow! We used to play it for hours :)

Totally forgot about that one... Got to go now and play it :D

ps. Yeah, with those blocky pixels it begs for A8 reboot :thumbsup:

Anyone has a theory, why C64 always shows tearing using 3D "fullscreen"?

Actually, even Rescue on Fractalus shows it. Not much there, just 1-6% Pixel were drawn in "another" frame.

Many Demos use this to have the look of more fluent animations.

Is this a "special" feature of the VIC2 for saving some CPU cycles? Or has it to do with writings into Colour RAM?

If double buffer is the solution, why isn't it just used?

Most YouTube videos are recordings from emulation.

Such recordings shouldn't be trusted.

Then you have the frame rate differences, so again Youtube not showing a good representation.

But even a proper capture from real hardware will have it's problems - they will either retain an interlaced picture at 25/30 FPS which gives combing artifacts, or blend fields which doesn't look much better, or discard half the fields which will make the video look jerky.

The "proper" way to represent old machines is for the video to be at 50 or 60 FPS "progressive", but you don't often see it in digital form.

Edited by Rybags

Most YouTube videos are recordings from emulation.

Such recordings shouldn't be trusted.

Then you have the frame rate differences, so again Youtube not showing a good representation.

But even a proper capture from real hardware will have it's problems - they will either retain an interlaced picture at 25/30 FPS which gives combing artifacts, or blend fields which doesn't look much better, or discard half the fields which will make the video look jerky.

The "proper" way to represent old machines is for the video to be at 50 or 60 FPS "progressive", but you don't often see it in digital form.

Nonono. I'm not talking about "video" issues.

Just compare:

Mood seems to build a complete "game frame" in up to 3 visible frames. In Katakis everything is fluent.

Anyone has a theory, why C64 always shows tearing using 3D "fullscreen"?

Actually, even Rescue on Fractalus shows it. Not much there, just 1-6% Pixel were drawn in "another" frame.

Many Demos use this to have the look of more fluent animations.

Is this a "special" feature of the VIC2 for saving some CPU cycles? Or has it to do with writings into Colour RAM?

If double buffer is the solution, why isn't it just used?

No theory needed, it's the same reason people have given when you've asked the same thing in previous threads and it's the same reason any game will tear not just C64. It's taking over a frame and not double buffering. Project M, I'm pretty sure, doesn't run in a frame either. If you double buffer and your're updating the whole screen every frame, rather than drawing changes from the previous frame (likely with wolf style games) most people sync to the VBI to avoid the tearing you'll still get switching buffers mid-screen which will slow the game even more (if you sync to VBI and your game only takes 2.2 frames to process it'll now take 3) but you don't need to do that, just switch when the scan is before or after where the updates are happening, the shorter the changing display area the more chance you've got to do that without wasting time.

*edit*

You're right about colour ram, it's the one thing that can't be double buffered on C64 so if your render requires it you've got to do it at the end as quickly as possible, with something like 3D you could create a double buffer for the info as everything else was being rendered but you'd still have to dump that to the video ram at some point.

Edited by PeteD