IGNORED

Is my Atari Hit DS vol 2 defective?

I just got Atari's Greatest Hits vol 2 for DS and loving it. However I think it might be defective. I can't fire in Red Baron using the left shoulder button. I can fire using A but I am holding the stylus in my right hand so I really need to use the left shoulder button. The left shoulder button DOES work in other games on the cartridge, just not in Red Baron (which sucks cuz Red Baron is a big reason I got the collection).

I tried changing the control option from touchscreen to flight stick but that doesn't really help.

I might take my cart back to the store and exchange it. Is mine defective or am I missing a configuration step here?

Okay my cartridge really must be defective. All of the 2600 paddle games only use the A button for Fire. That could not possibly be right. They wouldn't have made the mistake of programming the DS version to only use A for Fire and not any of the shoulder buttons, would they? Doesn't everyone hold the DS in one hand and use the stylus (required for paddle games) with their other hand? Am I nuts for thinking programming the DS version to then also require a person to push the A button with the hand that is holding the stylus is a bad design choice?

This better be a defective cart and not the intended design.

Aww, I liked the first one. Tempest was a pretty good port.

I agree, and Tempest used the shoulder buttons to fire.

Surely I am not expected to drive and accelerate in 2600 Night Driver with the same hand!?

are you guys talking about this one...

post-9102-129978662591_thumb.jpg

If so I don't believe you, that was the worst piece of shit I ever played :P

I just got Atari's Greatest Hits vol 2 for DS and loving it. However I think it might be defective. I can't fire in Red Baron using the left shoulder button. I can fire using A but I am holding the stylus in my right hand so I really need to use the left shoulder button. The left shoulder button DOES work in other games on the cartridge, just not in Red Baron (which sucks cuz Red Baron is a big reason I got the collection).

I tried changing the control option from touchscreen to flight stick but that doesn't really help.

I might take my cart back to the store and exchange it. Is mine defective or am I missing a configuration step here?

I have the same problem. It would appear as though you 'should' be able to use the left shoulder button because if you hit SELECT during the game and pull up the game options, the upper screen shows a diagram of the DS showing the controls and clearly the Left shoulder button 'should' fire.The instruction manual also says you should be able to as well.

I have entered a support ticket at Atari.com to see what they say.

Edited by mckafka99

I have the same problem. It would appear as though you 'should' be able to use the left shoulder button because if you hit SELECT during the game and pull up the game options, the upper screen shows a diagram of the DS showing the controls and clearly the Left shoulder button 'should' fire.The instruction manual also says you should be able to as well.

I have entered a support ticket at Atari.com to see what they say.

Yeah I just took my supposedly defective cart back to the store and got a replacement. Same issue. So this flaw is programmed in here. What a let down. And the truly mind-boggling thing is for 2600 paddle games the only button you can use for fire is A, no shoulder buttons at all. I can't believe they would have intentionally programmed it that way.

So if I want to play Circus Atari or Night Driver I have to put my DS down on a desk, use the stylus in my left hand (not good for a right-handed person) and hit A. Same thing with all the other paddle games but at least they don't use the fire button too often so I can live with it. Night Driver and Circus Atari really really need you to hit the fire button often.

Seriously bad programming if you ask me.

If I was reviewing the cart I would take away major points for this design choice.

Weird thing is, Shane R Monroe made no mention in his review and he's usually pretty thorough. Maybe he got a different version that uses shoulder buttons?

Seriously bad programming if you ask me.

It was an oversight, and I'm very sorry that it's compromised some people's enjoyment of the game. Though, really, I'd like to believe the programming could've been "seriously bad" in many many ways that it was not. We certainly gave it our all. It's amazing to me that no one of the 30+ people from Code Mystics, Atari or the QA house brought this up during development. (Personally, I'm often not 100% clear on what traditionally right-handed people are or aren't comfortable with, so this one slipped by me. I thought of it in terms of driving games where the left hand is on the steering wheel and the right on the gear shift.)

Sorry, I was too harsh there, I apologize. It was my frustration talking. This is still a great release, I hope my comments weren't disrespectful of the awesome work your team did. I'm sure I can make this work by setting the DS down on a table or something.

The collection has a heck of a lot of great value, especially considering the price.

It still is a great game cartridge, despite this minor flaw, which is definitely very minor, so please accept my apologies for my earlier tone.

I'm still looking forward to picking them up. It doesn't have to be perfect, a few flaws is fine. I still stand by my comment for Retro Atari classics though, not sure if you helped on that one Jeff but it was horrible.

I promise you I had absolutely nothing to do with Retro Atari Classics. :) I can't say it appealed to me either.

FWIW, I have never done an update and NOT included the authentic classic mode as an option. I'm the kinda guy that is more likely to watch the 1977 version of Star Wars than the special editions...

• Like 2

Is it possible to update/patch or download as much to fix this issue, at least for the DSi versions? (didnt know if the DS can get updates?

Perhaps there can be corrections made, a new run made and these 'slightly defective' carts can be collectors items in 30 years. ;)

btw, I ditto the comments that this is still a great release :thumbsup: . I have only one more question....is there any hope of a Volume 3?? The one arcade game I still would have loved to have seen is Quantum. :)

Edited by mckafka99

Is it possible to update/patch or download as much to fix this issue, at least for the DSi versions? (didnt know if the DS can get updates?

Perhaps there can be corrections made, a new run made and these 'slightly defective' carts can be collectors items in 30 years. ;)

btw, I ditto the comments that this is still a great release :thumbsup: . I have only one more question....is there any hope of a Volume 3?? The one arcade game I still would have loved to have seen is Quantum. :)

No, it can't update. Nor can any other DS game, if there are updates, it's saved into the savefile and not the game itself. So, all games would still be defective, even with the update.

It can't update because there's no Wi-Fi programming, to my knowledge.

I also doubt that there will be a Volume 3, just get Stella for DS. Runs pretty smoothly, has a few little annoyances, screws up on a few of my ROMs. E.T. plays fine, though.

Only practical solution I can think of would be an Action Replay code.

btw, I ditto the comments that this is still a great release :thumbsup:

Thanks and thanks everyone. I gotta say I was unhappy to hear there were any problems at all. I'm glad it didn't ruin it.

I have only one more question....is there any hope of a Volume 3?? The one arcade game I still would have loved to have seen is Quantum. :)

Unless sales shock people, I would expect this would be the last Atari retro release for DS, but that's not to say there aren't other platforms.

Finally saw a copy tonight at ToysRUs and at $19.99 it was a pretty good deal... I looked at the shelf and all $19.99 games were 25% off! So it was only $14.99... can't wait to crack it open and play it now!

And the talk of the problem with the game... that sounds good to me... lol I'm a left so it may play great for me! :)

Looking forward to Crystal Castles arcade... a top 10 game of all time for me!

Do you know if Crystal uses the stylus? That would be sweet if it did, would finally be able to play a port that could at least keep up with the spped of the trackball.

You have two choices: Bentley will follow the stylus if the game is on the bottom screen (default) or you can use a virtual trakball on the touch screen with the game on the top screen.

Do you know if Crystal uses the stylus? That would be sweet if it did, would finally be able to play a port that could at least keep up with the spped of the trackball.

You have two choices: Bentley will follow the stylus if the game is on the bottom screen (default) or you can use a virtual trakball on the touch screen with the game on the top screen.

Now THAT sounds SWEET!