IGNORED

Forum Suggestions

Albert

I take that back; the mobile skin works fine. I'm liking it. :)

Glad to hear that--it does make surfing (and posting to) the forums much easier on my iPhone. I also use the TapATalk app, although it's not perfect (doesn't support the Sphinx search engine I'm using, so it's not 100% functional--I hope they fix this soon).

..Al

Not every topic does it, but check out the second topic "The last good console generation" in both pics. The first pic is what the topic looks like without the cursor on it, the second pic is what the topic looks like after the cursor is on the same vertical level as the topic. When the cursor is moved down below the topic's level or above the topic's level it returns to what it looked like in the first pic. So, as the cursor is moved down the page there is a lot of movement going on.

I see--the icon you're seeing allows you to get a preview of the topic if you click on the icon. This mainly shows up in some (many? all?) search results, such as "View New Content". When just browsing forums, this topic preview is automatic if you hover over the topic title. Ultimately that is how it will work across the entire forum, probably in version 3.2 of the forum software. That is, there won't be an icon such as you're seeing, you'll just be able to hover over the title to get a preview, even in search results.

..Al

Does this upgrade give us the ability to see on our profile pages where reputation points are coming from? I don't care who is giving them, but it would be nice to know which posts are getting reputation points. If I had posts that have received reputation points listed on my profile page, I could study them and make sure I never make posts like that again. :D

Speaking of rep points, when the next upgrade happens, it would be nice to have anonymous rep points and a separate 'Like' feature that lists user names. You could publicly Like a post or anonymously give it a rep point. For example, if somebody is arguing that smoking around children is a passive form of abuse, a dozen or more people might agree, but they'd only agree by giving an anonymous rep point. They would never publicly Like it because they like to ride fences and hate rocking boats. An anonymous rep point would be drama-free for them. They'd get to express themselves a little without fear of being seen to have an opinion.

Edited by Random Terrain

Just out of curiosity.. I'm not sure if the "my content" link could be modified to sort the displayed results by posts with the most recent replies. For some reason this changed a long time ago and never was really changed to it's old (expected) behavior. As you can see, right now it's all over the map. :lol: It's not that huge of a deal obviously.. but would be nice. :P

post-31-0-60029500-1300371140_thumb.gif

Edited by NE146

Does this upgrade give us the ability to see on our profile pages where reputation points are coming from? I don't care who is giving them, but it would be nice to know which posts are getting reputation points. If I had posts that have received reputation points listed on my profile page, I could study them and make sure I never make posts like that again. :D

No, although there may be a modification that gives you that ability.

Speaking of rep points, when the next upgrade happens, it would be nice to have anonymous rep points and a separate 'Like' feature that lists user names. You could publicly Like a post or anonymously give it a rep point. For example, if somebody is arguing that smoking around children is a passive form of abuse, a dozen or more people might agree, but they'd only agree by giving an anonymous rep point. They would never publicly Like it because they like to ride fences and hate rocking boats. An anonymous rep point would be drama-free for them. They'd get to express themselves a little without fear of being seen to have an opinion.

The next version of the forum software introduces a "Like" system:

http://community.invisionpower.com/blog/1174/entry-5844-ipboard-320-new-reputation-mode-like/

..Al

Just out of curiosity.. I'm not sure if the "my content" link could be modified to sort the displayed results by posts with the most recent replies. For some reason this changed a long time ago and never was really changed to it's old (expected) behavior. As you can see, right now it's all over the map. :lol: It's not that huge of a deal obviously.. but would be nice. :P

This is a known issue, one that should be addressed in the next version of the forum software (3.2), although I'm hoping a patch may be released sooner:

http://community.invisionpower.com/tracker/issue-25512-find-my-content-messed-up-order/

..Al

Can I disable the preview bubble that comes up when I hover on a link? It's a nice idea, but there's way too much lag for it to be useful. It doesn't pop up until I've already clicked the link to open a new tab. And it stays around for while, so if I want to click another link to open another new tab, sometimes I have to wait for the bubble to disappear.

• Like 1

Can I disable the preview bubble that comes up when I hover on a link? It's a nice idea, but there's way too much lag for it to be useful. It doesn't pop up until I've already clicked the link to open a new tab. And it stays around for while, so if I want to click another link to open another new tab, sometimes I have to wait for the bubble to disappear.

You cannot do that now, but I can look into adding a setting that disables it. I know this feature will be expanded upon and improved in the next forum update, but that is likely a few months out. The delay is to prevent the popup from displaying as you move your mouse around without actually stopping over a topic title. What browser are you using?

..Al

I noticed that the forum software now converts plain old YouTube text links into embedded videos. Seems a little goofy since not all YouTube videos can be embedded (the player will embed, but the video won't play). Some videos are blocked and that's why only a link is posted. You might want to mention that to the IP.Board people.

One thing I noticed from before vs. after the upgrade, when I hit New Posts before it would give a list of threads that have new posts in the,. Now when I do it gives each thread multiple times depending on how many posts. It ends up being a LOT of threads with all the repeats. Just an annoyance but it's there, not a big deal.

Nathan

• Like 1

I may not be understanding RT's question, but you can indeed see who gave reputation points to which specific posts.

What? This is what I want it to do... I want to have a preview when hovering on a topic title (like some forums do) rather than having to click on that icon (which is nice also with the choice between first and last posts). Or is this not what you mean? If it is, it's not working for me at all, Mac Firefox 9.0.597.102 (yeah, I need to update).

Also, I would LOVE an ignore topic feature as mentioned above. Especially if it was available right from the topics listings. I could just click off to ignore any threads that are of no interest to me and never see them in the listings again. That would be incredible.

Edited by Mirage
  • Like 1

I may not be understanding RT's question, but you can indeed see who gave reputation points to which specific posts.

Yep, you're not understanding. I have thousands of posts floating around out there and I keep getting reputation points, but I don't know which posts are receiving them. It would be nice to know which posts are getting reputation points. A handy tab on my profile page that lists all posts that have received reputation points would be nice.

Yep, you're not understanding. I have thousands of posts floating around out there and I keep getting reputation points, but I don't know which posts are receiving them. It would be nice to know which posts are getting reputation points. A handy tab on my profile page that lists all posts that have received reputation points would be nice.

Uhhhr, have you looked at your profile page recently? :ponder:

..Al

• Like 1

What? This is what I want it to do... I want to have a preview when hovering on a topic title (like some forums do) rather than having to click on that icon (which is nice also with the choice between first and last posts). Or is this not what you mean? If it is, it's not working for me at all, Mac Firefox 9.0.597.102 (yeah, I need to update).

Right now the hover preview only works when you are browsing through forums. It does not work on "View New Content", "Find My Content" and other search results. It will work on all those pages in 3.2, and will be cleaned up a bit and further enhanced.

Also, I would LOVE an ignore topic feature as mentioned above. Especially if it was available right from the topics listings. I could just click off to ignore any threads that are of no interest to me and never see them in the listings again. That would be incredible.

When you say "the listings" do you mean "View New Content" and such, or when browsing forums (where you see lists of topics?)

..Al

One thing I noticed from before vs. after the upgrade, when I hit New Posts before it would give a list of threads that have new posts in the,. Now when I do it gives each thread multiple times depending on how many posts. It ends up being a LOT of threads with all the repeats. Just an annoyance but it's there, not a big deal.

Nathan

I'm going to spend some time early next week testing this and reporting issues to Invision so hopefully I can get fixes. They (and other Invision admins) did help with several issues already.

..Al

Uhhhr, have you looked at your profile page recently? :ponder:

Nope, but I just did now. Either I'm dreaming or you are a genie. Do I have 2 wishes left?

When you say "the listings" do you mean "View New Content" and such, or when browsing forums (where you see lists of topics?)

..Al

Well, I would strongly prefer that to be available the "View New Content", since that's all I ever use. I never, or very rarely, browse the forums directly. I guess if it could only be done via direct forum browsing, that would still be useful.