IGNORED

does Kool-Aid Man even play on emulators

donssword

Sorry if this has been posted before, but I couldn't get it to show up in the search engine.

I can't get Kool-Aid Man to play using StellaOSX in Mac OS 10.4.8 or in Wii2600 with System Update version 4.3 US.

The game launches, the opening animation of Kool-Aid Man crashes thru the wall, and then he is small and bouncing around the upper left corner while the Thirsties wander the play area and a couple of them drink. Occasionally I can get Kool-Aid Man to go big size and I have some control, but I almost immediately end up ricocheting in the corner again. I never played the original cart, so I don't know what proper game behavior for this one is.

Any thoughts?

Edited by donssword

• 4 weeks later...
Kool-Aid Man needs some special handling. This problem has been solved some years ago already. You need a newer emulator, that's all.

Just for the record, this problem is still present in current versions of Stella. Nukey Shay's hack works like a charm, though.

(BTW I'd imagine that stephena could easily incorporate a workaround, but wants to fix the problem through accurate emulation -- an approach that I'm all for. I don't know which approach z26 takes, but since it's not available for OS X it's a moot point.)

Edited by thegoldenband

Props for identifying the problem belong to the the guys at [stella]. I just applied the fix to my long-running "do not chop up your Supercharger" crusade - which amounted to clearing collisions at a different point, IIRC...after moving a short routine off the bankswitch hotspot.

BTW Thomas whipped up a small test program to "detect" if your console or emulator is Kool-Aid Man-compliant (red=good) ;)

http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/200410/msg00067.html

Kool-Aid Man needs some special handling. This problem has been solved some years ago already. You need a newer emulator, that's all.

Just for the record, this problem is still present in current versions of Stella. Nukey Shay's hack works like a charm, though.

(BTW I'd imagine that stephena could easily incorporate a workaround, but wants to fix the problem through accurate emulation -- an approach that I'm all for. I don't know which approach z26 takes, but since it's not available for OS X it's a moot point.)

I don't know about 'easily', but I still haven't found time to look into it yet. I expect to have more time now that the semester is over here (I work at a university, and Nov-Dec and Mar-Apr are very busy. That's why the last Stella release was in November :) )

Thanks for the input guys--much appreciated.

My emulators are completely up-to-date--I'm running the latest version of each app. I'll throw the Supercharger Hack into the mix and let you know what I get this weekend.

Many thanks!

D

My bad for not responding to this earlier. The hacked version works like a charm. Thanks for the usual greatness guys.