IGNORED

3DS photos

SpiceWare

I was curious about how these 3D images work, and if it were possible to create convincing 3D images in photoshop. The result are these two images:

post-26894-0-32731600-1301756115_thumb.jpg

MPO file here: http://3dporch.com/jqG7.mpo

post-26894-0-72534000-1301756164_thumb.jpg

MPO file here: http://3dporch.com/34oG.mpo

NeoGaf has a good mini-tutorial on putting images on your SD card and making them viewable on the 3DS, which is really the ideal way to view these images.

For the Zelda image, I shifted the background between views, which ended up creating a sense of depth, where the Zelda figure appears flush with the screen. In the Midna image, the background is static, and the Midna figure is shifted. In my first attempt, it didn't work at all. After swapping the left and right images, I got this result, where Midna appears to be floating like a hologram in front of the screen in a surprisingly convincing way.

I've uploaded my 3DS photos to my 3DS gallery, along with the MPO files. I found some instructions here (along with other 3D photos) on how to load them into your 3DS. Short summary:

1. plug the 3DS' SD card into your computer.
  2. create new subfolder 100DCT01 in the DCIM folder of the SD card.
  3. place MPO files into 100DCT01
  4. if you need to rename files in case of conflict, maintain the AAAA####.MPO format (A = letter, # = number)
  5. put card back into 3DS.
  6. View photos - there may be a slight delay (up to 20 seconds) before the 3DS realizes there are new photos to show. It'll pop up a message when it notices them.

I did a test download from my site and for some reason Safari added a .HTML extension. Renaming it via Finder didn't work - while Finder showed just HNI_0009.MPO, I could see via command line that the file still had .HTML at the end. So I rename it via command line (the MV command). When I get more photos up I'll make a ZIP file for each page to make it easier to download all the photos.

Those turned out well Akito01 :thumbsup: I did have to rename the files (per step 4) before they would show up on my 3DS.

I also found a bunch of photos here in post #38. They appear to have been taken at a gaming show, there's some photos of Mario and Luigi showing off Rock Band. The photos were taken with a different 3D camera - they look much clearer than the ones the 3DS takes.

Edited by SpiceWare

Yeah, it is a bit rough on the eyes. I need to look into turning them into Wiggle 3D images.

3d2-1.gif

SO, I've been digging 3D for 30 years of my life always looking for ways to get past the glasses and you just post a wiggle image and next thing I have a dragon sticking out of my "non 3D enabled LCD" screen?

Shame on the industry. I remember having a 2000 new year's eve discussion with a friend where I claimed that all the companies were holding off new technology until 2000. I bet,we would be seeing SONY releasing 3D TV without glasses before 2001.

Ten years later......still no 3d TV without glasses....but at least 3DS :D

Using those Disney Park photos I tested and confirmed that using directories like 100DCT02, 100DCT03 work as well. I suspect any folder named using the convention ###AAA## (A = letter, # = number) would work.

Only bad part is the 3DS only groups them by date, so all the photos get intermingled with your own photos.

• 3 months later...

I got a question. What the hell do you use to view the 3DS images off of the 3DS? I mean, I've loaded them on the computer and the one image works fine, the other image just gives me the typical "needs software to run this program" error message.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I'm missing something.

Are the wiggling images supposed to be popping out of the screen with no other peripheral? I ask because to me they aren't. They are moving back and forth though. I can see that the alligator is in front of the house by the fact the house moves in the back ground and the alligator doesn't move, but I'm not sure I consider that 3D. The picture as a whole is still as flat as any other picture. The other moving examples posted don't resemble 3D to me in the least. They just shift back and forth a bit.

Do you need to upload these images to a 3DS to see them in 3D?

I think I'm missing something.

Are the wiggling images supposed to be popping out of the screen with no other peripheral? I ask because to me they aren't. They are moving back and forth though. I can see that the alligator is in front of the house by the fact the house moves in the back ground and the alligator doesn't move, but I'm not sure I consider that 3D. The picture as a whole is still as flat as any other picture. The other moving examples posted don't resemble 3D to me in the least. They just shift back and forth a bit.

No, that's exactly what you're supposed to see.

I can see that the alligator is in front of the house by the fact the house moves in the back ground and the alligator doesn't move, but I'm not sure I consider that 3D.

That's what you're supposed to pick up on. It's not 3D, but gives your brain extra info to piece together the scene. It's easier to view than the cross-your-eyes method. Major minus is it downgrades the image to 256 colors (GIF limit) so you lose a lot of detail to dithering.

Actually you don't need to upload the images to the 3DS - just browse that site using the 3DS's web browser. If you're viewing the MPO* version of the image the 3DS will launch the 3D picture viewer and give you an option to save it to your SD card. The images taken by cameras other than the 3DS don't always load though, they are often too large (the file size) for the 3DS to display.

* the site will detect your 3DS and will default to sending the MPO, but you can override that at any time by clicking the icon for Wiggle, MPO, Red-Cyan, JPS, etc.

post-3056-0-37617900-1312571778_thumb.jpg post-3056-0-60342700-1312571784_thumb.jpg

Edited by SpiceWare