IGNORED

IDE Plus 2.0 - preorder starts today

drac030

Important, although, in principle, obvious message: on the XL computers, OPTION key should be keeping during start-up if SDX is enabled. Otherwise hardware conflict ocured between BASIC and SDX. This follows from unavailability of RD5 signal on PBI. MMU simply not know and no way to know, that should disconnect BASIC ROM.

For those who need it, I will do a tutorial on how to hook up the additional 8-conductor ribbon to supply the additional signals, including power, from the XL.

That would be good... Question, if you do NOT hook them up what functionality do you lose?

those lines (RD4, RD5, etc ) arent available on the XL PBI, so the MMU has no way of knowing a 'cart' is plugged in externally, so the SDX in the IDE+2.0 and the internal BASIC have issues, unless you hold option on boot, and no cart should be used unless these lines are hooked up...

sloopy.

Q1 Sparta vs MyDOS which is best to use on this device (and why) :?:

This may depend on personal preference. I'd say that SpartaDOS X is technically much superior to MyDOS, but still, some people prefer simplicity.

Q2 Please can someone advise on the recommended partitioning options using the FDISK2 program (any options I should consider) :?:

(a screenshot of a completed FDISK screen would be ideal)

Erm, looked to the manual I pointed you out? There are some snapshots in it. Just disregard the remarks on even number of sectors, type 131070 instead of 65534 and you should be done. Or describe in detail, where you are stuck.

Sorry but I am really not comfortable with this unless you can guarantee that whatever options I try (in FDisk and Format) will not leave the device unbootable / unrectifiable :?: Otherwise I'll wait for some kind soul to produce a guide to the recommended optimal partitioning and setup :|

Sorry but I am really not comfortable with this unless you can guarantee that whatever options I try (in FDisk and Format) will not leave the device unbootable / unrectifiable :?:

Whatever you do in FDISK, you can always recover from it by doing a clean boot from a serial drive (or APE), loading FDISK again and changing the settings.

When you go to the config menu (hold START and hit RESET) you'll see an option there descibed as "IDE interface: on/off". By toggling it to "off" you can always access a serial drive (no matter what you had declared previously in FDISK regardin drive assignments), load FDISK from there and correct the settings.

Mine arrived today :) ! Naturally , I was at work so I must wait until tomorrow to pick it up :( - unless the postal strike hits tomorrow, in which case I may not get my hands on it for weeks :x ...

I was really hoping mine would arrive today before the darn strike - no such luck!

Perhaps they will institute a rotating strike as rumoured - at least some mail would get through.

Well,

the forum does not allow me to attach an ARC file, do not know why. So I am attaching a zip file. It contains two files:

1) LBA0.COM

This is the BIOS update. When executed, it will (attempt to) reflash the interface's BIOS. Before that better make sure the device is stable with the machine you're using it with (no obvious problems such as lockups etc.)

There are no terrible news here except for the "XL conflict" fix discussed above. The BIOS simply switches off the internal BASIC when it detects that SDX ROM is present in the memory.

2) IDEPTIME.SYS

An updated version of the SpartaDOS X clock driver (thanks trub!). You may use the SDX Imager to add this to the ROM image, or load it from the disk. In the latter case, when the driver is say on the disk A: subdirectory SYS, you should add the following line to the CONFIG.SYS file:

DEVICE A:>SYS>IDEPTIME

If you have added this to the cartridge, no drive or path specifier is necessary. For these people who didn't do own CONFIG.SYS file yet, an example file (the default CONFIG.SYS) is available on CAR:, do TYPE CAR:CONFIG.SYS to view it. The instructions can be read in the manual, chapter 8.

If the IDEPTIME line is added, the lines DEVICE RTIME8 and DEVICE JIFFY should be removed. Especially that last one may prevent IDEPTIME.SYS from loading (there may be only one clock driver loaded at a time, quite logically).

The driver is for SpartaDOS X ONLY! Other systems may access the clock via "Z:" device (SpartaDOS 3.2-compatible).

The driver file is not tested with the production interfaces (which neither me nor trub do have), so if anything doesn't work please report immediately. Thanks!

Well this information fixed the problems I was having with the set up of interface.

Now the time is reported correctly, and no lockup because of the option key. I ran LBA0.COM and reset the BIOS also.

Now I have to get partition C: to boot. and with a harddrive I could not set BPS at 512----FORMAT did not find any drives. But at 256 BPS the FORMAT command worked and build 8 partitions.

Thank you.

Hey!

The SDXImageUser.exe program doesn't modify the SDX443_ideplus.rom so I can add IDEPTIME.SYS nor change the Config.sys file. So have setup my CONFIG.SYS and autoexec.bat files to load the clock driver.

2) IDEPTIME.SYS

An updated version of the SpartaDOS X clock driver (thanks trub!). You may use the SDX Imager to add this to the ROM image, or load it from the disk. In the latter case, when the driver is say on the disk A: subdirectory SYS, you should add the following line to the CONFIG.SYS file:

DEVICE A:>SYS>IDEPTIME

If you have added this to the cartridge, no drive or path specifier is necessary.

Edited by rdea6

The SDXImageUser.exe program doesn't modify the SDX443_ideplus.rom so I can add IDEPTIME.SYS nor change the Config.sys file.

It does, however you have to create the customized CONFIG.SYS as a PC file and then use "Insert" function of the imager. It will then replace the original file with the new one.

My copy of SDXImageuser.exe doesn't it saves the 512 rom size as 128 rom size and the only items in the rom are the two files I added. I checked this with a HEX editor.

Why not using the current version from SDX Upgrade Project site.?

And Finally! (still the fastest ever package I got from Poland)

More photos here http://orph.atarinet.com/photos/main.php?g2_itemId=9267

Your address is hide and mine is not? :)

orph is in hiding from the guv from across the pond... we granted him asylum in the US :'D

sloopy.

Check this out:

post-8775-0-65092900-1307094803_thumb.jpg

MUX SYSTEM:

CLient 1: 320XE (1200XL case) with happy 1050

Client 2: 320XE (1200XL case)

Client 3: 800XL with IDE Plus 2.0

Client 4: XEGS

Server: 320XE with MIO and JAZ Drive.

The MUX works with the IDE Plus 2.0... To get MUX firmware screen, just hold START when exiting IDE Plus 2.0 firmware screen.

Works great..

Notice MUX card is plugged into cart slot on MyIDE Plus 2.0. Works the same in 800XL cart slot..

MUX does not work with SDX enabled for some reason..

• Like 1

Check this out:

post-8775-0-65092900-1307094803_thumb.jpg

MUX SYSTEM:

CLient 1: 320XE (1200XL case) with happy 1050

Client 2: 320XE (1200XL case)

Client 3: 800XL with IDE Plus 2.0

Client 4: XEGS

Server: 320XE with MIO and JAZ Drive.

The MUX works with the IDE Plus 2.0... To get MUX firmware screen, just hold START when exiting IDE Plus 2.0 firmware screen.

Works great..

Notice MUX card is plugged into cart slot on MyIDE Plus 2.0. Works the same in 800XL cart slot..

MUX does not work with SDX enabled for some reason..

:lust: :lust: :lust:

Simply awesome. No other word for it!

This is the way to go, guys:

post-8775-0-04061300-1307065481_thumb.jpg

post-8775-0-36845700-1307065503_thumb.jpg

Works PERFECTLY...

And heres how to connect it:

post-8775-0-15827800-1307066698_thumb.jpg

Numbers correspond to wires (pins) in the 8 pin ribbon cable.. If you don't "get it" then DON'T TRY IT!

Ken, what's the part number/proper name for those 8 way header connectors?

Anyone else tried this interface with a VBXE-equipped machine (surely a desirable objective).

I'm conducting careful stability tests on the Rev. A 800XL with and without the VBXE board. It definitely doesn't seem as stable with the VBXE fitted. However, I can't draw any conclusions until I've wired up the extra connections.

EDIT: Just done a complete error-free run of RWCRC with the VBXE fitted. Looking good!

Also tried clock driver - time was even correct from the factory (GMT plus 1 hour). :)

Edited by flashjazzcat

Problem re-flashing the onboard SDX443.rom. I put the disk in drive one and rebooted and the flashing menu comes up and I press RETURN and get a message saying WAITING FOR SDX CARTRIDGE. I have looked at the setup menu START+RESET several times with no joy...

PS The new SDXimageuser.exe work a charm to get the new config.sys and ideptime.sys put into the rom.

PSS I am using the flasher called SDX443_ideplus.atr... after I moved the above new rom onto the atr.

Edited by rdea6

rdea6, do you use the correct flasher? The flasher for intSDX128 will not work with IDE Plus and vice versa. Also make sure you're using the correct SDX ROM image, as the cartridge control code (built into the SDX) is different across different builds.

EDIT: ok. Next thing on the checklist then: when the flasher displays "waiting for the SDX cartridge", did you try to toggle the switch the interface has on the side opposite to the ECI connector? It enables/disables the SDX module, and has a priority over the config screen settings.

Edited by drac030