IGNORED

IDE Plus 2.0 - preorder starts today

drac030

rdea6, do you use the correct flasher? The flasher for intSDX128 will not work with IDE Plus and vice versa. Also make sure you're using the correct SDX ROM image, as the cartridge control code (built into the SDX) is different across different builds.

EDIT: ok. Next thing on the checklist then: when the flasher displays "waiting for the SDX cartridge", did you try to toggle the switch the interface has on the side opposite to the ECI connector? It enables/disables the SDX module, and has a priority over the config screen settings.

OK tested this also toogled the switch and booted straight to flashing menu, and get the same responce. Toggled back next boot and got SDX boot menu and SDX version title info and typed FLASDISK and got the flashing menu pressed return and still get the 'waiting for SDX cartridge.

would i be right in guessing that you can use emulator files/images with this upgrade/device (i.e atr/xfd/xex etc) like you can do with similar types of upgrades/devices

if so, do you have a compatibility list for which atr/xfd/xex files will work with this device/upgrade (as i remember hearing there was some compatibility issues with using some emulator files/images with similar devices/upgrades)

would i be right in guessing that you can use emulator files/images with this upgrade/device (i.e atr/xfd/xex etc) like you can do with similar types of upgrades/devices

if so, do you have a compatibility list for which atr/xfd/xex files will work with this device/upgrade (as i remember hearing there was some compatibility issues with using some emulator files/images with similar devices/upgrades)

No. The i/f doesn't directly support ATR files in the way something like SDrive does as far as I know.

Although you could have a game DOS partition with loads of com and xex files on it using something like mypicodos. I know this because I have!

Edited by spookt

MUX does not work with SDX enabled for some reason..

Have you read the instructions how to configure SDX with MUX ?: http://sdx.atari8.in...hp?show=en_docs

I'm sure that's what the problem is. I was under the impression that the new SDX automatically recognized the MUX OS/Hardware wnd just worked.

I'll test this tonight.

Heres one:

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=609-3570-ND

I didnt look too hard, so you can probably find them cheaper elsewhere..

most places call them "cable-crimp socket connectors for IDC headers" or something of that nature.

Some places only deal in sizes of 10 conductor or larger.. But the 8-pin ones are out there, you just gotta look..

Heres one:

http://search.digike...ame=609-3570-ND

I didnt look too hard, so you can probably find them cheaper elsewhere..

most places call them "cable-crimp socket connectors for IDC headers" or something of that nature.

Some places only deal in sizes of 10 conductor or larger.. But the 8-pin ones are out there, you just gotta look..

Thanks! ;)

rdea6, do you use the correct flasher? The flasher for intSDX128 will not work with IDE Plus and vice versa. Also make sure you're using the correct SDX ROM image, as the cartridge control code (built into the SDX) is different across different builds.

EDIT: ok. Next thing on the checklist then: when the flasher displays "waiting for the SDX cartridge", did you try to toggle the switch the interface has on the side opposite to the ECI connector? It enables/disables the SDX module, and has a priority over the config screen settings.

OK tested this also toogled the switch and booted straight to flashing menu, and get the same responce. Toggled back next boot and got SDX boot menu and SDX version title info and typed FLASDISK and got the flashing menu pressed return and still get the 'waiting for SDX cartridge.

That's odd. I just checked and this procedure worked for me:

1) mount flashing ATR via SIO

2) power up the computer

3) when SDX prompt appears, type COLD /N, hold SHIFT, press RETURN ("Quick disable: Shift" must be set in the config screen)

4) Atari boots the flasher, everything normal, reflashed successfully

The only clue is that maybe the flasher binary on your disk is somehow damaged, and that's why doesn't work. Otherwise - I don't know.

Does anyone else have such a problem?

Edited by drac030

Ok, I will correct me: The IDE 2.0 interface told me, that most of my compact flash cards are not compatible with LBA (get the information "- LBA not supported" in KMKDIAG).

I try all of these compact flash cards in a intel chipset based pentium 4 notebook with the same CF-to-44pin-IDE adapter, all cards are working fine and the notebook´s BIOS told me "LBA mode".

Mystery solved. My code still checks the ATA-2 "LBA supported" flag in the IDENTIFY DEVICE block. But ATA-5 specification made this flag obsolete, the LBA is now obligatory mode, so all compliant devices must be LBA-compatible. And it is up to the producer to still support the flags required by older ATA specs.

In other words, probably all CF cards support LBA, just the IDE+ BIOS (and KMKDIAG) are too pedantically checking the device ID. Update to follow...

That's odd. I just checked and this procedure worked for me:

1) mount flashing ATR via SIO

2) power up the computer

3) when SDX prompt appears, type COLD /N, hold SHIFT, press RETURN ("Quick disable: Shift" must be set in the config screen)

4) Atari boots the flasher, everything normal, reflashed successfully

The only clue is that maybe the flasher binary on your disk is somehow damaged, and that's why doesn't work. Otherwise - I don't know.

Does anyone else have such a problem?

Yes, same issue as OP on my 600XL even after following your advice. Trying to flash SDX 4.44.

EDIT: Seems to work on the 130XE fine.

Edited by spookt

Ok, I found it out. The flasher waits for TRIG3 to set, but on XL it never happens.

I hope there will be a fix..

EDIT : No help with SDX444_ideplus.atr.

EDIT2: I have 'C' set for custom boot would that cause problems. and yes timestamp 3-06-11

Waiting for SDX cartridge.

EDIT3: I will try interface on a 130XE and flash with SDX344_ideplus.atr

Edited by rdea6

and yes timestamp 3-06-11

Timestamp 3-6-11 is obvious, I am asking you if you have the version I have updated around 21:37 (9:37pm, that is). And if the length of the file you're trying is 3138 bytes (because the previous version was shorter).

and yes timestamp 3-06-11

Timestamp 3-6-11 is obvious, I am asking you if you have the version I have updated around 21:37 (9:37pm, that is). And if the length of the file you're trying is 3138 bytes (because the previous version was shorter).

Yes that was the one.......I put the interface on a 130xe and BANK 64: COMPLETED and reboot.

Now I have SDX 444 flashed to the interface.

Thank you for your help and info about the XL Trig3 problem. Now I can put the interface back on the 600XL and all works till next time.

Can I reflash my #2 interface with out a harddrive attached.

Thanks again.

OK just set a 16Mb partition up using MyDOS and copied over some games to it. Used MyPicoDOS to initialise it.

Loading games from CF is FAST:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFWHlxiMtsk

Yes it is! With my current setup (not the IDE 2.0, I have not received mine yet), I get 50kB/sec load times, it's incredible! Double the speed of my RAMdisk. I will never go back to regular SIO use, as even at PoKey divisor 0 which is very unreliable, I get 10 times the speed.

I think an interface without a harddisk attached can be flashed securely.

Today I have no more data to futher investigate the XL flashing problem. Maybe the fix I did is not good, I'll look at it again tomorrow.

Now another BIOS update + a new version of KMKDIAG, with the above considerations on ATA-2 vs. ATA-5 taken into account. I know that there is at least one system, where this fix allowed to use a CF card. So it is maybe worth trying. For HDD users there should be no difference.

Three files:

KMKDIAG.COM 6594 bytes, 3-6-11 19:46

KMKDIAG.DOC 2782 bytes, 3-6-11 20:11

LBA0.COM 10351 bytes, 3-6-11 21:29

ideplus.zip

With my current setup (not the IDE 2.0, I have not received mine yet), I get 50kB/sec load times, it's incredible! Double the speed of my RAMdisk. I will never go back to regular SIO use, as even at PoKey divisor 0 which is very unreliable, I get 10 times the speed.

I agree regarding speed but I have one question.

Is it possible to easily use .atr images with IDE+?

Tens of single disk and multi disks programs exists not available in .xex format.

Hi KMK,

I think an interface without a harddisk attached can be flashed securely.

Today I have no more data to futher investigate the XL flashing problem. Maybe the fix I did is not good, I'll look at it again tomorrow.

Now another BIOS update + a new version of KMKDIAG, with the above considerations on ATA-2 vs. ATA-5 taken into account. I know that there is at least one system, where this fix allowed to use a CF card. So it is maybe worth trying. For HDD users there should be no difference

Thanks a lot for your fix and fast response!

I´ve flashed the new firmware and use the new KMKDIAG - all is working fine now with ALL of my CF cards!

Well done!

Regards, Juergen

Important: As Drac030 said, there is now an updated SDX 4.44 flashing utility which properly handles XL series.

If you are experiencing the endless "Waiting for SDX cartridge", just download once more SDX 4.44 images (make sure you don't use a browser cached file), toggle SDX switch on and boot from SDX444_ideplus.atr.

Hi,

Important: As Drac030 said, there is now an updated SDX 4.44 flashing utility which properly handles XL series.

If you are experiencing the endless "Waiting for SDX cartridge", just download once more SDX 4.44 images (make sure you don't use a browser cached file), toggle SDX switch on and boot from SDX444_ideplus.atr.

Here´s a message of success. Flashed the new firmware before, then update the SDX internal to 4.44 on an Atari 800 XL "pure" (without any expansions, as Atari made it).

Thanks again for this fine interface and all your support.

Regards, Juergen