IGNORED

Dreamcasts (what are they worth these days?)

eseles

Trust me the system is defiantly worth getting, makes me feel bad that it only lasted as long as it did but for that amount of time the games and library were amazing, makes me wonder how it would have gone if Sega had stayed in for a few more years.

You can blame Peter Moore who was president of Sega of America at the time for discontinuing the Dreamcast.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Moore_(business)

I hope I get to meet him one days... so I can kick him in the balls! :x

The game store near my house is selling one bare for $70.

I hate the game store near my house.

Well, The Gametraders near me has a bundle with ONE VMU, ONE controller, and TWO games... For $300.

Not even kidding. I laughed at them, and then left.

Edited by eseles

Trust me the system is defiantly worth getting, makes me feel bad that it only lasted as long as it did but for that amount of time the games and library were amazing, makes me wonder how it would have gone if Sega had stayed in for a few more years.

You can blame Peter Moore who was president of Sega of America at the time for discontinuing the Dreamcast.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Moore_(business)

I hope I get to meet him one days... so I can kick him in the balls! :x

I agree with that though it is not completely his fault. I blame the Dreamcast and Sega's fate on the head from Japan. They were the ones that said we have to sell this many consoles and make this much money or we are pulling the system, Plus they are the ones that fired Bernie Stolar. He was a honest business man plus had set up a Excellent launch for the system her in the US. He was the person who relised that the Saturn could not beat the Playstation and was honest about it by saying the saturn was not Sega's future which was true. What really ruined Sega name was Japan having Sega release the 32X then the money spent on advertising for the Saturn that never returned a profit and of course the biggest mistake was firing Bernie.

Video at 5:04

his boss is the one to blame.

video at 6:58

Edited by ATARI7800fan

I agree with that though it is not completely his fault. I blame the Dreamcast and Sega's fate on the head from Japan. They were the ones that said we have to sell this many consoles and make this much money or we are pulling the system, Plus they are the ones that fired Bernie Stolar. He was a honest business man plus had set up a Excellent launch for the system her in the US. He was the person who relised that the Saturn could not beat the Playstation and was honest about it by saying the saturn was not Sega's future which was true. What really ruined Sega name was Japan having Sega release the 32X then the money spent on advertising for the Saturn that never returned a profit and of course the biggest mistake was firing Bernie.

I do understand that it was pressure from Japan that influenced Peter Moore's decision but the way he handled it was terrible.

He killed the Dreamcast by making the announcement to the world too soon. When the announcment was made a lot of companies would have decided to stop developing games for the Dreamcast. Why not just stop making the hardware and keep the decision within the company until the existing stock had all been sold? Sega could have been transitioning into a multi-platform company and still support exisiting Dreamcast users.

Anyway thats all history now, the Dreamcast will always be a great system. My Dreamcast sits on top of a PS2 that hardly even gets played while the Dreamcast still gets played a lot.

I wouldn't pay more than $30 for a Sega Dreamcast. Like everyone else said in this topic, they're easy to come by and cheap as dirt.

$30 is around the price I've been looking for (for console only, willing to pay more for a bundle) but it's difficult. I think it must be harder to come by them in the PAL region. They were far from popular (at least, amongst people I knew) even at their peak here in Brisbane, Australia. Still, there was a time just after they discontinued them, where you could find them cheap at pawnbrokers. I'm starting to think Ebay is my only option now. Unless I want to pay $300 at Gametraders, cough...

• 1 month later...

Update: I finally got one! It's in really nice shape too. :) Having a ball playing Sonic Adventure again.

Can anyone recommend some games? The less obvious, the better.

I now own:

Sonic Adventure 1 & 2,

Jet Set Radio,

Trickstyle,

NBA 2K,

Snow Surfers,

Crazy Taxi 2.

I really want to start building up a collection now.

My Personal favorites are:

Skies of Arcadia

Toy Commander

House of the Dead 2

Power Stone

Phantasy Star

Plus I loved the Tony Hawk games.

These games are my faves alongside the typical favorites like Soul Calibur, Sonic, Shenmue, etc.

Cheers for the suggestions. Skies of Arcadia has never really stood out for me as I'm not a big fan of JRPGs (past the 16bit era), but I've heard nothing but good things, so I might give it a shot at some point.

Did Sega ever release a first party Lightgun (or whatever you want to call them) for the Dreamcast? Or is there a good third party one? I'd need a couple to really make the most of House of the Dead 2. But that was one I was looking forward to.

My Personal favorites are:

Skies of Arcadia

Toy Commander

House of the Dead 2

Power Stone

Phantasy Star

Plus I loved the Tony Hawk games.

These games are my faves alongside the typical favorites like Soul Calibur, Sonic, Shenmue, etc.

Cheers for the suggestions. Skies of Arcadia has never really stood out for me as I'm not a big fan of JRPGs (past the 16bit era), but I've heard nothing but good things, so I might give it a shot at some point.

Did Sega ever release a first party Lightgun (or whatever you want to call them) for the Dreamcast? Or is there a good third party one? I'd need a couple to really make the most of House of the Dead 2. But that was one I was looking forward to.

There is an interact one I see around used periodically for about 10 dollars loose. Also I think there was a variant of the guncon that was released with dreamcast branding, I have no idea how common that was, I remember it having dreamcast symbols, but not sure who manufactured it, it had the color scheme though, so probably sega at the very least contracted someone if they didnt make it themselves.

I had a light gun for that game but bought it in a huge dreamcast lot from shopgoodwill and am unsure of what it was called. Ill try to find it and let you know what type/brand it is since it was a very serviceable gun.

Im not a fan of JRPG's either but got the game in the previously mentioned lot and completely loved this game. Honestly even if you might not like the genre I would definitely recommended playing this game at some point, even its GameCube counterpart just as good.

I got my Dreamcast from Ebay for $20+Shipping, I can't remember how much shipping was but It was a complete boxed system with the Super Game Converter, Soul Calibur(Jap), Tetris 4D(Jap),and Biohazard: Code Veronica(Jap).

That was about 2004....I now own over 200 games for it. Some of the fighting/shmup games have a hefty price tag on them still, but many of them you can't get that experience anywhere else. the dreamcast has some great gems that you can get real cheap too.

Update: I finally got one! It's in really nice shape too. :) Having a ball playing Sonic Adventure again.

Can anyone recommend some games? The less obvious, the better.

I now own:

Sonic Adventure 1 & 2,

Jet Set Radio,

Trickstyle,

NBA 2K,

Snow Surfers,

Crazy Taxi 2.

I really want to start building up a collection now.

Chu Chu Rocket (one of my favorite puzzle games)

Resident Evil: Code Veronica

Stupid Invaders (point and click adventure)

Sword of the Berserk (action)

Speed Devils (racing)

Super Magnetic Neo

Mars Matrix

Project Justice

I really considered buying Chu Chu Rocket. I'm pretty here and there when it comes to puzzle games, I either love them, or they collect dust. But I'm inclined to pick it up now. I have Code Veronica X on PS2, it was okay. Probably the best of the old RE games I played.

I've not heard of the other suggestions, but I'll keep an eye out. Cheers!

About five or six years ago, I bought a Dreamcast at Goodwill for $15. It had the original box, two controllers, all the cords, and two of the little memory card things. I also found 4 or 5 games for $2.00 each that same day. Anyway, I played it a few times and really enjoyed it, but after awhile I got tired of it sitting around. So I put it on eBay and got $65 out of it! Nice little profit! ;) Hope you can find one at a reasonable price. It was an impressive system.

Courtney

I do understand that it was pressure from Japan that influenced Peter Moore's decision but the way he handled it was terrible.

He killed the Dreamcast by making the announcement to the world too soon. When the announcment was made a lot of companies would have decided to stop developing games for the Dreamcast. Why not just stop making the hardware and keep the decision within the company until the existing stock had all been sold? Sega could have been transitioning into a multi-platform company and still support exisiting Dreamcast users.

Anyway thats all history now, the Dreamcast will always be a great system. My Dreamcast sits on top of a PS2 that hardly even gets played while the Dreamcast still gets played a lot.

I will admit he did not handle things as well as he could of but I think it would have not happened if Bernie Stolar was still in charge. He knew how to launch and support a console. He would have handled it much better even if SEGA of Japan still decided to quit making the system. At least the home-brew community is still making games including the newest 2D shooter the looks as good as the games the current generations has been doing 2D wise called Sturmwind. It will most likely be the system that I will bring with me to college.

This is the true power of the Dreamcast.

Head hunter is another excellent game for it.

Edited by ATARI7800fan