IGNORED

Creating Multi-Load Menus ?

Rachel-Emma

For some reason when coming to the end comfirming everything is complete on the Bootmanager page - everything seems to go wrong from there. I must have been lucky the first time I did it but can't seem to get it right a second time. I wrote the ATR to disk but it comes up Boot Error.

I think you are saying the disk does not boot in an Atari from a 1050 on an Atari. Is that correct?

Does it run correctly if booted in the emulator?

If so it was not written to disk correctly, the disk used is bad or disk format used is not compatible the Atari drive most likely.

The image does not boot in the emulator properly either

Then redo it with a fresh blank ATR. you were having issues with having a blank screen in the emulator before, not sure but probably just the display closed, looks like you got that back.

If you previously partially ran the bootmanger maker on the ATR, did not complete it and ran it again, that would probably corrupt it.

Was there still space left on the ATR after adding the files to it? Don't know how much but there needs to be some free space for the bootmanager to write to.

Other than that I can not help further. I can only tell you that it consistently works as I have done it many times.

It should be tested by booting in the emulator prior to writing to a floppy disk. If it does not work in the emulator, it will not run from a floppy.

Edited by kheffington

"fehler beim schreiben auf diskette" means error writing to disk I think.

Yes thats exactly what it means or something along those lines. I've been over and over the process. I've created and named fresh blank ATR's and still no luck

Yes thats exactly what it means or something along those lines. I've been over and over the process. I've created and named fresh blank ATR's and still no luck

Just a thought. You don't still have it open in MakeATR do you? Altira may not be able to write to it if you do.

Just a thought. You don't still have it open in MakeATR do you? Altira may not be able to write to it if you do.

No, I have been closing MakeATR everytime I open Altirra. I've tried again to and still "fehler beim schreiben auf diskette" :? I've been trying for hours wiuth no success and like I said before I wrote my first disk out first time round but I cannot for the life of me create another disk

Is it possible there is too much on the disk? Have you tried using 1 less com file?

Oh yes I've tried that also. It does actually tell you once you select DD that you cannot add anymore files if it's over the limit but i tried one less all the same just to make sure.

Maybe I should try a different question for you all - If I was to write 1 single game onto a floppy, how then do I make it readable to an Alpha or Ian K Us Doubler Menu. There is an option on both these menus to read from a Boot Disk but when tried it doesn't seem to work. Any ideas?

If someone was to come up with a solution to this then I would be easily sorted because I know what I am doing with these menus

Maybe I should try a different question for you all - If I was to write 1 single game onto a floppy, how then do I make it readable to an Alpha or Ian K Us Doubler Menu. There is an option on both these menus to read from a Boot Disk but when tried it doesn't seem to work. Any ideas?

If someone was to come up with a solution to this then I would be easily sorted because I know what I am doing with these menus

Unless as previously stated the disk image is still open in another program, it should be writable. Perhaps the blank image is corrupt somehow. I have just recreated the disk you show and had no problem doing so. It along with a blank DD disk image are attached. That would also happen if the the disk image in Altirra was not set to R/W. The disk is definitely not full as there is still around 90 sectors open after adding the COM files.

Attached to this post is a zip file containing a menu disk made from the files you show in the picture with the menu you show in the picture. There is also a blank.atr in the zip. This is DD disk image formatted with MyDos and is the blank used to create the menu disk. Try using the blank to make another menu disk.

Disks.zip

Edited by kheffington

Unless as previously stated the disk image is still open in another program, it should be writable. Perhaps the blank image is corrupt somehow. I have just recreated the disk you show and had no problem doing so. It along with a blank DD disk image are attached. That would also happen if the the disk image in Altirra was not set to R/W. The disk is definitely not full as there is still around 90 sectors open after adding the COM files.

Attached to this post is a zip file containing a menu disk made from the files you show in the picture with the menu you show in the picture. There is also a blank.atr in the zip. This is DD disk image formatted with MyDos and is the blank used to create the menu disk. Try using the blank to make another menu disk.

Hi,

You deserve big thank you for trying to help me out. You're a Star and I've loaded the disk that you created which works perfectly. I'll try it again with this blank atr that you sent :)

Ok, I've just tried to create another disk and still it hasn't worked. Something is wrong somewhere. Maybe I've caught something in the settings?

When I come to load the file on Altirra, it loads DOS 2.5 and shows DOS Dup and Auto Run Systems with 602 free sectors :? I am totally baffled and confused.

Bet you wish you'd taken my advice now :D mydos4.53 with mypicodos is pretty easy and :cool: too ;)

I have just written MYDos 4.53 to a real floppy. I have to change tactic now because this whole thing has been so frustrating. Hopefully one day I will have tonnes of knowledge and I can do some advising ;)

I was wondering if anyone could create a Blank Menu Disk atr so that i can use it to transfer xex, com files to with MyDos 4.53. I think i will have to create menu disks the old fashioned way on my Happy 1050. I quite enjoy it so it's not going to be a problem

Edited by Rachel-Emma

These are only regular 1050 drive (Enhanced Density):

This is blank MYdos 4.53 disk, ready for games to be copied onto

MYDOS453Master.atr (you don't need the DOS system files just a disk formatted with mydos but leave 33ish sectors free for mypicodos to fit on (the menu system)

Then run the My PICODOS initialiser of this disk (it autoruns but you can load myinitb.com from dos)

MYDOS453withMYPICODOSutilites.atr

I use #3 "barebone" on my straight drive but there may be a faster one for your modified drive.

Then choose 1 - init disk to remove the mydos files and then 2.create edit filenames

If you get stuck you can send me a message and I'll send you my phone number as it's local rate :)

• 12 years later...
On 5/8/2011 at 1:45 PM, HiassofT said:

Another possibility, if you feel comfortable using command-line programs, use "dir2atr" from my Atari Tools for Win32 package

Once you have the COM/EXE/XEX/... files for a disk in a directory (lets say "games1-dir") just run dir2atr to create a bootable disk image with MyPicoDos on it:

dir2atr -b MyPicoDos405 -P -d 720 games1.atr games1-dir

This creates a double density ('-d') 720 sectors image.

so long,

Hias

Just to revive the dead. I successfully made a disk using this method. It runs perfect on altira. But when inserted on my 600xl 64kb It reads fine but I cannot navigate with joystick. I can only run first game. Controls are not working. Any ideas? Thanks