IGNORED

Ultra-Simple DPC+ Demo

MausGames

I wanted to see how easy it would be to throw together something with the new DPC+ kernel. Well...it's not easy, but not overly hard either. The hardest part is being completely in the dark about cycle usage, the lack of full documentation, and the lack of the "var" variables that I took for granted would be available. 26 just never seems like enough.

I would post a screenshot, but thats not as easy on this computer so I'll let someone else if anyone feels like it.

Don't forget that you need the latest version of Stella or a Harmony Cartridge to view this demo.

I want to flesh this out into a full platformer, I've already designed a completely awesome waterfall screen; I have a bad habit of trying to flesh out before the basics are even close to done yet though, so trying hard to not do that.

Questions and comments, please, I'm bored!

edit: THIS IS NOT A PLAYABLE DEMO, sorry I didn't mention that before.

platsv1a.bin

Edited by MausGames
  • Like 2

A few comments - the glitch you see on the cloud and other places has been fixed. Someone else pointed this out to me via PM. Also, a handful of "var" variables will be available with the next build. I'm not sure how many but currently there are 13 of them. That number may change depending on how many more variables I can push off to DPC+ RAM. There is potential for 9 more variables if I can assume nobody ever needs direct access to the "player#height" variables, as the player heights could be instead be written directly to DPC+ RAM when players are defined.)

If player#height could create a grow-out-of or melty effect, then they are worth leaving direct access to, in my opinion. An extra ten variables would well do the trick. Can you tell us if debugging cycles with the score, and pfscore options will come back? Also haven't seen any mention of if there will be any extra time in vblank with this kernel. I had a bazillion other questions while I was putting this demo together, but they've fallen back out of my head now.

ThankYou x 1,000 for this Batari, and for all you've done over the years!

Edited by MausGames

I've gotten several inquiries about getting more useful variables, so right now I'm leaning toward writing player#height directly to DPC+ RAM to maximize them. Also, doing so would reduce the overhead in vblank as currently all player#height are copied to DPC+ RAM every frame. Regardless of what I do, player0height will remain available and could be used for the effect you describe.

At any rate, the player#height variables wouldn't be completely inaccessible, they would just be in DPC+ RAM. I haven't provided a way to access arbitrary locations in DPC+ RAM yet but I do plan on it (but before anyone gets too excited about that, DPC+ RAM is structured as a stack or a queue, and although random access is possible, it's not terribly efficient.)

As for your other questions, yes, the debugging features and PFscore will be added.

Edited by batari

I've gotten several inquiries about getting more useful variables, so right now I'm leaning toward writing player#height directly to DPC+ RAM to maximize them. Also, doing so would reduce the overhead in vblank as currently all player#height are copied to DPC+ RAM every frame. Regardless of what I do, player0height will remain available and could be used for the effect you describe.

At any rate, the player#height variables wouldn't be completely inaccessible, they would just be in DPC+ RAM. I haven't provided a way to access arbitrary locations in DPC+ RAM yet but I do plan on it (but before anyone gets too excited about that, DPC+ RAM is structured as a stack or a queue, and although random access is possible, it's not terribly efficient.)

As for your other questions, yes, the debugging features and PFscore will be added.

I say the more variables available the better. To make a decent Adventure game, you need at least 30 variables just to keep track of the sprites (room, x, y values for 6 objects, 3 dragons, 1 bat).

What settings do I need to use to load this in Stella? I'm using v3.3 and I've tried several different ROM settings including the Enhanced DPC.

You need 3.3.01:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/blog/134/entry-7832-batari-basic-11-beta-with-dpc-kernel/

I completely glossed over the feature that all these sprites are now multi-color.. awesome! Are you willing to release the source to your demo Maus? I'd like to learn what you've figured out so far. As well, it would be a good base to test other features of the new Batari BASIC myself =)

As usual the code was a throw-together mess, I was in a big hurry to find out what this can do. I don't think it would be helpful at all, but I will post it next time I'm on my laptop; I hope that RT or someone like him with more org skills than me will post a demo soon.

I really need some good sprites for the main character. I have standing, kneeling, walking, running, and jumping; but when he climbs onto a platform above him, he needs to turn so his back is showing, extend his arms upward, jump up, grab the platform, and pull himself up onto it, then stand up. That is going to be tough...