IGNORED

The sadness......the waiting...:(

Mclaneinc

Since announcing my windfall of Atari bits etc I've yet to see them in the flesh. No, I've not been ripped off, they are sat in a friends place on the direct opposite end of London awaiting a friend to drop them over. A mini cab from there would be MASSIVELY expensive and the sheer weight of the stuff rules out a parcel delivery.

Sigh....After all these years of wanting to get some old kit back and now it being a reality its so hard not being able to caress those sweet keys on the 800, to see that sleek loveliness of that 800XL, to hear the tender sexy 'grrr' of that 1050.

Whooooahh...Catch yourself Paul :)

Seriously, I'm like a kid at Christmas awaiting my haul, the one thing I'm await more than anything are the disks, hoping yo find some old rarities on them and maybe the odd lost in time game.

On the other side, my wife will look at it all and look at me like I'm some sort of off my skull hoarder of old rubbish :)

Since announcing my windfall of Atari bits etc I've yet to see them in the flesh. No, I've not been ripped off, they are sat in a friends place on the direct opposite end of London awaiting a friend to drop them over. A mini cab from there would be MASSIVELY expensive and the sheer weight of the stuff rules out a parcel delivery.

Sigh....After all these years of wanting to get some old kit back and now it being a reality its so hard not being able to caress those sweet keys on the 800, to see that sleek loveliness of that 800XL, to hear the tender sexy 'grrr' of that 1050.

Whooooahh...Catch yourself Paul :)

Seriously, I'm like a kid at Christmas awaiting my haul, the one thing I'm await more than anything are the disks, hoping yo find some old rarities on them and maybe the odd lost in time game.

On the other side, my wife will look at it all and look at me like I'm some sort of off my skull hoarder of old rubbish :)

I get the same looks and respond with "Let me be, it's my hobby!"

One day all zone bus pass and a strong back are your friend... Go get your stuff :D

(I actually did this back in the early 90's going from Croydon to Noting Hill three times in a day to buy an a8 collection)

WOW! That's devotion.

nah, just teenage exhuberence... Try the time I went to a radio/computer festival at longleat house and bought two HUGE boxes worth of stuff, Les from Page 6 gave me a ride back to my Bed & Breakfast but the next morning I had to carry both boxes to the town square to get on a national express coach back to Victoria Station, and then take the train to West Croydon Station, once there I boarded a #60 (I think) back to Pollards Hill (the worst part was the final walk from the bus stop to my mums house) NOW that's devotion :D

One day all zone bus pass and a strong back are your friend... Go get your stuff :D

(I actually did this back in the early 90's going from Croydon to Noting Hill three times in a day to buy an a8 collection)

WOW! That's devotion.

Indeed. Enter that one in "stories of the hardcore." I approve, wholeheartedly. :)

Renting a car is really that expensive? You don't have online price comparison sites over the pond? I rented a car for $20 USD for 24hrs - when I needed to take a 500 mile trip, just had to pay gas in addition to the rental fee. (At the time I had a clunker and didn't trust it to make the trip)

Renting a car is really that expensive?

You have no idea. I guess the situation in England is about the same as in the Netherlands.

A few years ago we wanted to go to an Atari meeting in Czech republic, which is about 3000KM back and forth. For some reason we had no running car at hand so wanted to rent one for 5 days. Turned out that buying a not-so-popular-model used car and tossing it at the way back was waaaay cheaper then renting a small car. And that's without counting the additional price-per-kilometer you'll have to pay for a rental.

As a bonus the car could even be sold after being returned so scrapping it wasn't even needed.

Update:

The gear IS HERE!!!!!

Just to answer a few questions as to why I could not get the gear.

I suffer from cervicular spondylosis, I have a compressed spinal cord with arthritis filling up the holes where my nerve endings are, makes my spine VERY painful. A also have two blown knees from hard work when I was younger, now I'm almost 50 things like carrying lots of gear simply isn't an option any more, going to the corner shop is a chore let alone dragging boxes anywhere :)

I also suffer from depression which has its own demons, best way to under stand is to look at my blog from the April archive, its honest reading.

https://mclaneinc.wordpress.com/

That also makes dealing with hoards of people hard.

This all means I don't work so money is seriously hard to come by for luxuries, a cab with the gear would have been 40UK to me, with the weight involved it would have been expensive for a courier so I had to wait, car hire is also to much, especially with my daughter off for hols at the moment, my luxuries are my internet access, my newsgroup access and that's about it.

But, thanks to a friend the stuff arrived last night in all its glory, all in good nick, apparent all but the STFM have been tested, the 800 looks lovely, the 800XL again seems to be in perfect condition, the 1050 has the odd scratch but apparently works. The 8833mk2 looks like new but damn the 9 pin and no scart. The super Nintendo and Wild card again look like new.

The only sad part is that the single box of floppies could not be sent because of space so I have noting to boot up to do a more thorough test.

Now what I need to do is start saving up for a sio2PC USB, sadly that WILL take a long time with current bills but welcome to my world :)

Tahnks for the reply guys, sorry to do the downer thing with the illness details but I thought I best say incase people just thought Iwas being lazy, sadly far far from it... :(

I'm single.

Guess why.

Well I'm married, have one kid... and I have plenty of time left for the Atari.

Why? To survive marriage. It is very important to have your own things. She let's me do it, never complains about more stuff brought by the mailman, and a few months ago when I thought: why not selling everything, she told me: hey man... you love that atari stuff... don't give up that great hobby.

In the meantime we play sometimes cool games, she also likes: like Qix and Dynakillers.

I think she is rather unique. Everywhere around me I hear issues in marriage about husbands giving up their hobbies, and throwing away cool vintage computer or audio hardware, just because she doesn't like it.

I think I'm just lucky.

Greetz

M.

Well I'm married, have one kid... and I have plenty of time left for the Atari.

Why? To survive marriage. It is very important to have your own things. She let's me do it, never complains about more stuff brought by the mailman, and a few months ago when I thought: why not selling everything, she told me: hey man... you love that atari stuff... don't give up that great hobby.

In the meantime we play sometimes cool games, she also likes: like Qix and Dynakillers.

I think she is rather unique. Everywhere around me I hear issues in marriage about husbands giving up their hobbies, and throwing away cool vintage computer or audio hardware, just because she doesn't like it.

I think I'm just lucky.

Me too. I have one of these unique wives as well. :)

Me too. I have one of these unique wives as well. :)

All I can offer is a C64 as a trade-in. Will add a 1541 if a functional remote control is included too.

No?

If she's hot and has a British accent, I will up the bid to a tricked out 1200XL...

:D