IGNORED

Atari 400 Installation instructions For Kjmann's S-Video Upgrade

Kjmann

Here they are!!!

Atari 400 S-Video installation Instructions for Kjmann's S-Video Upgrade Board.

Unfortunately the 400 Required the installation of 4 extra resistors on the main motherboard.

This shows where to put them and what values they need to be. as well as where to install the leads from the S-Video Board itself.

400 Instructions.Zip

Here they are!!!

Atari 400 S-Video installation Instructions for Kjmann's S-Video Upgrade Board.

Unfortunately the 400 Required the installation of 4 extra resistors on the main motherboard.

This shows where to put them and what values they need to be. as well as where to install the leads from the S-Video Board itself.

400 Instructions.Zip

How was the result ?? Crispy video as usual !?? :lust:

Hmm, completely different method than the MOD that I did that picked up the outputs from the OS card and routed them to the RetroKidz 5200 board...

Actually after looking at that board you need more than just C/Y and Audio... Looks like 8 connections to the GTIA to make it work.

How was the result ?? Crispy video as usual !?? :lust:

Yep. Video was Awesome!

Hmm, completely different method than the MOD that I did that picked up the outputs from the OS card and routed them to the RetroKidz 5200 board...

Actually after looking at that board you need more than just C/Y and Audio... Looks like 8 connections to the GTIA to make it work.

The Retrokidz Board is a different way of doing it. the Retrokidz Board is much more complicated than it needs to be. in fact, that is why I did my board this way.

It's simple and gives the same great result. =)

I am encouraged with kjmann's solution!

However, what I'd like to see - since I need it, because I'm a real novice - is:

1) Some pictures of the add-in board, or whatever it is, in its entirety. This thing that I'm going to order - exactly what does it look like, in totality? How big is it? There's some pics, but they're really close up of the board.

2) Some more pics of the install. Where does the board rest, inside the system? On one of the install pics (800XL) the RF modulator is removed. Is this absolutely necessary - is THAT the space where the board resides inside the case? Are there any caveats to removing it? I think there are on the 130XE, right? I'm guessing that the actual video/s-video/audio jacks on the 800XL are not mounted ON the board, but wired to it? Would like to see some pics of the inside, so as to see a model to emulate for my own installation.

3) Same for the 400. Where do you put the thing, and where do you put the jacks? I would feel better in undertaking such a project (project for me and other beginners - easy for you experts) if I could just get some nice digipics of the completed job - inside and out - and perhaps some pics along the way, at various stages of completion.

4) Is this S-video and audio only? In the 400 kit - it's cool that it comes with the resistors and an RCA jack. Is the RCA jack for audio, rather than composite? Is there an option to have both S-video and composite, since so many TVs don't have S-video anymore? This would be a desirable option; although the S-video is what we're really after, it's limiting to not have a composite jack on there.

But this looks good, and I'm glad kjmann is doing it, especially for the 400!! Yea!!!!

Edited by wood_jl

However, what I'd like to see - since I need it, because I'm a real novice - is:

1) Some pictures of the add-in board, or whatever it is, in its entirety. This thing that I'm going to order - exactly what does it look like, in totality? How big is it? There's some pics, but they're really close up of the board.

'Also' Some more pics of the install.

I'm Working on making some more pics of the final installation and the board.

2) Where does the board rest, inside the system?

On one of the install pics (800XL) the RF modulator is removed. Is this absolutely necessary - is THAT the space where the board resides inside the case? Are there any caveats to removing it? I think there are on the 130XE, right? I'm guessing that the actual video/s-video/audio jacks on the 800XL are not mounted ON the board, but wired to it?

The board can go almost anywhere inside the case. the S-Video Board is only 3/4" x 1/2". There is not much difference between leaving in or taking out the RF modulator, although it will not function after installing the board.

the S-Video Jack is Wired to the board and I use the RF Modulator output jack as the audio output.

4) Is this S-video and audio only? In the 400 kit - it's cool that it comes with the resistors and an RCA jack. Is the RCA jack for audio, rather than composite? Is there an option to have both S-video and composite, since so many TVs don't have S-video anymore? This would be a desirable option; although the S-video is what we're really after, it's limiting to not have a composite jack on there.

The board is S-Video only. The audio is simply a direct connection from a certain spot on the Main Motherboard to the Audio out jack. This bypasses a multitude of issues in the sound output Especially the Low Volume issue.

To obtain composite out, you simply need an S-Video to Composite adapter (This is one of the reasons for the Chroma Strength switch). Radio shack and other Electronics sources have them. I include one with every XL system that I sell.

But this looks good, and I'm glad kjmann is doing it, especially for the 400!! Yea!!!!

Thanks. I'm glad i could offer something that helps everyone out. =)

Edited by kjmann

On one of the install pics (800XL) the RF modulator is removed. Is this absolutely necessary - is THAT the space where the board resides inside the case? Are there any caveats to removing it? I think there are on the 130XE, right? I'm guessing that the actual video/s-video/audio jacks on the 800XL are not mounted ON the board, but wired to it?

The board can go almost anywhere inside the case. the S-Video Board is only 3/4" x 1/2". There is not much difference between leaving in or taking out the RF modulator, although it will not function after installing the board.

the S-Video Jack is Wired to the board and I use the RF Modulator output jack as the audio output.

The board is S-Video only. The audio is simply a direct connection from a certain spot on the Main Motherboard to the Audio out jack. This bypasses a multitude of issues in the sound output Especially the Low Volume issue.

To obtain composite out, you simply need an S-Video to Composite adapter (This is one of the reasons for the Chroma Strength switch). Radio shack and other Electronics sources have them. I include one with every XL system that I sell.

Link to the S-Video Instructions.

A better method of creating composite video from chroma/luma signals in the 2600, and reducing shadowing/color bleed, is discussed in this thread.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/176257-lets-design-a-new-video-mod/

It uses ICs which combine the signals using filters which prevent crossfeed between chroma and luma, these ICs are the FMS6400/FMS6406/FMS6410 or the ML6428. The chips are inexpensive, the ML6428 are $0.50ea with 1200+ in stock at Online Components.

http://www.onlinecomponents.com/fairchild_ml6428cs1x.html?p=11366096

Here are Pictures of the installation and the side of the 400 where I mounted the jacks.

As you can see the board is very tiny and can go almost anywhere inside the case....

I put the jacks here and simply moved the Capacitor that was inside the case to make room...

Here is a picture of the Standard S-Video Kit. the 400 version come with 4 extra resistors and a panel mount RCA jack.

A better method of creating composite video from chroma/luma signals in the 2600, and reducing shadowing/color bleed, is discussed in this thread.

It uses ICs which combine the signals using filters which prevent crossfeed between chroma and luma, these ICs are the FMS6400/FMS6406/FMS6410 or the ML6428. The chips are inexpensive, the ML6428 are $0.50ea with 1200+ in stock at Online Components.

This Solution is a bit more complicated than it really needs to be. Composite Video isn't that great to begin with and the IC's they are using are now obsolete. the new version of the IC's are $2.50 Each. also the board would have to be bigger and more components would have to be used making the kit more expensive for something that would improve the composite video by only a very small degree. With the Chroma intensity Switch that my kit has the color bleed is almost non-existent.

This Solution is a bit more complicated than it really needs to be. Composite Video isn't that great to begin with and the IC's they are using are now obsolete. the new version of the IC's are $2.50 Each. also the board would have to be bigger and more components would have to be used making the kit more expensive for something that would improve the composite video by only a very small degree. With the Chroma intensity Switch that my kit has the color bleed is almost non-existent.

I'm not suggesting using the entire circuit from that thread, it is for the 2600 after all.

What I am suggesting is using such an IC with the s-video output from your circuit to create a composite output, I realize that these are older technology ICs which can be hard to find which is why I posted a link to supplier with stock.

The other thing I learned from reading that thread is that replacing the CD4050 buffer with a faster 74HC4050E version will probably reduce color bleed/shadowing.

• 5 months later...

Hi kjmann,

Sorry to bring back an old thread, but I've been reading up on your mod. I've been wanting to do an s-video/composite mod, and I would love to get one of your boards. Would I be able to order one from you?

Also, a quick question. Many of the links on this threads seem to be broken. Is it possible that there is a place that shows how your mod is mounted internally in the 400, and also how to build it.

Much thanks in advance

Kjmann's website:

http://atari-sales.c...ore/frames.html

Select "hardware upgrades".

His s-video kit works perfectly on my 800XL.

Thanks for the link.

I downloaded the "instruction manual" from the page. It's not very comprehensive...in fact i'd be hard pressed to call it a manual at all, just a couple of pictures showing mount points. I'm sure things would become clearer if I had the parts infront of me, but there isn't even a clear picture of what the unit looks like on the page so it's hard to imagine.

Anyway, what I wanted to know was where does the board fit?

Is it possible to not have to drill a hole in the case to mount the female s-video socket? I want to keep everything internal, maybe use a small s-video to composite adaptor (also internal) and then I can possibly unplug the existing internal RF cable and plug that into the S-video to composite adaptor and use this cable to send the composite signal out of the machine. Does this make sense. I want to keep the external looks of the machine unchanged. I'm not so worried about the audio and can keep using the internal speaker.

Cheers

The mod is so small you could put it practically anywhere. My plan was to put it on top of the rf box, or in its place. I was also going to solder an s-video ond audio cable directly to the mod/ motherboard and route the cable out of the case the same way that the original rf cable did.

Best laid plans and all that :(

The mod is so small you could put it practically anywhere. My plan was to put it on top of the rf box, or in its place. I was also going to solder an s-video ond audio cable directly to the mod/ motherboard and route the cable out of the case the same way that the original rf cable did.

ive got 2 of kjmans video upgrades. one for the 400 and one for the 800xl and they both work great. the one for the 400 is a little harder to put in than the 800xl version. sounds like you did somthing wrong.

ive got 2 of kjmans video upgrades. one for the 400 and one for the 800xl and they both work great. the one for the 400 is a little harder to put in than the 800xl version. sounds like you did somthing wrong.

Did you install in a PAL 400?

• 3 months later...

I made this image in anticipation of my adaptor arriving as I found Sals 'instructions' to be lacking, and I wanted something simple to understand. As most of you know my unit never arrived and Atari Rage just melted away.

shapeimage_2.png

I was just going to make mine composite (not S-video) and solder a 470pf cap between Y and C to do this. You can ignore this otherwise. Also I wasn't going to wormy about the audio so I didn't shown any of those connections.

Anyway, hope this helps...and I hope there are no mistakes.