IGNORED

Anyone know of all the retro compilations for the PS2?

Ross PK

So far I know of,

Activision Anthology

Atari Anthology

Capcom Classics Collection

Capcom Classics Collection 2

Intellivision Lives

Midway Arcade Treasures

Midway Arcade Treasures 2

Midway Arcade Treasures 3

Namco Museum

Namco Museum 50th Anniversary

Sega Mega Drive/Genesis Collection

Sonic Gems Collection

Sonic Mega Collection Plus

Taito Legends

Taito Legends 2

Any others?

So far I know of,

Activision Anthology

Atari Anthology

Capcom Classics Collection

Capcom Classics Collection 2

Intellivision Lives

Midway Arcade Treasures

Midway Arcade Treasures 2

Midway Arcade Treasures 3

Namco Museum

Namco Museum 50th Anniversary

Sega Mega Drive/Genesis Collection

Sonic Gems Collection

Sonic Mega Collection Plus

Taito Legends

Taito Legends 2

Any others?

SNK Arcade Classics Vol 1

Metal Slug Anthology

King of Fighters: The Orochi Saga

Sega Classics (kind of a classic collection, but remakes instead)

Tekken 5 (has Tekken 1, 2, 3, and Starblade on it)

Tecmo Hit Parade

Also Space Invaders 25th Anniversary (preferably with the nice controller holder below). There's a bunch more collections I can't even think of at the moment.. mostly jap only.

Space_Invaders_Anniversary_PS2Set_A.jpg

Ah! Can't believe I completely forgot about Space Invaders Anniversary, especially since I've been planning on probably getting it next.

SNK Arcade Classics Vol 1

Metal Slug Anthology

King of Fighters: The Orochi Saga

AVOID THESE. They're terrible.

The two Fatal Fury Battle Archives volumes are good, though.

And while it's not a classics collection, KOF98 Ultimate Match has an excellent emulation of the Neo Geo original as well as a good remake of the original game itself.

Maybe include PS1 games in your hunt:

Should definitely mention the uniqueness of PS1 Arcade compilations. Atari Anniversary Collection for instance supports a PS1 Mouse and the Nyco Trakball. Missile Command, Centipede, Tempest and all the Arcade games with a real Trakball!

http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=29445&p=404252#p404252

One thing I love about PS1 Arcade Compilations over other console releases. All the custom controls and DIP switches! You can even adjust EVERY button and direction to any custom setting.

The PS1 Midway and Williams Arcade Collections as well as the Namco series allows for custom controls and DIP switch settings. Robotron for instance can be customized for Two Arcade Sticks for a perfect Twin Stick control. Unfortunately these features were not included in the newer consoles.

http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=290325#p290325

arcadeghwilliams.jpg

PS1 allowed custom controls in the Arcade Classics series. Player two controller can be customized to work with player one. Robotron Player 1 can control movement and Player two can fire. Now if two Arcade digital sticks are plugged in, the player two stick can be made as the directional fire buttons. See where I am leading? Single player now has Dual Stick control just like the original Arcade! When I first discovered this I was truly back in Twin Stick heaven! Notice there are no hardware mods, just configurations in the game menu.

Fully customizable controllers and Arcade Dip Switches for lives and difficulty, Unlike the newer console Arcade Treasures compilation releases.

Edited by CRTGAMER

One of the things that **SUCKS** about the Midway Arcade Treasures......

Midway_Arcade_Treasures.pngmidway_arcade_treasures_1-playstation_2.jpg

....which was shortly thereafter renamed "Midway Arcade Treasures 1" is that they botched Super Sprint. This was primarily the reason I bought the f***king thing, to begin with. This is one of my favorite arcade games of all-time.

For some damned reason, they have "the gas on" ALL THE TIME. You can't let off. What in the HELL were they thinking? It's unplayable.

Fortunately, this PS1 title.....

1onyzeiobj.jpg

.....has a great Super Sprint, and does not suffer from that problem. Unfortunately, this is one of the few PS1 titles that will NOT play on a PS2!!!!

(The NES and the Atari ST also get props for having great Super Sprint games)

.....has a great Super Sprint, and does not suffer from that problem. Unfortunately, this is one of the few PS1 titles that will NOT play on a PS2!!!!

Smash TV also has a lower overall framerate in the first PS2 compilation, whereas it runs at full speed in the Arcade Party Pack. I never quite understood that. Still, it's not a bad collection at all considering it can be had for a few bucks these days. The XBOX Midway packs are the way to go though, the emulation is a good bit closer than the PS2 counterparts.

I don't have the PS2 versions of the Midway Arcade Treasures line, but I do own the Xbox and GameCube versions.

Super Sprint (And Championship Sprint) work correctly on those consoles. Although why you'd want to play whem without the free spinning arcade wheel, I don't know.

I don't have the PS2 versions of the Midway Arcade Treasures line, but I do own the Xbox and GameCube versions.

Super Sprint (And Championship Sprint) work correctly on those consoles. Although why you'd want to play whem without the free spinning arcade wheel, I don't know.

You play them without it because you don't have an arcade machine at home. Same reason you play "Super Off Road" on the NES/SNES/Genesis - **properly implemented** digital control can still be a whole lot of fun. The Tengen NES port of Super Sprint has it just about perfect. Between "tapping" and letting off the gas, you can whip the car around the corners as well as you can with a wheel, with a whole lot less work. Pole Position on the Atari 400/800 is the same - you play that with an Atari joystick and it's good fun. However, I have played many, many games where the digital steering was too fast/too slow/not responsive/too responsive. On the NES, Atari ST, and that PS1 compilation, it's quite excellent, and does manage to capture the fun of the game. I'm not saying a wheel isn't fun, but it's not in the cards, and the game is *excellent* even in multi-player with the digital controls.

Thanks for the tip on the GC and Xbox versions. I don't understand why they did that to the PS2 version. I thought my controller was malfunctioning, at first. It's too bad Gamestop got rid of all the old games - was great not paying shipping on throw-away-cheap games.

I have the older version of the "Midway Arcade Treasures" (pictured in an above post), 'cause I was dying to get it. I wonder if they fixed Super Sprint in the new package for "Midway Arcade Treasures 1?"

Edited by wood_jl

I can enjoy home conversions of games like Pole Position and Super Sprint that are crafted with a home console controller in mind.

But things like Pole Position I/II on a Namco Museum release or Super Sprint on a Midway/Atari collection just always was a turn off to me. They never seemed to control very well when it's the actual arcade original with a different controller shoehorned on to it.

To me, Super Sprint becomes unplayable very quickly in something like MAT1, where as I can go much further into the game on an actual arcade cabinet. That, to me, was always an annoyance. And it's probably why I don't mind things like the NES conversion. Having nothing else to compare with, I'm not left feeling like my capability to properly control the game is crippled.

I doubt the rerelease on the PS2 fixed it. Would be unusual for such a thing to happen, especially for a budget classic compilation.

Maybe include PS1 games in your hunt:

Should definitely mention the uniqueness of PS1 Arcade compilations. Atari Anniversary Collection for instance supports a PS1 Mouse and the Nyco Trakball. Missile Command, Centipede, Tempest and all the Arcade games with a real Trakball!

http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=29445&p=404252#p404252

One thing I love about PS1 Arcade Compilations over other console releases. All the custom controls and DIP switches! You can even adjust EVERY button and direction to any custom setting.

The PS1 Midway and Williams Arcade Collections as well as the Namco series allows for custom controls and DIP switch settings. Robotron for instance can be customized for Two Arcade Sticks for a perfect Twin Stick control. Unfortunately these features were not included in the newer consoles.

http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=290325#p290325

arcadeghwilliams.jpg

PS1 allowed custom controls in the Arcade Classics series. Player two controller can be customized to work with player one. Robotron Player 1 can control movement and Player two can fire. Now if two Arcade digital sticks are plugged in, the player two stick can be made as the directional fire buttons. See where I am leading? Single player now has Dual Stick control just like the original Arcade! When I first discovered this I was truly back in Twin Stick heaven! Notice there are no hardware mods, just configurations in the game menu.

Fully customizable controllers and Arcade Dip Switches for lives and difficulty, Unlike the newer console Arcade Treasures compilation releases.

It was just last night when I realised I could look into the PS1 compilations too. :)

Two different collections with different game lineups. And Namco Museum relied on ports, while the 50th Anniversary Edition utilized emulation through Digital Eclipse.

For a table showing what each Namco Museum has, here's a link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Namco_Museum#Table_of_Namco_Museum_games

The 50th Anniversay edition is the way to go for a last generation Namco Museum release. Not much point to own the original unless you happened to like the arrangement games (Which few did) or Pac-Attack.

Edited by Atariboy

One of the things that **SUCKS** about the Midway Arcade Treasures......

Midway_Arcade_Treasures.pngmidway_arcade_treasures_1-playstation_2.jpg

....which was shortly thereafter renamed "Midway Arcade Treasures 1" is that they botched Super Sprint. This was primarily the reason I bought the f***king thing, to begin with. This is one of my favorite arcade games of all-time.

For some damned reason, they have "the gas on" ALL THE TIME. You can't let off. What in the HELL were they thinking? It's unplayable.

Fortunately, this PS1 title.....

1onyzeiobj.jpg

You got me worried, I already have Midway Arcade Treasures with the 1 on it. I went out and hunted for the other version. Both have identical discs with a matched copyright of 2003 on either cover. So basically the cover insert and game manuals are slightly different. I just printed out a list of all my local gamestops that have this game, I'll see if there is a different version disc.

Super Sprint Fix (Either PS2 version)

The Gas defaults to the right Analog stick, pull down to slow down. At the main game menu you can change the gas to the direction up and down. Either Full or reactive setting.

Oh I completely forgot about all the Sega Ages 2500 titles.. which with Phantasy Star Generation 1/Complete Collection, Monster World Complete, and Sega Memorial Collection could be considered compilations. Although a lot of the titles were singles. Like the one below had Congo Bongo, etc.

929100_68663_front.jpg

Edited by NE146

i have almost all of them. icon_lust.gif

april172011044.jpg?t=1303100255

I love the cover art for Intellivision Lives, much better than the one we have over here in the UK. Not that the UK one looks bad or anything.

But at least a free art card comes with Taito Legends over here. :P

Edited by Ross PK