IGNORED

Code Name: Sector

Tursi

This is a simulation of the old game "Code Name: Sector". In it, you attempt to hunt and sink a hidden sub with 1-4 players, using only a range finder and some deduction.

I've made it mostly play like the original, enough, I believe, that the original documentation will suffice. You must have graph paper to play, the computer is only the scorekeeper! Besides the time it would take, I think having the computer do the charting removes about 90% of the puzzle aspect from the game. :)

Included in the zip is the readme file with notes, and an old PDF of the original Code Name: Sector manual. In the manual is a "training mission" you can run to learn the basic steps to the game. The only part that differs slightly is the mechanism used to aim and fire, so read the readme.txt file for those notes.

The game runs in Extended BASIC and is playable in regular, non-overdrive mode. Overdrive makes the display slightly more responsive, but it's not bad, and often better with it off.

Not sure if I will put this on my website, due to the copyright issues.

Happy hunting!

post-12959-0-19968400-1302822572_thumb.jpg

cnsector2.zip

(edit: uploaded version 2 with several replay bugfixes and optional sound effects)

Edited by Tursi

Do you ever get up from your computer to go to the bathroom or eat? :)

oooh.. food sounds like a good idea... ;)

It's been pretty intense for the last couple of weeks, but I'll probably disappear for a bit afterwards. ;)

I was eying the real game on Ebay a couple of days ago! And I distinctly remember thinking that it would be a good game to emulate With your permission, I wouldn't mind posting it on the Gameshelf site.

I played it quite a lot as a kid, always liked the way it made you narrow it down. You certainly may post it!

• 4 months later...

Tursi, there is a minor bug in the program. I have been playing it for review purposes and I noticed that when you give up the game using the G option then decide to replay or change options, the W and S graphics on the main screen are showing the undefined graphics instead. Nothing horrible, but I thought I'll mention it. Terrific game by the way!!!

If you are going to fix that bug, please let me know. I'm going to hold off posting it until I hear from you. One thing I thought would have made the game even better would have been some sound effects. Maybe a siren for SOS, and crunch for collision and an explosion for firing. I don't think the original game had any sounds, but I'm not sure...

Tursi, there is a minor bug in the program. I have been playing it for review purposes and I noticed that when you give up the game using the G option then decide to replay or change options, the W and S graphics on the main screen are showing the undefined graphics instead. Nothing horrible, but I thought I'll mention it. Terrific game by the way!!!

If you are going to fix that bug, please let me know. I'm going to hold off posting it until I hear from you. One thing I thought would have made the game even better would have been some sound effects. Maybe a siren for SOS, and crunch for collision and an explosion for firing. I don't think the original game had any sounds, but I'm not sure...

Oh! Thanks for the note. The sound effects are good ideas, though I don't remember that it played any (it may have beeped when you pressed keys). Sounds like I should fix that, anyway. Let me take a look at least at the bug...

I've uploaded a new version to the first post there that should be fixed.

I'm not super happy with the sonar ping or the siren sound effects, that and the fact that they take time means I added an extra option to disable them. ;)

Thanks! I think the sounds add a nice dimension to the game and I like them just fine :)

Excellent .... Code Name Sector! I'm pretty certain a friend of mine had something like this when we were younger.

Upon reading about it on the internet, I was pleased to find out that TI made the guts the for computer itself, albeit with a hefty 64-bytes of memory and 1K ROM ! :D

http://www.dicemaestro.com/games-articles/retroactive-code-name-sector.asp

By the way, an excellent game Tursi, and very well executed. I love the red LEDs !!!

Edited by TEXAS_JOE
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

Can anybody give a non-compute the step-by-step on how to make this go? What I mean is, how do I make it run? I can navigate to its location in the command prompt but I don't know how to make it run.

This program can only run under an emulator or on a real TI. Which emulator do you plan on using? IMHO, Classic99 is the easiest to use. If you use the latter, just unzip the file at the top of this thread and drop the SECTOR file in a DSK folder in the Classic99 directory. Assuming you picked DSK1, run the emulator with the Extended Basic cart, and once you see the * READY * prompt, type RUN "DSK1.SECTOR" (don't forget the quotation marks) and enjoy the game. I believe the zipped file contains a PDF scan of the game instructions. Hope that helps.

• 4 years later...