IGNORED

A new game during the french AC2k11 coding contest

Fadest

The 3rd edition of the AC coding contest was helding this WE in France.

Like 2 years ago (A Bug's Lynx), I choosed to code for the Lynx.

The thema was Tetris/puzzle game, with this constraint : add bonus/malus. Of course, all has to be done in a bit more than 24h.

Well, if you are expecting a new Tetris with lot of option like Tetris Gaiden on Lynx, I'm sorry, it will be Tetris Raiden in fact...

Yes, Raiden, like the well known games with a space ship, and shoots...

So, the gameplay is reversed, Tetris bricks are falling, the only way to interact with them is to shoot one or more block while falling. You can move on all the bricks already fallen (this is why there is allways a bottom line). Of course, the main goal to score is to make lines, like in real Tetris. You lose if colums are too high, like in real Tetris...

But you also lose if the ship is captured by a monster (hey, have you ever seen a Tetris without monsters :D ?) or if you are dumb enough to shoot a bomb in front of you while you are on the bottom line.

There is also another way to lose in this demo : score over 500 points (sorry, I would not want to see this ROM onEbay like it occured with A Bug's Lynx, so it is restricted).

To have a summary of bonus/malus, just press Pause while playing.

Here are the special blocs :

- 2 of them let you improve (max 5) or decrease (min 1) your number of max shoot allowed,

- the bomb will also destroy the 8 surrounding blocs when shoot (can be shot while falling, but also on grid)

- the laser will destroy all blocs on same line when shoot, (can be shot while falling, but also on grid)

- The monster bloc will crate a monster when fall stop : the monster will move randomly on grid. You can shoot it. You could also destroy monster bloc while falling...

- The "protect line" will disable the ability the remove a whole line when complete. If you didn't destroyed it while falling, the only way to remove it is to shoot a neighbour bomb, or a laser on the same line.

Some more infos :

- this is a demo version, for Handy of flash cards, limited to 500 points max

- it is not allowed to resell this ROM

- there are still some bugs, the most annoying known is that the music doesn't loop, and stop on a continuous note.

- it is normal that a full line does not disappear if your ship is on this line, just move up or down and it will be destroyed

- the game ended 2nd of contest, the winner was a game on GP32 by Orion_

post-5316-0-74329700-1303074194_thumb.jpg

Have fun, I am waiting for your feedback...

File : traidemo.o

(file removed after 30 days)

• Like 3

A nice little game :) I like it. Any plans for a Yastuna 3 release maybe, together with your "A Bug´s Lynx"? (Recognized the music from Lynxopoly BTW :D).

First, the lyx-file doesn´t work on the card unfortunately. Maybe because it doesn´t follow the 128/256/512 format? Don´t bother now because it works fine with Handy.

EDIT ha! I got it working on the FC now :) forgot to change its options to ".LYX" So typical! Looks great now!

The music track plays lovely, nice upbeat tempo with a humalong quality.

You can move on all the bricks already fallen

This is important to realize, otherwise you´ll die far away from the 500 points mark.

You can shoot faster when you move up the wall rather than from below all the time. You move around more than on Space Invaders, horizontally and vertically.

Interesting. After having played it on Handy I´ve gotten it on the FC and it plays MUCH EASIER this way :D

Thanks for a fun game :)

Edited by Atari_afternoon

Thanks for the nice comment.

Yes, it is important to move up and down, at least to catch '+1 shoot' bonus, and have a shorter range to shoot bricks.

A nice little game :) I like it. Any plans for a Yastuna 3 release maybe, together with your "A Bug´s Lynx"? (Recognized the music from Lynxopoly BTW :D).

I was thinking of including both into an hypothetic Yastuna 0, with some other games, but it would be a (very) long term project (I need others games, and I have only 1 in development stage :D), so I may think of something else.

Yes, I know that ABL music is the same than in Lynxopoly. Rygar gave me his ABCmusic directory during the show, just before the time limit, and I choosed this one. He forgot that Matashen already used it for Lynxopoly. I will change it of course if there is a final release of ABL.

Looks very promising! I'm gonna give it a shot when back home. Quite insane how you program a whole game in 24 hours.

PS. did you ever got around the AI in Ladybug? That game would be so neat if the enemies were a bit more coordinated :)

Edited by Ninjabba

PS. did you ever got around the AI in Ladybug? That game would be so neat if the enemies were a bit more coordinated :)

Not yet. I stopped considering improving the game when the beta version popped up on Ebay.

I finally found a backup of the source some weeks ago, so I may get back to it. The main problem is that I am not sure to undestand how I coded 2 years ago, especially at 3AM :D

• Like 1

I really appreciate your effort to still code on the Atari Lynx but you may reconsider using "Tetris" in your homebrew. The copyright holders of the name "Tetris", Tetris LLC, are pretty agressive against everyone who use their trademark without permission.

Yes I know...

The title was just a "clin d'oeil" (how is it said in english ? - kind of a fun reference/hommage -) to Tetris Gaiden, which was the kind of game the jury expected.

For an upgraded version, the name will be completely different with probably no reference to Tetris.

Very nice, Fadest! Another fun game you have created, and so quickly. Very impressive!

I like the combination of shooting and strategy. Quite creative on your part. I haven't loaded it on my flashcard yet, but it is very fun on Handy.

I got to 527! Yay! I understand why you have the 500 point limit, but it is too bad that some bad people had to ruin our fun by selling your hard work without your permission.

During the game, the music hit a note and stuck there. Is that because I played long enough to get to the end of the song, or is it a glitch?

Wonderful job, Fadest! Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,

Smeg

Thanks for the nice comment.

During the game, the music hit a note and stuck there. Is that because I played long enough to get to the end of the song, or is it a glitch?

Yes, it's a known bug, I have to debug the ABC track because it does not loop to the start.

• 1 year later...