IGNORED

How can I record a video in Stella?

JAC!

Hi,

After 8 hours of coding my brain is almost dead and I'm not able to find out how I can record a video from Stella running my production. And please don't tell me it's not possible.... Help!

Hi,

After 8 hours of coding my brain is almost dead and I'm not able to find out how I can record a video from Stella running my production. And please don't tell me it's not possible.... Help!

One solution is to download a free program such as CamStudio, which lets you capture a video of your desktop. You can capture the whole desktop, or just specify a rectangular area you want to capture, and you can also control the capture speed (how many milliseconds to wait between each frame), as well as the amount of compression to use. Of course, depending on the settings and how many minutes of video you're trying to capture, the resulting video file could be quite large!

Michael

Hi Michael,

Unfortunately CamStudio refuses to record audio under brand new Windows 7 with really sucking internal Audio Card (no option for Stereo Mix..) Maybe I'll try it on a Vista machine tomorrow. But I consider your answer as "Stella does no support it right away... Sigh.

. . . or MESS .

Nope, better not use that MESS to record videos. If you do that, you'll be lazy:

Snapshots, audio and video capture in MESS

Lazy users can use -aviwrite to dump both audio and video to an .avi file at the same time: the price to pay is a greater overhead and consequently a slower and more sluggish emulation.

Stupid, lazy users always wanting to make videos the easy way. Who do they think they are? They should hit F12 repeatedly with their elbow to make thousands of snapshots while playing, then load the thousands of snapshots into Windows Movie Maker. After all of the snapshots have been dragged and dropped into place, the user should connect a microphone and add the sound effects by creating noises with his or her mouth.

*Brrrrrroooooooom!*

*Kapow!*

*Buzzzzappp!*

Once the snapshots and user-created sound effects have been perfectly synchronized, it's time to save the project. Oops, there was an error and the program crashed. Everything was lost. Please try again.