IGNORED

New Duke Nukem Trailer

Ite

IDK, Im certainly having more fun with this one that I ever had with D3D.

High praise indeed!

I think when I do snag a copy, I want to get the BOS edition as well. Love the collectors editions. Does anyone already have it, and if so, what is their opinion of the swag that it comes with?

I picked it up last night, it comes with quite a bit of stuff. The statue is typical of what youd expect, comes with an artbook detailing the progress, a big decal, dice, pokerchips, the playing cards were dissapointing ( I was under the impression they were full size), and few other things i never opened( I think it may be postcards).

I picked it up last night, it comes with quite a bit of stuff. The statue is typical of what youd expect, comes with an artbook detailing the progress, a big decal, dice, pokerchips, the playing cards were dissapointing ( I was under the impression they were full size), and few other things i never opened( I think it may be postcards).

I was also under the impression that they were full sized playing cards. Anything short of that is just lame. Over all I got the BOS edition just to have the Duke statue. It will make nice eye candy in the game room.

I was also under the impression that they were full sized playing cards. Anything short of that is just lame. Over all I got the BOS edition just to have the Duke statue. It will make nice eye candy in the game room.

cards aren't poker sized? that sucks. .

yeah - duke seems like a poker guy to me - can't imagine him playing bridge.

cards aren't poker sized? that sucks. .

yeah - duke seems like a poker guy to me - can't imagine him playing bridge.

Maybe its just foreshadowing.

When the next Duke Nukem comes out in 30 years he will probably be in the old folks home playing some bridge when the aliens attack.

When the next Duke Nukem comes out in 30 years he will probably be in the old folks home playing some bridge when the aliens attack.

With the kinds of reviews people seem to be giving it all over the place, it may indeed be 30+ years before we see another Duke Nukem. The people that do seem to like it well enough seem to stress to play the PC version instead of the consoles tho. Apparently load times are a LOT higher on the consoles.

With the kinds of reviews people seem to be giving it all over the place, it may indeed be 30+ years before we see another Duke Nukem. The people that do seem to like it well enough seem to stress to play the PC version instead of the consoles tho. Apparently load times are a LOT higher on the consoles.

It depends on what difficulty you chose..lower difficulty seems to be lower load time. The load times wouldnt bother me if it was just one time, but it reloads every single time you die.

Still, this will go down as the most underated game of all time. I really think these reviews are based on anymosity. The load times and the character models are the only things I see that could have been done better. I dont understand the complaints with the graphics, they are pretty much on par with LFD or better and no one seemed trash that game for graphics.

So I picked my copy up last night on the way home. Everything in the BOS edition was cool though the cards are kind of sucky because of their size.

As for the game itself, I am pleased. Sure, some of the graphics aren't on perfect par with some modern games, but then again I play more classics then modern games so I'm used to that. Over all its a sequal to DN3D and if feels that way. The things people are complaining about the most are the things I find most enjoyable. It is very 90s and to me that adds to the feeling of finally playing Duke Nukem Forever.

I still think this game was released as pure fan service. Its clear having played it that they didn't try to really polish it too much more and they didn't go out of the way to add too many modern gaming standards. They just released Duke Nukem Forever. I can dig that.

The multiple weapons thing does take away from the Duke feel some, and the missing key cards and health packs are kind of odd as well. I understand the move, but it would be pretty cool to get a modern take on that older style of game play. I have long thought a Doom/Duke game done in the original style with brand new graphics would be great. There were things about that game play style that would be considered wildly different to the modern gamer.

The multiple weapons thing does take away from the Duke feel some, and the missing key cards and health packs are kind of odd as well.

I laughed quite a bit in the beginning when Duke goes to a door and can't open it because he doesn't have a key card. "Keycard? I don't need no stinking key card!" BAM!!

I think a major part of the reviewers problems with this game is that they seem to forget that much of the code is 12 years old. I get the feeling that most reviewers can't get images of CoD, Halo, Battlefield, Crysis, etc out of their minds and are judging DNF as if it was developed only a year ago.

And maybe part of that problem is on Gearbox for putting in Ego instead of health packs, limiting the player to two weapons, and making other changes that are the norm of current FPS games.

While I prefer the older "play mechanic's" of Duke...... health packs, atomic health, more than two available weapons, limited use of night vision googles, etc..... I am not unhappy at all with Duke Nukem Forever. I'm having a blast playing it and that's all that matters to me.

Duke Nukem Forever isn't for everyone..... but then what game is?

Mendon

I really had no interest in playing this, especially after seeing the reviews bashing it left and right. But my friend had it on when I came in and I got hooked immediately. The complains just seem like mindless whining now. Sure his style is over the top macho/sexist, but that's his personality. People would complain equally if he had turned into a quiet, politically correct Duke. I guess you can never satisfy the reviewers, which is sad because they almost caused me to miss out on an 8.5/10 game.

• Like 4

Okay, I'm really really tempted to try and get this now. If it is like the N64, and NOT HALO that would be a plus to me. I couldn't stick with the modern crap. Haven't played any of that stuff everyone likes now. Does GameStop still take PS2 crap?

AX

i dont think they take PS2 stuff on trade now, it looked like they were liquidating everything when i was in there last.

Well, the game is pretty f'n awsome so far. Combat is typical oldschool fps and I actually like the two weapon system and regen health, I think it works well. I kinda dig the drivng missions also, as well as all the little mini games..they lead to a nice distraction.

Name me one oldschool FPS that limits you to two guns & has regenerating health.

I've finished DNF - it's crude and rude, packed with fan service, unapologetically old school in several ways, has outdated tech and textures, and was PURE DUKE AWESOME from start to finish. Most people whining at this game have no fucking clue of what it is and was meant to be. Period.

DNF kept me playing and laughing until it was all over. Lot's of people had to sacrifice and pour their heart and soul into keeping Duke alive, and I thank them for that...

• Like 4

Wow, you beat it already and I keep on getting lost... I don't know what I am doing wrong... maybe I should turn down the textures or something, that is causing things to blend in... but I just simply keep on getting stuck in rooms.

EDIT: I just found a walkthrough on the game. The game is MUCH brighter with everything turned up than on the Xbox/ps3... those fans are so bright in the ducts, I couldn't see the next passage, where to go to.

Looks like I'm turning down the graphics.

Edited by keilbaca

I've finished DNF - it's crude and rude, packed with fan service, unapologetically old school in several ways, has outdated tech and textures, and was PURE DUKE AWESOME from start to finish. Most people whining at this game have no fucking clue of what it is and was meant to be. Period.

DNF kept me playing and laughing until it was all over. Lot's of people had to sacrifice and pour their heart and soul into keeping Duke alive, and I thank them for that...

Hmm, the DNF I was playing turned Duke into a wimp who hides behind rocks because he can't take three bullets without dying. Which version did you get??

Hmm, the DNF I was playing turned Duke into a wimp who hides behind rocks because he can't take three bullets without dying. Which version did you get??

You have to go through and find all the little ego stuff to gain more life.

Well, the game is pretty f'n awsome so far. Combat is typical oldschool fps and I actually like the two weapon system and regen health, I think it works well. I kinda dig the drivng missions also, as well as all the little mini games..they lead to a nice distraction.

Name me one oldschool FPS that limits you to two guns & has regenerating health.

Re-read my post there sport

Okay. Now explain how it's oldschool.

Okay. Now explain how it's oldschool.

Play the multiplayer and then tell me how it isnt, how about that?

The point about two weapons is #1 Stupid, and #2 Mute. There are so many weapons scattered through the game you can pretty much change out whenever you want any how. Additionally, you also have can carry trip mines and explosives so in reality you can carry four weapons.

Edited by Skarrj

The point about two weapons is #1 Stupid, and #2 Mute. There are so many weapons scattered through the game you can pretty much change out whenever you want any how. Additionally, you also have can carry trip mines and explosives so in reality you can carry four weapons.

I disagree with your opinion that the two weapons arguement is mute (or moot as that is more likely what you meant) , but I wouldn't call you or your opinion (as I'm sure you'll be pointing out that you were talking about the opinion and not the user) stupid for disagreeing with my opinion on this matter. :ponder:

• Like 2

Oldschool or not, I'm glad to see regenerating health in this game instead of hunting for health. In a lot of older games I have to sneak around cautiously because I'm low on health, and playing sneak and peak isn't Duke's style. As far as two weapons go, it would be cooler to be able to carry more, but I'm not gonna gripe about it since there's a good supply of weapons to swap. It's not a game ruining factor for me.

In a lot of older games I have to sneak around cautiously because I'm low on health,

Why again?

Being able to save anywhere should keep that from happening shouldn't it? You take a crap load of damage in D3D, you just reload your last save, plow through again and perfect your approach. Am I right or am I completely forgetting how these old games play?

You can save anywhere in DNF can't you?

Again not condemning this game, especially since I have yet to play it, but I'm hearing a lot of things about it that have me scratching my head and most of what I'm hearing would certainly contribute to a lower rating for this particular game.