IGNORED

Sic!Cart preorder

St(r)yker

Received today!

Thanks St®yker, that was a pretty fast delivery!

Have some questions though about its.... usage! (I don't want to mess the current thread, but hey mods, move accordingly if necessary!)

Haven't connect it to the cart slot of my 65XE yet.

I wonder how do I insert rom files in it? Do I need special hardware to do it (programmer etc)?

Please help!

• 2 weeks later...

Tezz, i've only said its possible, no development for it has been made - i cannot take everything over my head, and i certainly can't pay for every prototype - it really costs alot

if there will be any intrest in this, and Stryker decides he want to do this - i can design it

Are you still considering creating the higher capacity (XE only) cart that you mentioned you and Candle were planning?

With the SIDE cart around the corner, I don't see much use for flash carts with a higher capacity that the current available. For the current cartridge games (like Space Harrier, Bomb Jake, etc), the current carts are big enough. And for multi-carts, I think that a SIDE cart with CF-cards provide much more capacity, flexibility (various file systems) and are more user friendly (with FAT 32 loader) than a regular flash carts can provide (at reasonable costs).

Robert

[Edit]

The only thing I'm missing is an XE compatible multi-cart that can run XE cart games unmodified. AFAIK, all the current flash carts are not XE cart compatible.

Ideal to me would be an advanced version of the SIDE cart that also contains 128KB SRAM for cart emulation. Then the SRAM can be loaded with an XE cart image from CF card after which the Atari can reboot to play the cart image from the SRAM.

[/Edit]

Edited by rdemming

xe game carts doesn't have exacly the same banking scheme, so what you need is very small fpga or mcu fast enought to simulate any banking scheme that might be requred by a certain cart

that makes things uneconomical i'm affride

whats more - many of these games are available in file version anyways

Could you expand the memory addressing to include the 8 bits from the banking register and then just load the program code in the proper banks? 256 banks that hold 8K each would need a 2MB flash. There would be a *lot* of duplicate segments so you wouldn't have to read 2MB from your storage device.

Bob

xe game carts doesn't have exacly the same banking scheme, so what you need is very small fpga or mcu fast enought to simulate any banking scheme that might be requred by a certain cart

Hi Candle,

Do you mean other differences than just the rom size? From the docs I saw, $8000-$9FFF is the bank-switched area. And $A000-$BFFF contains always the last bank. A write to any location in $D5xx will select the bank in $8000-$9FFF. So indeed the last bank will be different for the 32, 64 and 128KB cart variants, but I think that can be solved by just repeating/loading the banks of a 32/64KB cart also in the following banks. Or are there other differences in the XE carts?

You are right that there are file versions of many of the XE cart games. But most of them require extended memory. (That problem will be solved soon when I get the Ultimate 1MB :-D ). But not all file versions are that good. For example the file version of Airball pauses/hangs for a few moments when moving to the next room while the original cart has not that problem.

Robert

Maybe I'm just stupid but can't get my sic!'s to work.

To simplify it all I plugged in a cart with 29C020 and booted SDX444_siccart256.atr (6/16/2011) using AspeQt. I get the "SDX/Flash" prompt, set the switch from "down" to "up" and most of the time I got stuck at the "waiting for SDX cartridge" prompt. No matter how I use the switch on the side, it just keeps showing that prompt.

In some cases I can get past the prompt while setting the switch to "up" and pressing a key, showing a menu to select which flashROM I have. Since it's a 29C020 I select the "29C.." 256KB option. I replies with that the 256KB ROM image is too big to fit into a 128KB flashROM (?). While continuing anyways it asks to erase flash. At doing so it starts displaying "erase...." and that's about it. Don't know how long it takes to erase the flash but certainly not as long as I have tried.

----------

Next, I try another sic! with 39SF040 on it. The changes this one get's past the first "SDX/flashing" prompt is bigger but still not 100%. Next it shows "Warning: Flash not found!" with the 3 options to select the type of flash. Only 29Cxxx, 29Fxxx and 49Fxxx are listed. No 39SFxxx option. AFAIK a 39SFxxx can be compared to a 29Cxxx so I select the first option and next the "512K" option. It shows "Chip erase", then "Erasing all ..." and what's next? It just sits there, showing it is erasing but never seems to end.

Do I miss something obvious?

I'm trying this on a 128KB 130XE and to exclude compatibility issues I disconnected my Black-Box.

Also, when trying SICFLASH.COM and SICDUMP.COM, running with Sparta-Dos 3.3b, nothing seems to happen either. I never got past the first "press key" prompt.

Stryker's pages are no help as all links are invalid (all pointing to "pigwa#").

Show the screenshots of what you do

Screenshots won't do as nothing will happen (except for the "enable cart and press key prompt") but at the meanwhile I tried the 2MBit cart in another system (600XL, 64KB) and SDX came up. Since it didn't on my 130XE it must be that particular 130XE that is acting up. Next thing is to find out why it does work (at least the boot part) on the 600XL and not on the 130XE.

The 130XE has some cartridge/MMU related mods (ROM Simulator http://www.b-pahl.de/atari8bit/Computer/computer.html and an extra secondary cart slot) but I don't see how this would affect the SIC when the mod is disabled. Already removed the 7400 IC from the simulator to really disable it with no result. Also tried some XE carts (Bug Hunt, Flight Simulator II, Tower Toppler, Load Runner) and however this doesn't say much, they all work without problems in all 3 possible ways (org. XE cart. slot, secondary switched slot and external slot on Black Box) where the SIC doesn't boot at all in any of them.

Now I have no idea where to start looking to get the SIC working on that XE.

take a look into altirra sources regarding handling cartridges Robert, then we'll talk about this ;)

OK, I got some time to look at the Altirra sources. And between the many third-part bank-switch methods, I saw only two types of XE carts. One according to Atari's specifications in various sizes. And one non-Atari extension (in various sizes) that also enables to turn the cart off. All the different sizes use the same bank-switch implementation although with of course a different "bank" mask depending on the size. The only difference between the Atari carts is the number of banks and start bank which is always the last one available. So I don't see any strange variation in XE carts that require special handling. Just repeating the banks of a 32/64 KB cart in the remaining banks of a 128KB cart should solve the size difference problems without hardware changes.

To be clear, I'm only interested in the Atari XE cart emulation to run the XE game cart dumps, not all those third-party carts.

Robert

For 2Mbit memory file using SDX444_siccart.atr

Run the files from the links:

http://sic.pigwa.net...test_29C020.atr

http://sic.pigwa.net...est_39SF040.atr

Fixed

Well, I think. The 130XE now seems to load SDX from both the 2Mbit and 4Mbit sic! The culprit seemed to be a connection to pin 8 of the MMU which is required for a "cold-reset" mod I did.

igcg2q.jpg

(from: http://www.b-pahl.de...uter.html#coldr)

I placed a 1K resistor between the connection from the MMU to the 74LS123 and this seems to work to get the sic! to boot. The "cold-reset" however acts different, like, sometimes it just does a warm-reset and I'll have to try 2 or 3 times to get a cold-start. Not too much of a problem since usually I have a Black Box connected which has a cold-start feature anyways but it's there in the case I don't have it connected.

Next thing is to try if it's actually possible to re-flash the sic!'s but I need a keyboard for that :-) Anyway, it looks promising.

edit: forgot IMG code

Edited by Fox-1 / mnx

@Fox-1

(And a bit offtopic) ... that is why I created a 100% compatible standard XL OS for, with hard-reset key combo (Shift + Reset = cold boot). No extra hardware in my atari installed... very good solution.

Is the Rom available for download ?