IGNORED

31 Homebrew Games Worth Playing

e1will

I wish that was just a 2600 list.

Were the controls of Pitfall really that bad? I never thought that.

Yeah, that was an odd comment... I never thought that either. The 2600 joystick was among the best controllers, IMO. Still, if they think the NES homebrew version controls better, it makes me curious to try it.

--Will

Atari 2600 homebrews Halo 2600, Duck Attack!, Super 3D Portals, Mega Man 2600 and Evil Magician's Return all get a mention.

--Will

That's cool! Although, the author left out some great titles like Medieval Mayhem, Cave In!, Haunted House Trilogy, etc. It looks like he may have limited his choices to downloadable games...

I wish that was just a 2600 list.

Were the controls of Pitfall really that bad? I never thought that.

Yeah, that was an odd comment... I never thought that either. The 2600 joystick was among the best controllers, IMO. Still, if they think the NES homebrew version controls better, it makes me curious to try it.

--Will

I tried it. It makes the comment even stranger since it controls like the 2600 version. It's also incomplete and missing sound. The comment about the Jaguar was odd too (Tempest 2000 is good stuff).

The list is interesting, but has tech demos and incomplete games, and leaves off some of the better homebrews. It's nice seeing games like Duck Attack get some props, though.

the author left out some great titles like Medieval Mayhem, Cave In!, Haunted House Trilogy, etc. It looks like he may have limited his choices to downloadable games...

Doesn't explain why those were left out since they are all downloadable (aside from the third game in Haunted Adventure Trilogy), though Medieval Mayhem is somewhat less emulator friendly. Haunted House Trilogy's games are hacks, as well. He definitely left out a lot of great titles.

Edited by BrianC

The list is interesting, but has tech demos and incomplete games, and leaves off some of the better homebrews. It's nice seeing games like Duck Attack get some props, though.

Yeah, it's always cool seeing a Duck Attack mention! I just stumbled across that looking for something else, interestingly enough.

Of course, any list that's limited to five Atari 2600 homebrews is guaranteed to miss out on a lot of great ones (Lady Bug, Juno First, Medieval Mayhem... Oystron's my current addiction.) I've been toying with the idea of writing a "2600 homebrew of the week" column someplace. Could keep that going for years just on what's already out there.

--Will