IGNORED

How do you store your Atari cartridges?

atarigal

I just have mine in a plastic bin right now but I'm wondering if there are any better ideas out there. We live in a very small house without room for many standing storage solutions (large bookshelves, etc are out of the question) so the more creative and space saving the better. I was thinking of a very narrow shelf attached to the wall to hold the carts so we could see them easier and don't have to drag the bin in and out from under the couch every time we want to play.

I got these plastic stackable storage bins at The Container Store. They were $7.99 or $8.99 each. They look small, but they hold a lot. They each hold 34 cartridges. The Imagic ones fit as well, but the M-Network carts are too high, so they have to be on their sides as do the double-ended carts. They also fit a lot of accessories, like two joysticks, paddles, keypad, Omega Race controller, power supply in one drawer. The only pain is that the carts way in the back are hard to get to. I have to take out a few carts in the front so the ones in the back slide down.

post-2105-0-52355400-1304291189_thumb.jpg

post-2105-0-89592800-1304291239_thumb.jpg

post-2105-0-78445600-1304291216_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Atarigal, i've been using some antique dressers i have in my climate controlled finished basement to store some games.My house is very small too, other than that i just store my games on top of another on whatever shelf i have handy.A lot of my games are in cardboard boxes.I haven't bagged any of them, i should though.If you do bag your games, make SURE you put a little desiccant packet in each bag you put your game(s)in to get rid of any humidity that may accumulate inside. :)

Edited by Rik

If you do bag your games, make SURE you put a little desiccant packet in each bag you put your game(s)in to get rid of any humidity that may accumulate inside. :)

Thanks for the tip, I may do that with some doubles that don't get used. :)

Edited by atarigal

I got these plastic stackable storage bins at The Container Store. They were $7.99 or $8.99 each. They look small, but they hold a lot. They each hold 34 cartridges. The Imagic ones fit as well, but the M-Network carts are too high, so they have to be on their sides as do the double-ended carts. They also fit a lot of accessories, like two joysticks, paddles, keypad, Omega Race controller, power supply in one drawer. The only pain is that the carts way in the back are hard to get to. I have to take out a few carts in the front so the ones in the back slide down.

Those look like the perfect size for Atari carts! Hmm. Thanks for the tip. :)

Depending on what you like, best bet would be a shelf. Those plastic bins are cool, but they look really tacky and trashy. I have mine in a huge Chinese cabinet that was converted into a TV unit thing. They fit in rows of two in the bottom drawers. I eventually what shelves, however.

Up until three years ago, all of my Atari 2600 cartridges were stored in cardboard shoe boxes. Even though they sat in a non-climate controlled storage unit for about 5 years, then in my dad's attic for another 10 years, they're all in great shape (except for most the Activision carts). Now they live in plastic storage totes that hold about 40 at a time. I only have 6 boxed carts at the moment, so they're currently co-habitating with the loose ones until I add to my collection.

Edited by 20ohm20
  • Like 1

I have space limitations myself. I'm storing all my carts under my bed. I have a king size. I put the legs on stands that raise the bed up. It made the bed too high so I removed the box springs and put plywood in their place. It makes the bed just as high but with more space underneath. If I put on a bed skirt you wouldn't even notice the box springs are missing and that there is so much room under there. I can fit 12 under the bed totes(6 fit on one side in 3 stacks of 2). I'm guessing that is around 1500 carts worth of space.

I have space limitations myself. I'm storing all my carts under my bed. I have a king size. I put the legs on stands that raise the bed up. It made the bed too high so I removed the box springs and put plywood in their place. It makes the bed just as high but with more space underneath. If I put on a bed skirt you wouldn't even notice the box springs are missing and that there is so much room under there. I can fit 12 under the bed totes(6 fit on one side in 3 stacks of 2). I'm guessing that is around 1500 carts worth of space.

Raising the bed (my "couch" is really my bed!) is actually not a bad idea. Hmmm.

Raising the bed (my "couch" is really my bed!) is actually not a bad idea. Hmmm.

It works perfectly. You can just pull any tote out easily and grab what you're looking for. I can't remember what the stands are called but they are made for beds and you can find them at Walmart.

I got these plastic stackable storage bins at The Container Store. <snip> They each hold 34 cartridges. The Imagic ones fit as well, but the M-Network carts are too high <snip> The only pain is that the carts way in the back are hard to get to. I have to take out a few carts in the front so the ones in the back slide down.

I use the same bins! I have them stacked up on shelves in my study's office - blue for the 2600, purple for 7800 and orange for Vic 20. They hold 36 carts if you put them sideways. To get to carts in the back row I just pull the drawer out until it stops, then gently press on the drawer's side (near Sky Diver or Solar Fox in the photo) and pull the drawer out a little more.

I use 2 bins for the odd-sized carts, one holding strictly M-Network, the other holding CommaVid, Konami, Xonox, etc. cartridges.

The drawers are also available in a larger size, the grey ones in my photos. I have 4 of those and use them to hold power cables, data cables, etc.

post-3056-0-83190200-1304348840_thumb.jpg post-3056-0-85155500-1304365325_thumb.jpg

Those plastic bins are cool, but they look really tacky and trashy.

Tacky & trashy? Hardly, especially compared to the ratty old cardboard boxes they used to be in.

Edited by SpiceWare
  • Like 1

I use the same bins! I have them stacked up on shelves in my study's office - blue for the 2600, purple for 7800 and orange for Vic 20.

Cool! I color code mine, too--by company. White=Accessories, Black=Atari, Green=Activision, Orange=Apollo, CBS, Coleco, etc. I might re-arrange them sideways, if I can get two more in per drawer and have an easier time getting to the back ones.

i'm working on stacking all my carts on my bookshelf....i'm rearranging my room now ,so kinda deciding where to put them.i've already put several of my systems on one shelf. used to have them just stacked next to my tv in a shoebox cos that's how i've always done it since the 80's. trying to make some more space in my room tho.

when i have the time i'll take a picture of my bedroom/game room/ toy museum lol. ;)