IGNORED

Announcing new 2600 controller USB adaptor

dualcam

Was bummed at the lack of availability of Stelladaptors... so, as a geek with PIC experience, I made up one of my own. :)

http://home.comcast.net/~tjhafner/2600-daptor.jpg

Functionally similar to the Stelladaptor - joystick, driving and paddle supported with auto-detect of the controller plugged in. I have spent extra time on the paddles support to get the response to be the same as a real 2600. It is USB 2.0, runs at full speed (12 Mbit/s) and transmits every millisecond (1000 times/second) to minimize delay. Enumerates as a USB HID 2-analog axis, 6 button joystick so no driver needed. There is a terminal block inside for connecting extra buttons.

Figured others might like one, so am making up a batch of 100. Should be ready end of May. Price to be on par with the Stelladaptor. If those run out, I will make more batches. I'll post here when I have a site setup.

There is a corresponding Stella release in the works.

Tom

• Like 6

Was bummed at the lack of availability of Stelladaptors... so, as a geek with PIC experience, I made up one of my own. :)

http://home.comcast.net/~tjhafner/2600-daptor.jpg

There is a corresponding Stella release in the works.

Work is progressing nicely wrt Stella support; it really does seem to be an improvement over the original Stelladaptor. Also look for improved mouse paddle handling in the next release ...

Web site is under development at 2600-daptor.com. The Google checkout is setup and ready to go if you want to pre-order. You will NOT be billed until your order is actually ready.

Electrical components arrived last Fri. PC boards due in tomorrow. Enclosures and labels expected mid to late next week. So far on track for end of May availability.

Tom

I think retrousb is joystick only. The 2600-daptor also does driving and paddle. There are certainly cheaper options if you are only interested in joystick.

When I started to this, I was hoping to be able to offer them at a price lower, but that is hard to do when only making a small batch of 100. If I had 10,000 made in China (though that is still a small quantity to factories that do runs of millions) then, yeah, I could set a lower price. But that has it's own headaches and I can't see selling 10,000.

I am trying to help bridge the gap some by including the USB cable and offering quantity discount.

Just saying...

Tom

• Like 2

Stella 3.4 has been released, which includes proper support for 2600-daptor device. There's a release thread in the Emulation forums. If you experience any problems with Stella when using this device, please direct all bug reports there.

I think retrousb is joystick only. The 2600-daptor also does driving and paddle. There are certainly cheaper options if you are only interested in joystick.

When I started to this, I was hoping to be able to offer them at a price lower, but that is hard to do when only making a small batch of 100. If I had 10,000 made in China (though that is still a small quantity to factories that do runs of millions) then, yeah, I could set a lower price. But that has it's own headaches and I can't see selling 10,000.

I am trying to help bridge the gap some by including the USB cable and offering quantity discount.

Just saying...

Tom

I love the look of the packaging. I think the price is very reasonable considering the features and the integration with Stella 3.4.

Will this device work with the various Atari Computer emulators as well? The 400/800/XL/XE 8-bit line and the ST 16-bit line. These systems use the same joystick, and the 8-bit computer used the same paddle. The 16-bit computers did not support a paddle (I believe).

This looks great!!!

If the emulator supports USB joysticks for joystick emulation, then this would allow you to use the 2600 joystick. If it support USB joysticks for paddle emulation, then this should also let you use the 2600 paddles. Basically, to the PC O/S, this is a USB joystick.

I am not familiar with the Atari 8-bit computers/emulators. Grew up with an Apple II+. If you post which you use, I can see if I can try it.

Edited by dualcam

Packages going to the post office tomorrow. Attempt to charge CC was rejected on some orders, in which case you should be getting an email from Google with, I presume, instructions on what to do next. Otherwise you will be getting a shipment notification in your mailbox.

Tom

Received mine today, and after wasting (or spending) two hours playing Kaboom!, I can say that the paddle support is excellent (Unfortunately my hand-eye coordination needs some work). I am not sure that I can tell the difference between playing on Stella/2600-daptor and playing on my Coleco Gemini; I can tell the difference between the 2600-daptor and the Stelladaptor, so great job.

I'll have to pick up a couple of more for my brother and then I can challenge him to a grudge match, after 30 years, for Kaboom! dominance.

Thanks, all feedback (hopefully all positive) appreciated.

Thanks go to Steve for Stella support of the 2600-daptor and making improvements in the paddle routines. Apologies that a few things got broke in the Stella input handling during Steve's quest to help on this, but hopefully those will get corrected in the next point release.

Tom