IGNORED

Atari SC1224 monitor

Does the Atari SC1224 monitor need a cable or is the cable for the ST hardwired to the monitor?

Also, will a US SC1224 be able to display the 50Hz pal games from my US STf?

I'm asking this because now my setup is a STf scart to XRGB2+ (VGA converter/upscaler)and it works great but not for 50Hz games like Ghouls and Ghosts. The picture goes away but I can hear the game running through the audio.

Thanks!

All the SC1224's I've ever had are hard-wired. The power cord does

come separate though.

I'm in the US, and I've never had a 50hz game not seen because of the

SC1224. I would think it should work the same way "over there".

I'd guess its something to do with the chain that you're using to get

to the monitor?

There are three different models of the SC1224. Two have built-in cables, one model has a detachable cable. I believe the only difference between US and European version is the power input. The screen size can be adjusted.

Mitch

The JVC model of the SC1224 has a detachable cable.

post-16281-127105815894_thumb.jpg

Although this monitor is called "Version 2" (even on the back of the monitor) it is the earliest version. The cable is detachable. The monitor cable is, in effect, a "double-ender" male-male. It's unfortunate that it's frequently-separated, because of this fact.

The other 2 SC1224 are the Goldstar, and the Samsung.

In my opinon, the first ("version 2") JVC Japan-made (with detachable cable) SC1224 is the highest-quality, the most physically-appealing, and I do believe that this unit will show PAL games on an NTSC system. I **think** that I have seen this before. I have certainly heard this before. Just take this into consideration; I need to confirm (or re-confirm) this.

It is the best-quality monitor Atari ever sold, though.

• Like 1

All the SC1224's I've ever had are hard-wired. The power cord does

come separate though.

I'm in the US, and I've never had a 50hz game not seen because of the

SC1224. I would think it should work the same way "over there".

I'd guess its something to do with the chain that you're using to get

to the monitor?

Thanks all for the replies. Where would be a good place to buy a SC1224 monitor? I really hate getting CRTs in the mail. :)

I've had a few show up with cracked cases....

@Darklord, The XRGB 2+ just doesn't know what to do with the PAL signal I guess. I have some PAL dvds I play all the time and they work just fine on the same screens I am trying to use the ST on....

I'll just have to get a SC1224 eventually. OR a STfm. I could just switch to the composite for the PAL software.

Probably get both cause thats the fun of this hobby :)

Well I was wrong. Looks like none of my screens do PAL. I'm a bit confused by it because I have downloaded and use PAL DVDs and they play fine, but I guess it has more to do with the player than the TV....

Anyway, I have a device by Aver called an iMicro. It can convert VGA to composite or Svideo. Also VGA pass-through.

If I run the VGA from the XRGB 2+ in to the iMicro and composite to the TV I can see and play the PAL 50Hz games just fine.

Looks good too, its nice device. So even though its a whacky chain of devices I am able to do everything I need to.

I can set it up to use the VGA pass through but when I need 50Hz support switch to the composite input when I need to.

I'm still going to get a SC1224 and / or a STfm. :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

Version One (Made by Hitachi) is the version with the Knobs on the side and the Video Cord is Permenantly attached.

Version Two (Made by JVC) is the one with the detachable cord and the Knobs are below the screen on the front of the monitor.

The Hitachi version is actually a better monitor. They seem to last longer and they are easier to fix.

Both Function just Fine with 50Hz/Pal modes from the ST.

Version One (Made by Hitachi) is the version with the Knobs on the side and the Video Cord is Permenantly attached.

I was under the impression that the 3 versions of the JVC monitor were made by (1) JVC, (2) Goldstar, and (3) Samsung. Perhaps they used some components manufactured by Hitachi?

Version Two (Made by JVC) is the one with the detachable cord and the Knobs are below the screen on the front of the monitor.

The Hitachi version is actually a better monitor. They seem to last longer and they are easier to fix.

Both Function just Fine with 50Hz/Pal modes from the ST.

I'm very impressed with the JVC offering. It's all subject to my experience (which may not be representative) and my opinion (which may not be informed) but I think it's the best of the SC1224 series. I think the picture is a little sharper and has a little less distortion in the corners than the Goldstars I've seen. I've never used the Samsung (the last) but it's a big, ugly thing. I like the looks of the JVC best, but that's probably only because it's "the original" ST color monitor that wowed me back in 1985. You know more about fixing than I, but the last 4 JVCs I ran across all work perfectly.

At the BEST Electronics site.....

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/monitors.htm

.....the Golstars sell for $99 and the JVC for $175 so he must think they're better, or something.

I was under the impression that the 3 versions of the JVC monitor were made by (1) JVC, (2) Goldstar, and (3) Samsung. Perhaps they used some components manufactured by Hitachi?

I think Hitachi made the tube, sounds like he is describing the Goldstar model.

Mitch

• 2 months later...

Today I got 2 SC1224 monitors from Ebay. Both are in good shape and have nice pictures. I had to open them both and increase the screen brightness on the flyback just a bit. I guess that can be expected from a couple monitors from 1986 to 1988. :)

They work great going from NTSC to PAL modes and you can barely tell when it happens. Perfect. :thumbsup:

Here is one working:

onst2.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Today I got 2 SC1224 monitors from Ebay. Both are in good shape and have nice pictures. I had to open them both and increase the screen brightness on the flyback just a bit. I guess that can be expected from a couple monitors from 1986 to 1988. :)

They work great going from NTSC to PAL modes and you can barely tell when it happens. Perfect. :thumbsup:

Here is one working:

onst2.th.jpg

Were the monitor screens originally dark and dim even with the brightness control up all the way? Mine works but is very dim (green with aqua blue color border instead of white)

Were the monitor screens originally dark and dim even with the brightness control up all the way? Mine works but is very dim (green with aqua blue color border instead of white)

I don't know. It happened that I got these two monitors from ebay, both auctions were from IL, and they arrived the same day even though the auctions didn't end the same day. :-)

They work great except I noticed the pictures of both were very dark. Funny thing is they were both the same as if they were set dark from the factory.

What I did was start up the game Starball. The playing field has a ring on bonus lights just above the bottom most flippers. The way the monitors were you could not even see them. Now, I know they "light up" as you get bonus scores, but I'm talking the playing field was just way to dark to make out all the cool background graphics.

So, I took the back case off both the monitors , set contrast all the way up, brightness in the center of the wheel, and then adjusted the SCREEN knob on the fly-back transformer till the screen looked the right brightness. I put the user controlled knob in the middle so that I could go brighter or darker if I want when I'm using them.

If your getting a light blue instead of white it sounds like maybe the red(?), well one of the colors, is not as strong as the other two. (green and blue?)

I saw that when i was playing with the ST and a SCART cable to a VGA upscale device. Long story short I made the cable custom and for some reason left a resistor on the red wire and removed it from the green and blue. So the red signal was weaker making the whites a light blue color.

• 3 months later...

I recently got SC1224, the Samsung version. It's in a very good shape, but yeah, it produces a little bit of a distortion in the corners. I also thought that the Samsung version was quite ugly, but I looked at the picture for a few days, and it grew on me, so I bought it. Now I think I am hooked, and will be looking to get the JVC and GoldStar versions of the SC1224 as well :)

Here is one working:

onst2.th.jpg

Is that swivel pedestal part of the original monitor, or a generic add-on?

EDIT: and I now note the word "Tandy" on the front. :)

Edited by flashjazzcat

Here is one working:

onst2.th.jpg

Is that swivel pedestal part of the original monitor, or a generic add-on?

EDIT: and I now note the word "Tandy" on the front. :)

:) I have a base that is round I took from an old VGA monitor that I use with that screen now. On my mega ste. It looks really good (I think).

Maybe later I can post a pic of it.

That would be cool. I didn't consider using one from a VGA monitor. I'm looking for a swivel base for my CM8833-II.

Almost forgot... I removed the base from an old VGA monitor, filed off the tabs that held it in place. Then I took a "squishy" mat, like used for a place setting in the kitchen you can get at a dollar store, cut it to be slightly bigger than the base, and placed the monitor on it. The mat lets the monitor sink on to the base and holds it very well. As you can see , I never bothered trimming the little bit in from and only the camera flash makes it stand out.

officialmste.th.jpg

• 2 years later...

The JVC model of the SC1224 has a detachable cable.

post-16281-127105815894_thumb.jpg

Although this monitor is called "Version 2" (even on the back of the monitor) it is the earliest version. The cable is detachable. The monitor cable is, in effect, a "double-ender" male-male. It's unfortunate that it's frequently-separated, because of this fact.

The other 2 SC1224 are the Goldstar, and the Samsung.

In my opinon, the first ("version 2") JVC Japan-made (with detachable cable) SC1224 is the highest-quality, the most physically-appealing, and I do believe that this unit will show PAL games on an NTSC system. I **think** that I have seen this before. I have certainly heard this before. Just take this into consideration; I need to confirm (or re-confirm) this.

It is the best-quality monitor Atari ever sold, though.

Better quality than the SC1435?

• 2 weeks later...

There is no PAL / NTSC distinction with ST software, only 50/60Hz. PAL and NTSC are just encoded in the modulator, the ST only knows the refresh rate. Many hacked games allow you to toggle 50/60 Hz before playing them.

By the way there's at least one LCD monitor that supports ST low res, in 50 and 60 Hz: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/230561-lcd-monitor-that-supports-st-low-res-nec-multisync-lcd-1970vx/