IGNORED

Virtual Adam v1.03 Boot Problem

Bartsfam

Hello All;

I just installed this, and it does start, but when I try to "boot" a ROM, or an EOS bootable, when I hit boot I get the following error: "This program has encountered an error in the launch routine. Error #5." I tried googling this error, and searching, but have had no luck.

I am running Vista Home Premium SP2.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

Edited by Bartsfam

I'll forward your comment to Steve Pitman and see if he knows what's up with that error...

Hello All;

I just installed this, and it does start, but when I try to "boot" a ROM, or an EOS bootable, when I hit boot I get the following error: "This program has encountered an error in the launch routine. Error #5." I tried googling this error, and searching, but have had no luck.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

Hello All;

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

I would have to say that the problem is something that you have installed on your system and is causing the conflict/error and not with Virtaul ADAM... but I could be wrong. :roll:

Hello All;

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

I would have to say that the problem is something that you have installed on your system and is causing the conflict/error and not with Virtaul ADAM... but I could be wrong. :roll:

I tried it at work today on my XP machine, and everything was fine, (although I really shouldn't have put it on my work machine!)

I don't know what I could have installed on my Vista Home Premium machine to cause the conflict. What type of program would cause the conflict?

Edited by Bartsfam

Hello All;

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

I tried it at work today on my XP machine, and everything was fine, (although I really shouldn't have put it on my work machine!)

I don't know what I could have installed on my Vista Home Premium machine to cause the conflict. What type of program would cause the conflict?

I don't even think Bill Gates could give you a clear answer to that question. Good old Windows... at least it SEEMS to be getting better with Vista and now 7.

maybe you need Administrative permission. Try right clicking the shortcut and goto compatibility tab and choose "run as administrator"

Thank You!!! That was it!! Even though I am the administrator of my PC, I still had to right click and "run as administrator"..Go figure!!

All is well, Thanks again!

Here is what Steve Pitman, author of Virtual ADAM said...hope this helps...

With Vista and Windows 7 the "Program Files" folder (and some of the other system folders) are more restricted than in XP (I think this only happens if UAC is enabled but I'm not positive.) If Virtual Adam is installed inside one of these restricted folders it will have trouble writing back to files and will fail to launch programs. Microsoft's idea was for developers to only store read-only files there and store your read-write files in a separate location, like the user profile folders, or Application Data. I updated my other software to work this way but unfortunately Virtual Adam cannot be seperated that way, the files all have to remain in the same location because of the way I'm using Dosbox.

So... the solution for Virtual Adam is, if you are using Vista or Windows 7 then do not install Virtual Adam inside the Program Files folders, use a path like "C:\Virtual Adam" or C:\Games\Virtual Adam", etc... and you shouldn't have problems.

One other solution that works for some people... go to the Virtual Adam folder, right click on it and go to "Properties", go to the "Security" tab and set "Users" to have full read & write access. Don't change anything on your "Program Files" folder or other folders, only make the changes to your Virtual Adam folder.

Hello All;

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info....I should have remembered using a diffferent folder, other then the "Programs Folder". I have had the same issue at work on my WIN7 machine. But...the error codes are different. Bill Gates makes it sooo easy!! :roll:

+1 for you though...

• 4 years later...

I'm currently running Windows 7 64-bit on my PC, and therefore having similar issues as the original poster; thus, I would like help as to how to run V1.0.3 of Virtual Adam. What should I do to have the most error-free experience?

Thank you,

Ben Edge

Edited by ColecoFan1981

The easiest fix is probably doing what is said in message #10 above...don't install virtual ADAM in your program files folder...install it in something like C:\Virtual ADAM\

I'm currently running Windows 7 64-bit on my PC, and therefore having similar issues as the original poster; thus, I would like help as to how to run V1.0.3 of Virtual Adam. What should I do to have the most error-free experience?

Thank you,

Ben Edge