IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

zlsu4l.jpg

Saw an add for this Kangaroo arcade on Craigslist for $175. It needs a new fluorescent light, but regardless I couldn't pass it up. Nobody ever talks about how much of a pain in the ass it is to get these things home though. Still worth it.

Does anyone have any tips on cleaning the side of the cabinet? Mild soap and water isn't enough for some spots. :ponder:

NICE! Cabs always show up on my local craigslist but I'd have no way of getting them home... if I had the money. :D

Today I picked up a couple finds from Goodwill. I left behind a whole bunch of overpriced PSP games, overpriced Game gear games ($10 for Columns? Cart only too), passed by a dozen or so 5" B&W portable TV (including Sony Watchman with very green battery contacts) for $50, but one PS game, CIB and in very nice shape. Arc the Lad collection for $10.

Looks like it was adult owned and not played much. Omake collection was never used at all. The book still smells like it's brand new. This set in such condition could easily reach $75-$100 on eBay. Now I need to find my PSOne and car adapter and I can play this on when I go with my parents to New Mexico. My Mom has a portable DVD player built in her minivan and it has external jacks for anything.

My other find was my first ever Goodwill find Jaguar anything. Specifically a $5 Flashback for Jaguar. Box is sorta crummy but the manual and cart looks very good. Since I don't have Jaguar I don't know if it works. It's going to my sale pile if no one PMs me for this one.

Nice finds. Quick question, are gba games with backup battery original games or illegal releases?

Since i haven't seen a thread where replacing the backup battery is mentioned.

Of course they are real, how else would you save your progress in games like Pokemon? To be sure if you got a real or fake, you need to check the mainboard and the one pictured here without the label clearly has "Nintendo" stamped on it, so it's legit.

how else would you save your progress in games like Pokemon?

With flash memory. Or do you think that DS carts have little tiny batteries in them? For the most part, battery-powered save memory stopped being used kind of a long time ago. What I think he is asking is whether a GBA game with a battery in it is legit, or if a legit game should be using flash memory instead.

Chris

CIMG2537.jpg

GB Pokemon Yellow and GBA Pokemon Ruby (sans label)-$5 each at a Sunday swap meet.

Nice finds. Quick question, are gba games with backup battery original games or illegal releases?

Hard to say if the ruby is legit or not, they did come with a battery.

AX

CIMG2537.jpg

GB Pokemon Yellow and GBA Pokemon Ruby (sans label)-$5 each at a Sunday swap meet.

Hard to say if the ruby is legit or not, they did come with a battery.

AX

Well it does say Nintendo on the PCB which is supposed to be the best indicator if its real or not, along with the fact that the circuits look like they weren't assembled by hand like my less then legit copy of Links Awakening DX is. :P

8 bucks total at my local never-has-anything-game-related thrift store this afternoon.

Dark Side is the original release complete with poster and sticker sheet. The vinyl looks to be untouched by human hands. The discs inside the G.I. Joe s2 pt.1 DVD set are super clean as well. The Shakespeare insults book was printed in great Britain and sold at a gift shoppe in his birthplace. That was awesome enough to grab for a quarter. The Star Wars paperback was the only Goodwill find of the week! Ouch. I don't have a 32X anymore and can't see myself ever owning one of them ever again, so if anyone wants Virtua Racing on a trade just PM me.

post-25671-0-20619600-1316206464_thumb.jpg

post-25671-0-77968600-1316206475_thumb.jpg

post-25671-0-56531100-1316206491_thumb.jpg

post-25671-0-53122500-1316206499_thumb.jpg

post-25671-0-56943700-1316206505_thumb.jpg

Edited by GregadetH

I'd love to have a copy of Genesis Outrun, nice find :)

I remember those Star Wars paperbacks. They were a trilogy IIRC. Much better than the prequels but then again, soft monkey stool is better than the prequels.

I've got a ton of the star wars books, most are really great reads, that one in particular is fantastic if memory serves.

Heh, I just presumed the Pokemon Ruby label came off at some point...

07804bfb.jpg

Tekken 3, Einhander and Typing of the Dead were $5.99 each at Goodwill today. All in great shape. I traded in a bunch of stuff at an indie game shop a few days ago and picked up the Race for $5.

Great find on Einhander, IMO best side scrolling shooter ever... period, I always dream of coming across a cheap copy at thrift stores and swapmeets.

Edited by A_Locomotive

Wow, this is my biggest month for thrift finds in a while.

Sega Dreamcast controller, only bought for the VMU contained inside: $3

NES Commando, Golf, and Wizards 7 Warriors with sleeves: $3 each

Sega Saturn (round button model 2, no cords, but Interact Memory Card and Virtua Cop): $6

Sega Saturn controllers: $3 and $4 (the clerk commented on them being differently priced.)

Sega Saturn Stunner: $4

I did have to spend another $12 for the Saturn's video cable at the game store Level 7 that's near to the thrift I hit for all this, and another $2 to get the Virtua Cop resurfaced (it was all beaten up).

post-8107-0-13106600-1316223214_thumb.jpg

Wow, this is my biggest month for thrift finds in a while.

Sega Dreamcast controller, only bought for the VMU contained inside: $3

NES Commando, Golf, and Wizards 7 Warriors with sleeves: $3 each

Sega Saturn (round button model 2, no cords, but Interact Memory Card and Virtua Cop): $6

Sega Saturn controllers: $3 and $4 (the clerk commented on them being differently priced.)

Sega Saturn Stunner: $4

I did have to spend another $12 for the Saturn's video cable at the game store Level 7 that's near to the thrift I hit for all this, and another $2 to get the Virtua Cop resurfaced (it was all beaten up).

$7 I'd have mailed you a Virtua Cop and a Saturn video cable. Great deals but way high on the getting it all ready to go.

AX

I remember those Star Wars paperbacks. They were a trilogy IIRC. Much better than the prequels but then again, soft monkey stool is better than the prequels.

I've got a ton of the star wars books, most are really great reads, that one in particular is fantastic if memory serves.

This particular Outrun cart refuses to boot passed the Sega Of America screen. No matter what I try. And I tried for 2 hours. :(

I've always been interested in reading the official continuations of the original trilogy, I just never got around to it. I finally started to embrace my inner Staw Wars geek at the age of 33. So...look out for this cool guy over here!

This particular Outrun cart refuses to boot passed the Sega Of America screen. No matter what I try. And I tried for 2 hours. :(

I've always been interested in reading the official continuations of the original trilogy, I just never got around to it. I finally started to embrace my inner Staw Wars geek at the age of 33. So...look out for this cool guy over here!

If you like the book and end up wanting more PM me, I've got a good majority of the books, a lot of which will likely never be read again, I'd be willing to part with them for cheap. :)

Girlfriend wanted to go to a Michael's crafts store. Luckily, there's a Salvation Army next door.

81784043.jpg

There was a 30% off sale, so they ended up being $4.20 each. And if there's anyone near Torrance who would like a sealed 5200 Berzerk that's crushed on the bottom, that was there too. ;)

You get thrift finder of the year. For freaks sake, you get some goodies to drool over.

AX

Found some neat non-game items today.

2 boxes full of 80's computer parts for $50. Had about 7 hard drives in the 10 - 30 MB range, serial/parallel boards, memory boards, floppy drive, and a bunch of other stuff I have no clue what they are yet. Might be everything there to make 2 or three computers besides the power supplies and cases.

post-19797-0-08101700-1316296723_thumb.jpg

post-19797-0-20424500-1316296730_thumb.jpg

Also found this behemoth of a projector for only $30. The guy let me test it to see if the lamp worked and it fired up the first time. Good thing too since it costs about $200 for just a used lamp.

post-19797-0-93459000-1316296713_thumb.jpg

11mgd8l.jpg

Recent thrift finds:

Juicy Jays rolling paper sign (I know, awesome) - $2

Intec Gamecube 5" LCD - $5

Guitar Hero 360 Guitar - $5

Misc. Games - $2 per game

If anyone has a power splitter to the Gamecube LCD screen and would like to sell it please PM me.

Edited by Itchy Koala

Went back to the same Play-N-Trade that's selling Game Boy games for buy-1-get-1 free, and picked up Qix and Double Dragon for less than $3.00 total.

BTW the boxed Jaguar games there were Checkered Flag, Bubsy, and Missile Command 3-D. Assuming it's CIB, about how much should MC3D go for?

BTW the boxed Jaguar games there were Checkered Flag, Bubsy, and Missile Command 3-D. Assuming it's CIB, about how much should MC3D go for?

They had boxed Jaguar games at your play n trade? Did you pick them up? If so how much were they. Also don't know if its representaive of value(kind of doubt it is) but I picked up MC3D for $20 NIB at a swap meet.

They had boxed Jaguar games at your play n trade? Did you pick them up? If so how much were they. Also don't know if its representaive of value(kind of doubt it is) but I picked up MC3D for $20 NIB at a swap meet.

I didn't pick them up since I don't have a Jag! :D I'm not sure if they were properly priced -- I saw a tag for $12.99 on one of them, but it was handwritten. I'll check 'em out more carefully next time. There were only the three, and I don't know if they included manuals, but it was still a fun surprise.

I didn't pick them up since I don't have a Jag! :D I'm not sure if they were properly priced -- I saw a tag for $12.99 on one of them, but it was handwritten. I'll check 'em out more carefully next time. There were only the three, and I don't know if they included manuals, but it was still a fun surprise.

Shame I'm not in your city, I'd have been interesting in checking out that copy of Bubsy. :P

Inspired by you finding those Jag games at your play n trade I decided to go check out my cities store, I've never been there and wasn't even aware of it until I saw an add somewhere a few months ago. I came back with 2 games that I'm quite pleased with, they had no carts I was interested in but I did find the first Onimusha game for less then the price of a soda and had a huge surprise when I came across a factory sealed and mint black label copy of The Legend of Dragoon for only $9.99. Definitely not opening Dragoon even though I love the game since I can just play my brothers copy. :D

post-28757-0-07332100-1316478462_thumb.jpg

Edited by A_Locomotive