IGNORED

Altirra 1.9 released

phaeron

Jesus... just spent some time looking for a bug in my code, reading docs, examining code from top down and back endlessly just to realize, that my code is fine, but Altirra has some weird default setting :) (or at least I think it's default). The keyboard was set to "Send cooked key presses" and not "Send raw key strokes"... I hope no more surprises like this one in the future :)

I need to learn the debugger in Altirra - I too am used to Atari800Win. Nowhere near your level of coding either, but have to start somewhere.

Does that mean 'more rainbows' stephen

Just OOI Phaeron, where did you get the name 'Altirra' from

Google tells you 99% of the story behind it..

Also if you look at his 404 page its tells you more...

The hint is also in his real name....

Edited by Mclaneinc

All you assembler studs who use Altirra, answer me a small question, Phaerons busy at the mo.

Here's my question from his blog..

Avery, forgive if I am being wrong but apart from using the E to edit memory there does not seem to be a fill command.

I have to admit I'm not as familiar with the debugger as I should be which leads me to another quick question, how would I force Altirra to jump to a location (or jsr) say for sillyness E477. How would i do that as I see no direct jump command?

Thanks..

aha. sussed it.

in the disassembly window you right click on the address you want to run from and select 'set as next statement' then hit F8...

Now all I need to do is how to do an easy fill of bytes without doing them with e and adding a million ea's after it.

Google tells you 99% of the story behind it..

Also if you look at his 404 page its tells you more...

The hint is also in his real name....

Don't read too much into the name. For the most part it's just a name that I liked but doesn't have "Atari" in it.

Jesus... just spent some time looking for a bug in my code, reading docs, examining code from top down and back endlessly just to realize, that my code is fine, but Altirra has some weird default setting :) (or at least I think it's default). The keyboard was set to "Send cooked key presses" and not "Send raw key strokes"... I hope no more surprises like this one in the future :)

Sorry about that.

Altirra defaults to making it easier to type rather than emulating the raw keyboard, so the Atari does not see keys held down. This allows the native auto-repeat to work and also permits key buffering. The problem with defaults is that you can never choose any that satisfy everyone.

I'm moving toward putting more options into a centralized Options dialog, making it easier to browse through all of the config settings. Right now they're scattered over a lot of menus and dialogs.

Avery, forgive if I am being wrong but apart from using the E to edit memory there does not seem to be a fill command.

I have to admit I'm not as familiar with the debugger as I should be which leads me to another quick question, how would I force Altirra to jump to a location (or jsr) say for sillyness E477. How would i do that as I see no direct jump command?

You're correct that there is currently no fill command, although I could put it in pretty easily. I never needed it myself because I use an external assembler rather than developing on the Atari. A cheesy way to do it is to use (a)ssemble to write code to do the fill....

The Set Next Statement context menu option is one way to do a jump, but another way is the ®egister command:

r pc warmst

You can't easily do a JSR from the debugger right now. One thing that makes this tricky is that the debugger can stop in the middle of an instruction.

Hi Avery,

Was just making Carmel work for his info like I did when I asked you about the name a while back :)

A fill would be nice, nop's in bunches are boring :)

Thanks for the R pc command heads up, it would be great if someone did a newbie tutorial on the debugger and its features for half wits like me :)

• 2 weeks later...

I was hopeful that this would be a fix, but rtime8 is still not updating SDX 4.44.

Could you go into more detail, so this can be reproduced? Im running Altirra test 38, SDX 4.44 attached ROM, RTIME8 is checked,

Boot to cart, type TIME multiple times and it shows correct time as refreshed. Uncheck RTIME8, reboot, shows as not present.

This doesn't appear to be a regression: Altirra 1.9 has the same problem.

I think this may have been an intentional change in SDX if you are using the 8mbit (1MB) MaxFlash image. The SDX 4.42 driver returns bad data, and the 4.44 driver doesn't load at all, but 4.20 is able to get the correct date and time. I found this in the SDX 4.43 change list:

* RTIME8.SYS does not load when Maxflash8 hardware is used. This has
 been introduced to prevent hang-up caused by hardware conflict.

Try the 1mbit (128K) MaxFlash image -- it seems to work on all versions for me.

This autoexec.bat works okay.

SET ED=20
SET MAXDRV=I
SET DAYTIME=1
SET MANPATH=D:>MAN>
SET LWSDXDEV=1
SET LWPATH=C:TLW>
SET LWSYS=LW.SYS
SET PATH=CAR:;C:;C:SYS>;C:SDOS>
RTIME8.SYS
PCLINK.SYS
RETKEY
DATE

This autoexec.bat was not working with RTIME8.SYS after PCLINK.SYS.

SET ED=20
SET MAXDRV=I
SET DAYTIME=1
SET MANPATH=D:>MAN>
SET LWSDXDEV=1
SET LWPATH=C:TLW>
SET LWSYS=LW.SYS
SET PATH=CAR:;C:;C:SYS>;C:SDOS>
PCLINK.SYS
RTIME8.SYS
RETKEY
DATE

I am using SDX444_sdx128 with MYIDE.SYS modified config.sys

Thanks for assuring me that the 'ALTIRRA' Emulator was not at fault, but just my setup.

I had no idea that the positioning of commands in the config.sys or autoexec.bat could cause this.

After scrolling back and fourth in the debugger and after reading that there really is no "Fill" command I dare to ask:

Where is the "Search/Find" option in the debugger? I wanted to find a cheat for game - and I had to use Atari800Win...

@Jon: Excellent screen short for the source level debugging settings. This is exactly how the default parameters will look like in the future. Seems it was worth while introducing all the variables. Maybe I'l add some LBL/LST variables to make it more readable.

@Jon: Excellent screen short for the source level debugging settings. This is exactly how the default parameters will look like in the future. Seems it was worth while introducing all the variables. Maybe I'l add some LBL/LST variables to make it more readable.

Heh... at least I'm doing something right! :D

After scrolling back and fourth in the debugger and after reading that there really is no "Fill" command I dare to ask:

Where is the "Search/Find" option in the debugger? I wanted to find a cheat for game - and I had to use Atari800Win...

I just added it a few days ago in 2.00-test38:

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.00-test38.zip

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.00-test38-src.zip

The new debugger commands are (s)earch and (f)ill. I bumped step over from s to o to make room.

There's also been trainer support for a while -- Cheat > Cheater. It's a classic trainer that can search for value relations over time.