IGNORED

I just won a Colecovision!

Algus

No idea if I overpaid on this thing or not but here's the rundown, you guys can let me know.

$71.99 shipping included

Colecovision

Expansion Unit #1

all hookups

two keypad controllers

a joystick controller (for the 2600 module)

Looks like the included games are Battlezone and Galaxian on the 2600. I only have Galaxian so that's a score. Not sure on the Coleco games included. The seller reported the only bad thing was a sticky power button but that seems like something that could be easily fixed.

I'm going to have to wait until it gets here to make sure it works but I'm pretty new to the whole Coleco scene. What games should I be looking out for? Also, it is my understanding that the Coleco has a good homebrew community, right? Also, is there anything I should know about the expansion module? Like incompatibilities with 2600 games or some such?

No idea if I overpaid on this thing or not but here's the rundown, you guys can let me know.

$71.99 shipping included

Colecovision

Expansion Unit #1

all hookups

two keypad controllers

a joystick controller (for the 2600 module)

Looks like the included games are Battlezone and Galaxian on the 2600. I only have Galaxian so that's a score. Not sure on the Coleco games included. The seller reported the only bad thing was a sticky power button but that seems like something that could be easily fixed.

I'm going to have to wait until it gets here to make sure it works but I'm pretty new to the whole Coleco scene. What games should I be looking out for? Also, it is my understanding that the Coleco has a good homebrew community, right? Also, is there anything I should know about the expansion module? Like incompatibilities with 2600 games or some such?

First, that is a good deal if everything works fine, ... wich rarely occur, the power supply can always be replaced

If your controllers are messy, I suggested the refurbishing services from Yurkie, he is doing great job on refurbishing controllers and the console itself

Incompatibility with the Exp#1.... is the supercharger games...

I would say that $72 (which includes shipping) is a very fair to good price for what you have listed especially if everything is in working order... which I would be surprised if that is the case. Usually there will be some issues like the Power Button or Hand Controllers needing to be refurbished and returned to a proper working state. I'll keep me fingers crossed for you that everything will be in good working order.

I am fortunate to have a very good retro videogame store in my area (owned and run by none other than Sean Kelly), but even this did not guarentee recieving a good working system. The CV that I bought from him had a faulty sound chip and needed the Power Button refurbished so I returned it the same day I bought it. On the other hand, I have had extremely good luck with ColecoVision and ADAM Computer purhases that I have made on eBay and you can usually get some steals on there if you pay close attention and follow auctions closely.

BTW, the retro videogame store I mentions sells the items you listed for:

:arrow: CV, Power Supply, 2 Hand Controllers, RCA Cable with Coax Adapter and 2 carts for $60

:arrow: Exp. Mod. #1 for $15-$20 depending on if it is boxed.

:arrow: Loose Atari carts for a $1 on up depending on rarity

:arrow: Loose Coleco carts from $5 on up depending on rarity

and then add in sales tax. So $72 is very good.

If you have any issues with the system and accessories, do a search on this forum for "Yurkie". This will bring up a large number of threads that cover all the services and modifications that Yurkie provides for ColecoVision owners. Even if your system is working, you might want to seriously consider his Composite Video & Audio Mod as well as his Ball-Knob Mod for the Hand Controllers. His work is top notch.

The next purchase should be the AtariMax SD Cart (www.atarimax.com) which will allow you to copy all the ColecoVision rom images that are available on the Internet to an SD Card and play them on the ColecoVision as if you owned the real cartridge. Note that while a large number of Homebrew cartridges have been made available as rom images, there are still many others that you will have to buy the cartridge. The SD Cart will allow you to play all these games and see which ones you like enough to justify buying the original, unless you are like myself and others who are collectors and want to own all the real cartridges and accessories.

You should check out the AtariAge Store for some ColecoVision Homebrews as well as these links for more info. on the CV and other Homebrews:

http://www.colecovisionzone.com/

http://www.colecovision.dk/

http://www.gooddealgames.com/

http://www.atari2600.com/

http://www.colecovision.dk/collectorvision.htm

http://www.opcodegames.com/games.php

http://www.teampixelboy.com/index.htm

http://www.ccjvq.com/newcoleco/

http://www.colecovision.eu/ColecoVision/games/

Also, do yourself a favor and read through this CV & ADAM Forum, there is A LOT or tremendous information available going back years in all these old posts... even a bunch of posts which are very similar to yours.

Enjoy.

Edited by NIAD
  • Like 3

+1 for your awesome helpful reply NIAD! :)

I would say you got a great deal as long as the ColecoVision works. Figure at least $12 for shipping even if you live really close to the seller. That means you paid $40 for a complete ColecoVision System and $20 for the 2600 module and got the rest of the stuff for free. I too highly recommend buying the SD multi-cart, you can play all the games...plus you get roms of retroillucid's Mario Bros. and Mr. Chin included with the cartridge. The 2 free homebrew games are worth most the price of the cartridge.

If you want any mods/repairs for the system feel free to message me.

Hope you enjoy the system as much as most of us here on the sub-forum do.

• Like 1

If you have any issues with the system and accessories, do a search on this forum for "Yurkie". This will bring up a large number of threads that cover all the services and modifications that Yurkie provides for ColecoVision owners. Even if your system is working, you might want to seriously consider his Composite Video & Audio Mod as well as his Ball-Knob Mod for the Hand Controllers. His work is top notch.

I second that sentiment... Yurkie's work rocks! :D

Sweet, thanks for the big and helpful reply NIAD! The seller mentioned in the listing that the power button was a little sticky but the console worked otherwise and one of the included screenshots showed the system hooked up to a big LCD and running what I believe is Carnival, which looks to be the only included CV game.

I definitely want to get into collecting the cartridges at some point but if everything is gravy with the system, I will probably look into the SD Cart first. I was reading one of the threads you had up about your work Yurkie and it looks good. I've heard that the Coleco is not the most reliable unit and may be interested in some maintenance in the near future to make sure it stays working for me. You'll understand though that if it is working, I'm going to want some time with it to check it out :)

There's a few games I'm pretty interested in trying out that I will probably buy soonish, namely Galaxian (an old favorite), Gorf, and Zaxxon.

There's a few games I'm pretty interested in trying out that I will probably buy soonish, namely Galaxian (an old favorite), Gorf, and Zaxxon.

Galaxian for the ColecoVision is probably THE BEST PORT of the game for any game console, not including systems were the actual arcade game is run through an emulator. You will not be disappointed. The other two games, Gorf and Zaxxon, have their issues and a lot of people that don't like them but I think they are definetly worth getting... especially since you should be able to find them fairly cheap, even Complete In Box.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys!

Well I just got my colecovision out of the box and looked it over. Unfortunately the only actual Coleco game I have to test it with is Carnival. The machine itself looks to be in good repair (though it is quite dirty). One of the controllers seems to operate fluently although the second controller seems to have a stick that works only when it feels like it. I can't really tell if the controller is bad or if the controls in Circus are just ass. I've never played the game before, so I just don't know.

I haven't tried out the second controller port yet and I suppose I'll need to get a manual for Circus to look through it and see how everything works in the game.

I did notice that when the machine is first turned on I get a super distorted image. This is the infamous BIOS screen I've heard about, right? Once the game loads, the visual clarity is only just "ok". I tried to use the RF Switchbox that came with the machine (I believe it is an old generic as it has Radioshack's logo on it) but I couldn't get a picture at all so I tried plugging the RCA cable directly into my RCA Female/Coax adapter that I use for my 2600. The cable I got is actually a white one. I always thought the white RCA cable was an audio cable. Does it actually matter with a system this old?

I haven't put the Expansion Module through its paces yet either, though I'll get to that when I have more time (busy week this week!)

I did notice that when the machine is first turned on I get a super distorted image. This is the infamous BIOS screen I've heard about, right? Once the game loads, the visual clarity is only just "ok". I tried to use the RF Switchbox that came with the machine (I believe it is an old generic as it has Radioshack's logo on it) but I couldn't get a picture at all so I tried plugging the RCA cable directly into my RCA Female/Coax adapter that I use for my 2600. The cable I got is actually a white one. I always thought the white RCA cable was an audio cable. Does it actually matter with a system this old?

Using a RF to Coax adapter will give you a lot nicer picture than a switch box. These are sold in the AtariAge store(only $3), and I would highly recommend them for anyone that prefers to use RF over a video mod.

http://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=42

Any single leg of a audio cable, Composite cable or a Component video cable that has RCA type plugs on both ends can be used to connect the console to the TV via RF, if the original cable is lost or damaged.

• Like 1

No big surprise re. the small issues you are experiencing. As Yurkie mention, get yourself an RCA-to-Coax Adapter either online here, Radio Shack or other store that carries electronics... best thing in the world to do is to eliminate that old RF Switchbox if you are not going to MOD the system for Composite Video output.

The controls can easily be taken apart and cleaned with Alcohol, although DeOxit (sold at Radio Shack) is a lot better option as well as lightly sanding the contacts. The best option is to have the controllers cleaned and modded with Ball-Knobs by Yurkie... he is the Rembrandt of the ColecoVision repair and modding scene.

As far as Carnival, it is a very simple game and a very good arcade translation. Here is a PDF of the manual.

Carnival.pdf

• 2 weeks later...