IGNORED

VisualbB running in Linux

batari

Finally, it looks like Mono supports VisualbB. To run VbB, type "mono VisualbB.exe" and it should run. It isn't perfect (it tries to access a non-existent Windows registry) but so far most things seem to work.

My distro already had mono, but to get vbB working, I had to install mono-vbnc, which are Visual Basic libraries. Other distros might need the full mono package installed.

It does not work in Mono for OS X, unfortunately, and it appears to be because of the internal browser in the start page, which is not supported in OS X. There is currently no way to fix this unless Jeff is willing to build a version without the internal browser.

post-5792-0-88141900-1306570676_thumb.png

• Like 3

That's pretty cool. It is the existence of the browser control or when it tries to actually load a page? Disabling is easy, removing it requires a little more work unless I permanently remove it. Anything else break? I would guess the music editor wouldn't work too well.

-Jeff

That's pretty cool. It is the existence of the browser control or when it tries to actually load a page? Disabling is easy, removing it requires a little more work unless I permanently remove it. Anything else break? I would guess the music editor wouldn't work too well.

-Jeff

It's the mere existence of the browser that causes it to fail.

It fails to start with a message like this:

libgluezilla not found. To have webbrowser support, you need libgluezilla installed

Unhandled Exception: System.InvalidOperationException: WinForms_SeeInnerException ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
 at System.Windows.Forms.WebBrowser.Navigate (System.Uri url) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

and so on. The "libgluezilla" library is for internal browser support and there is no libgluezilla port for OSX right now (and it's not clear if there will be anytime soon.) I'd guess that the references to the browser would need to be removed for it to work.

That actually seems like it just fails when it attempts to call the navigate method. I'll try commenting that out and sending you a private binary later. You'll probably have to grab the latest WIP with all the latest libs off my blog to test it though.

-Jeff

First see if you have Mono by typing "mono" at the command line. If not, download and install mono from your Linux repository or from here: http://www.go-mono.com/mono-downloads/download.html

Once installed, download Visual bB, switch to the folder with the Visual bB files, and type "mono VisualbB.exe"

In my case (Ubuntu 10.04) it already had Mono but not all of the runtime libraries so I just needed to install mono-vbnc.

i get this error message

[esplonky@Esplonky visualbb]$ mono VisualbB.exe

** (VisualbB.exe:17774): WARNING **: The following assembly referenced from /home/esplonky/Desktop/visualbb/VisualbB.exe could not be loaded:
    Assembly:   Microsoft.VisualBasic    (assemblyref_index=1)
    Version:    8.0.0.0
    Public Key: b03f5f7f11d50a3a
The assembly was not found in the Global Assembly Cache, a path listed in the MONO_PATH environment variable, or in the location of the executing assembly (/home/esplonky/Desktop/visualbb/).

** (VisualbB.exe:17774): WARNING **: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.VisualBasic, Version=8.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies.
The entry point method could not be loaded

now it's asking for libgluezilla. there is no rpm for fedora 14 on RPMfind

Can't find one either. For me, libgluezilla was included in mono-vbnc so maybe a different build of that package would work. If not, you'll probably have to wait for Jeff to build a version without browser support (which should also make it work in OS X.)

Mono is one of the many linux controversies, along with KDE vs Gnome, rpm vs. deb, old desktops vs. new desktops, etc.

Fedora and Gnusense do not support Mono, while Ubuntu and Debian do. So you probably will have to install mono from source yourself if you want it on Fedora. I don't think you'll find it in the repositories.