IGNORED

UCG - new cases for old games

ozma wars

hi there

as collector I am really tired to collect games whose boxes always have some defect due to age, sun, postage or else...

would like to fit them all, with new covers, in new VHS holders but this not the best solution and now also VHS cases no more easy to find.

I see this :

http://www.mediashelving.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=W&Product_Code=USCG

have any idea if they also fit Atari 2600-7800-Colecovision carts ?

thanks for reply and sorry if same argument already discussed in the past.

Any suggest welcome. Thanks.

Max

hi there

as collector I am really tired to collect games whose boxes always have some defect due to age, sun, postage or else...

would like to fit them all, with new covers, in new VHS holders but this not the best solution and now also VHS cases no more easy to find.

I see this :

http://www.mediashelving.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=W&Product_Code=USCG

Max

You should change the topic spelling it is UGC not UCG.

Something that I am curious about is whether or not there is much interest in generic cases for cart storage and if so, what about an artwork insert?

As mentioned in another thread there is a database for storing and downloading these artwork box inserts. However all or most are CBS and not the US releases. Would the members of the ColecoVision community be interested in scanning, resizing and cleaning up the scans so they look nice and building a collection to use with UGCs?

I think the lack of inserts greatly reduces interest... on the other hand if a complete or near complete set of artwork inserts was available, or at least being worked on, the interest might be a lot higher.

I am not sure if I am all that interested in what is basically a fake case, with fake artwork....however having between 55 and 60 of the original US ColecoVision releases it might be cool to use UGCs with art inserts as fillers until I acquire the real CIB. Also since Turbo, Baseball and Slither don't have boxes a UGC with an art insert would be nice for rounding out a CIB collection.

Anybody care to comment and/or interested in working together on an artwork insert collection?

hi there

I see this :

Max

Something that I am curious about is whether or not there is much interest in generic cases for cart storage and if so, what about an artwork insert?

As mentioned in another thread there is a database for storing and downloading these artwork box inserts. However all or most are CBS and not the US releases. Would the members of the ColecoVision community be interested in scanning, resizing and cleaning up the scans so they look nice and building a collection to use with UGCs?

I think the lack of inserts greatly reduces interest... on the other hand if a complete or near complete set of artwork inserts was available, or at least being worked on, the interest might be a lot higher.

I am not sure if I am all that interested in what is basically a fake case, with fake artwork....however having between 55 and 60 of the original US ColecoVision releases it might be cool to use UGCs with art inserts as fillers until I acquire the real CIB. Also since Turbo, Baseball and Slither don't have boxes a UGC with an art insert would be nice for rounding out a CIB collection.

Anybody care to comment and/or interested in working together on an artwork insert collection?

They work great for 2600, 7800, INTV, and Sega Carts. I don't know about 5200 Carts. To house NES carts you need to trim off a tab in the UGC. And needless to say CV carts. ;>

I have a good collection of original US Boxes, and a good chunk of loose. I plan on using existing online art, and creating new for my missing boxes. High Res Scans of Original Boxes would be great. When done properly, the UGC boxes read like classic plastic Sega Genesis Boxes.

I was playing with my 2010 box to get it to scan, but to do it properly I'll have to cut the glue on the bottom, so the box can be flattened for best scanning. I'm torn on this. My boxes all have torn tops, but cutting the bottoms will pretty much zero any value in them.

This thought process started with me to do something for my loose original carts, like DK, Turbo and SAC Baseball. I have lost my Imagic boxes (NUTS!) for Moonsweeper and Nova Blast. As listed in my other thread, I've been buying loose CV carts and this is the logical (for me) progression for storing and display. My plan was to do it for my Sega 32X boxes as well, because the Sega Cardboard boxes never were very good (IMHO).

Would love scans of:

Star Trek

Tutankham

Gateway to Apshai

all the Atarisoft Titles

all the Imagic Titles

Gorf

Frogger

and Spy Hunter (I'll get a SPy Hunter eventually.... eventually... LOL)

Edited by LynxVGL

In case nobody knew, collectorvision does have a Turbo box that he made. He made a Spectar box too but I do not know how many of you have that game.

I bought both boxes, however I have not received them yet to comment on them but all his other boxes have been great so I am sure these are as well.

It does cost a lot though if you are going to compare getting a cheap UGC and putting a cutout of a scan on it. He said he was going to eventually do a Slither as well but that one was not done yet.

As for the UGCs if someone made them with the cutout scans and they looked cool then I am sure I would buy them but if they didn't look cool then I would just leave my carts in my cart holders that I bought in the 80's.

It would definitely be cool to take some of the hideous Telegames claim shells off and use a UGC with a cool insert. Skiing and Bumpman would be nice to have boxes for as well since they are so valuable it would be nice if they had a neat home to reside in. :)

Otherwise I have almost a complete set of CIB so the other games I have already have a home :cool:

I am scanning my boxes (mainly CBS versions, but also "US") and put them on my site : www.colecoboxart.com

It's a long process. Anyway, if there is interest in UCG, I could make an adapted layout.

As for Slither, I made a layout for Collectorvision which is a little bit different from this one :

pslither.jpg

And I am improving this one for Turbo :

pturbo.jpg

hi there

I see this :

Max

They work great for 2600, 7800, INTV, and Sega Carts. I don't know about 5200 Carts. To house NES carts you need to trim off a tab in the UGC. And needless to say CV carts. ;>

I have a good collection of original US Boxes, and a good chunk of loose. I plan on using existing online art, and creating new for my missing boxes. High Res Scans of Original Boxes would be great. When done properly, the UGC boxes read like classic plastic Sega Genesis Boxes.

I was playing with my 2010 box to get it to scan, but to do it properly I'll have to cut the glue on the bottom, so the box can be flattened for best scanning. I'm torn on this. My boxes all have torn tops, but cutting the bottoms will pretty much zero any value in them.

This thought process started with me to do something for my loose original carts, like DK, Turbo and SAC Baseball. I have lost my Imagic boxes (NUTS!) for Moonsweeper and Nova Blast. As listed in my other thread, I've been buying loose CV carts and this is the logical (for me) progression for storing and display. My plan was to do it for my Sega 32X boxes as well, because the Sega Cardboard boxes never were very good (IMHO).

Would love scans of:

Star Trek

Tutankham

Gateway to Apshai

all the Atarisoft Titles

all the Imagic Titles

Gorf

Frogger

and Spy Hunter (I'll get a SPy Hunter eventually.... eventually... LOL)

I sent them an email and their reply is that they don't fit Atari 2600-7800-Colecovision carts !

this is not a problem to have or not to have the original carton boxes, I suppose we all have a double cart of all games, one perfect CIB and one used to play. What I would like is a generic plastic case for all the carts I use to play and like to see on my shelves...

So 2600 carts fit after hacking at the case? Pretty lame to have to cut at a new case that is supposedly universal. The company should have just made a mold that could be changed for making cases for each system individually.

So 2600 carts fit after hacking at the case? Pretty lame to have to cut at a new case that is supposedly universal. The company should have just made a mold that could be changed for making cases for each system individually.

It's my understanding that they fit okay unmodified, but they slop around a little. Snapping the clip makes them fit tight. I think they have to fit pretty good otherwise there wouldn't be a ton of 2600 UGC inserts over at The Cover Project. And there are a TON of them.

Universal Slim Combo Game, Full Sleeve‏

01/06/2011

sales@mediashelving.comsales@mediashelving.com

No it does not.

Thank you,

Diane Reddick

Customer Service

sales@mediashelving.com

http://www.mediashelving.com

----- Original Message -----

To: sales@mediashelving.com

Sent: Wednesday, June 01, 2011 8:25 AM

Subject: Universal Slim Combo Game, Full Sleeve

dear Sirs

have something similar suitable to Atari 2600 - 7800 - Colecovision game cartridges ?

THIS THE REPLY I GOT

BUT IF YOU SAY THAT IT'S OK...OK FOR ME, I WILL DO A TRIAL ORDER

Universal Slim Combo Game, Full Sleeve‏

01/06/2011

sales@mediashelving.comsales@mediashelving.com

No it does not.

Thank you,

Diane Reddick

Customer Service

sales@mediashelving.com

http://www.mediashelving.com

----- Original Message -----

To: sales@mediashelving.com

Sent: Wednesday, June 01, 2011 8:25 AM

Subject: Universal Slim Combo Game, Full Sleeve

dear Sirs

have something similar suitable to Atari 2600 - 7800 - Colecovision game cartridges ?

THIS THE REPLY I GOT

BUT IF YOU SAY THAT IT'S OK...OK FOR ME, I WILL DO A TRIAL ORDER

I haven't gotten any yet. Hold off before you dump $50 or $60 into this project. Let me do a little more research.

UGCs will work with 2600, 7800 and CV carts by trimming the tabs just a tad. 5200 carts will also fit after some trimming. I love these things, they're much better than having flimsy cardboard boxes and are a much better solution to tracking down the boxes if you're not a completist.

UGCs will work with 2600, 7800 and CV carts by trimming the tabs just a tad. 5200 carts will also fit after some trimming. I love these things, they're much better than having flimsy cardboard boxes and are a much better solution to tracking down the boxes if you're not a completist.

ok, I will follow yr. indication and will order them: I also like the idea to uniform all my collection of carts with a standard box. years ago I used VHS boxes but cannot more find them.

• 11 months later...

look what this guy is sellong

not sure what brand the casing are

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.ca%2Fsch%2Fcrimson_sometimes%2Fm.html%3Fhash%3Ditem231e310d47%26item%3D150830386503%26pt%3DLH_DefaultDomain_0%26rt%3Dnc%26_trksid%3Dp4340.l2562

anyone of you got a copy od daniel bienvenu' Dacman

or bustin-out 1 or 2

they wer sold with universal videogames casing

I am daily on ebay and see no reason to pay there the double for that. Need approx. 300 - 400 cases for several systems. and really would love to see all my thousand carts with a same "uniform" on my shelves.

Ozma, I'd start small before you invest totally in the UGC conversion. Pick up a small lot and see if you like the result before you go all the way. I like what it does for my loose carts, but I'm not scanning and redoing all of my CIB collection. Except my 32X collection where the boxes were never in the best shape to begin with, even when new.

• 3 months later...

This sounds a lot like the Shockboxes that Neo Geo MVS collectors make.

To get the best results when creating an insert for a game case, someone would scan the original box art of all the games in a high resolution. Then someone with Photoshop or Illustrator skills can resize them according to the dimensions of the game case. Additionally, an experienced Illustrator user could then vectorize the text and logos to create the highest quality possible.

When printing these inserts out, any local print shop will do. Any kind of semi glossy paper will look great, but you MUST insist on getting them printed with a laser printer!! Most print places will use laser printers, but a certain few might use inkjet printers. Inkjet printers don't look nearly as good when printing high resolution text graphics.

To get the best results when creating an insert for a game case, someone would scan the original box art of all the games in a high resolution. Then someone with Photoshop or Illustrator skills can resize them according to the dimensions of the game case. Additionally, an experienced Illustrator user could then vectorize the text and logos to create the highest quality possible.

The Cover Project (http://www.thecoverproject.net) is already doing what you're suggesting. :)

Also, there's a guy who's working on doing plastic cases which are better-suited for classic cartridges than the UGC. Look here:

http://www.atariage....-pre-nes-carts/

Not sure when these cases will become available though, but it's an interesting project. :)

The Cover Project (http://www.thecoverproject.net) is already doing what you're suggesting. :)

Also, there's a guy who's working on doing plastic cases which are better-suited for classic cartridges than the UGC. Look here:

http://www.atariage....-pre-nes-carts/

Not sure when these cases will become available though, but it's an interesting project. :)

That's awesome. If you ever need a logo up-rezzed and vectorized for high quality printing, shoot me a PM. That's the kind of stuff I do all day. :)

For those of you using the UGCs, do you use any special paper or print settings when printing covers? Would you recommend printing these at a local print shop like Office Depot or the FedEx store?

This thread:

http://www.atariage....ver-discussion/

shows my experience printing UGC Labels on regular paper using a 300dpi inkjet printer. Not too bad. My 32X Carts with more colors (correctly done with the yellow/orange Sega Stripes) look great.

Edited by LynxVGL