IGNORED

Flashback 3 at E3? Is it real?

HA! I keep asking on Atari's Facebook page about the FB3 and they keep removing my posts. I guess they don't want to talk about it.

I've done the same thing, too. But it seems they remove ALL user posts on their wall. Can't they just disable that entirely anyway if they wanted to?

Edited by Animan

HA! I keep asking on Atari's Facebook page about the FB3 and they keep removing my posts. I guess they don't want to talk about it.

I found three of your posts:

June 26 at 8:46pm

June 25 at 8:25pm

June 17 at 3:08am

You may have to click Most Recent or Top Posts to see posts other than those made by Atari:

post-19265-0-18850300-1309296579_thumb.png

Either way, they aren't answering your questions. :(

My order at zavvi.com is still in process. The status of my order is 'Awaiting Stock Pick', and the dispatch date is 'Est: 28/06/2011'

That was yesterday!

That is what my order says, it also lists the product as "out of stock" on the main site, so it is anyones guess as to what is happening.

Gawd I hope not, I tried working with SunPlus and they were total jerks to me. That was back when I was trying to get developing going on the HyperScan (a sunplus based console). Total fail on all fronts. I expect no less than total fail when working with sunplus. I might be wrong, but that's what I know of them.

So, we know that Atari licensed this, but do we know who the licensee/manufacturer is yet?

Remember the pirate Chinese Flashback 2 units, posted about earlier in the year? I wouldn't be surprised if "Atari" management - rather than pursuing the infringement - licensed the junk to turn a quick buck with no effort. This would fall perfectly in-line with their apparent willingness to dilute (ruin) the vintage intellectual properties they have in pursuit of a quick buck, like the "remakes" they do on games that have nothing to do with the original, save for the name.

It would be nice to see a review of the FB3. Have they shipped any units?,

My order at zavvi.com is still in process. The status of my order is 'Awaiting Stock Pick', and the dispatch date is 'Est: 28/06/2011'

Same here. And the product is listed as "sold out" along with the Atari branded arcade nano that appeared a few days ago.

http://www.zavvi.com/games/atari-flashback-3/10376114.html

It is still available for US customers on Creative Mind Interactive website with a different box.

http://www.creativemindinteractive.com/prod/941/Atari_Flashback_3

post-10599-0-54942200-1309681934_thumb.jpg

Just for fun I asked the Creative whatsis people for a video demonstrating the total capabilities of the unit; how to hook up, how to play and close ups of all the features. Who knows, they may listen and post something on youtube.

Hello,

Is there a video of this system being demonstrated? I would like to see it being hooked up, played and basically profiled, with close ups of all the features it has. $60 is a lot to ask for a clone of a clone system.

Happy 4th of July.

Got a reply from Zavvi when I pushed them, don't hold your breath, they are sold out of something they never had :roll:

I am sorry for the delay in sending your order.

We have contacted our suppliers today to find a date to when your order will be sent to you.

We will contact you again shortly as soon as we receive any further information. If you would prefer to cancel your order then you can do so via your account.

Alternatively you can contact us and we can do this for you.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Regards,

Scott.

I wonder if this product exists?. I have not seen a single demo / review yet.

I say, it's a scam?. If you were a company that had invested in producing something like this, you would be advertising like crazy.

LOL, how could Atari be so stupid?.

+rep to the first person who proves that this is a scam.

Edited by Matthew

Gawd I hope not, I tried working with SunPlus and they were total jerks to me. That was back when I was trying to get developing going on the HyperScan (a sunplus based console). Total fail on all fronts. I expect no less than total fail when working with sunplus. I might be wrong, but that's what I know of them.

You tried working with Sunplus as a business interest going through their American representation company, or you tried working with them as a homebrewer contacting them directly? I've heard that Sunplus has very good support--but only if you've done all the stuff with money and signed NDAs. They're not going to want to talk to you otherwise, unfortunately, but that's hardly a policy singular to them. Companies don't like it when people outside their control poke around in stuff they sell; that's nothing new.

onmode-ky

So, we know that Atari licensed this, but do we know who the licensee/manufacturer is yet?

Remember the pirate Chinese Flashback 2 units, posted about earlier in the year? I wouldn't be surprised if "Atari" management - rather than pursuing the infringement - licensed the junk to turn a quick buck with no effort. This would fall perfectly in-line with their apparent willingness to dilute (ruin) the vintage intellectual properties they have in pursuit of a quick buck, like the "remakes" they do on games that have nothing to do with the original, save for the name.

I was thinking that as well. I have a hunch that he "FB3" was developed independant of Atari and was probably sold to them after the fact, possibly as part of a settlement.

EIther way, I can't see myself buying one until I find one at a yard sale for $10 or less!

Supply and demand.

The problem is that it costs considerable money to recreate 2600s. One might think that because this is 34+ year old technology, that it is cheap to manufacture. Not the case. The chips that make up our Ataris have not seen a production run in a long time (except for FB2). Also, "off the shelf" parts used to make clones like the Gemini are no longer on the shelves. An Atari subcontractor would be starting from scratch and need a large amount of cash. So "Atari", or whatever shadowy company controls this intellectual property, jumps at the chance to make one on the cheap using those NES-on-a-chip or whatever they are.

Does it suck? Yes. Look at FB1. Some of those 7800 conversions are downright hideous, with respect to those involved in the project.

Do I care? No, I really don't. I have a nice looking 2600 jr and a rack of carts, that's all I need to keep Atari alive.

• Like 1

Based on a press release I discovered, it looks like this is being done by AtGames, the firm who has been putting out Sega SMS/GG/MD-based plug-n-plays for a few years. Their SMS/GG stuff ran on SMS-on-a-chip hardware, according to Curt, but their MD stuff ran in emulation on ARM-based hardware. So, their history is of little help in figuring out what route they took this time, other than indicating they're likely using the original binaries rather than ported-over versions of the games.

onmode-ky

• Like 1

Just received an email from zavvi:

We are sorry to advise that your order for Atari Flashback 3 is no longer available at our suppliers. Please be assured that we have contacted alternative sources and regrettably we were unable to obtain your item.

Your order has been cancelled and no payment has been taken for the cancelled items.

This product will be removed from our website in due course.

:roll: