IGNORED

Removing the automatic renewal for XBOX Live

Austin

Does anyone know how to do this? I found a link I believe Moycon posted to a 2009 tutorial on how to do it, but it's no longer a functional guide as MS has changed the layout and functionality of their site. I have looked under every button I possibly could under the "my account" page on my XBOX.com home profile, and of course, there's no description or option anywhere to change it. I'd prefer to not have to call MS if I can avoid it..

Does anyone know how to do this? I found a link I believe Moycon posted to a 2009 tutorial on how to do it, but it's no longer a functional guide as MS has changed the layout and functionality of their site. I have looked under every button I possibly could under the "my account" page on my XBOX.com home profile, and of course, there's no description or option anywhere to change it. I'd prefer to not have to call MS if I can avoid it..

The @#$@#$@# now make you call them to disable auto-renew.

http://support.xbox.com/en-us/pages/xbox-live/how-to/xbox-live-account-management/cancel-account.aspx

I don't know if it's changed.. but the way I turned it off is I used a pre-paid card.

The rep told me if I paid with a Credit Card then when it came to the end of it, it would auto-renew. However if I used a pre-paid card, if it came to the end of the term, it would just end. I ended up buying a one month card for the 2 accounts and just played em during that time, then at the end they just stopped. (I have 3 Xbox Live accounts, with 2 that are dormant)

But then that was about 2 years ago. I don't know if it's changed.

For a while they let the user decide to turn auto renewal off. But they changed their mind a while back.

The @#$@#$@# now make you call them to disable auto-renew.

Even worse was they changed every account when they made that decision back to auto renewal even if you had turned it off when it was actually user selectable. I discovered that recently when I was checking my account.

Actually decided to let my subscription lapse this month (Hadn't been on the 360 much lately, and never did much online multiplayer anyways). Thankfully the credit card information entered in my account (Left over from the Xbox 1 days when I bought the PGR2 booster packs) that I was never allowed to delete despite that function being available at Xbox.com was no longer valid.

For anyone out there considering subscribing to Xbox Live for the first time, I highly suggest that you never tie a credit card to your account. They're a shady bunch when it comes to your credit card information tied to your Xbox Live account and have been since the original system.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

Even worse was they changed every account when they made that decision back to auto renewal even if you had turned it off when it was actually user selectable. I discovered that recently when I was checking my account.

Actually decided to let my subscription lapse this month (Hadn't been on the 360 much lately, and never did much online multiplayer anyways). Thankfully the credit card information entered in my account (Left over from the Xbox 1 days when I bought the PGR2 booster packs) that I was never allowed to delete despite that function being available at Xbox.com was no longer valid.

For anyone out there considering subscribing to Xbox Live for the first time, I highly suggest that you never tie a credit card to your account. They're a shady bunch when it comes to your credit card information tied to your Xbox Live account and have been since the original system.

That sounds like a class action lawsuit waiting to happen. Glad I only got gold subscriptions through card sales.

For a while they let the user decide to turn auto renewal off. But they changed their mind a while back.

Well what I was saying is by just using a pre-paid card (even if you have a credit card # entered) it would automatically disable the next auto-renew by default... even if the user wants it to auto-renew.

That's proven to be true for me for my other 2 accounts. But again, I don't know if that's changed.. just saying.

1-800-4MY-XBOX

Hit the billing option and change/cancel credit card info and you will get a live operator. I did this yesterday and asked to have auto-renewal removed and it was actually a pleasant experience all things considered. The operator didn't give me any isht about it, and actually sent me an email with a 45% discount on my next Xbox Gold subscription for when I decide to re-up.

Credit cards don't last forever. I got out of it when I received a new card, even though it's the same number, t expiration is different and the one you applied dies. Of course, I have mine paid in advance for a few years, and probably half a dozen or so more years if I could be bothered to punch in all the codes that come with your games when you get a new one :lol: