IGNORED

Any Interest in a new SDrive NUXX Run?

c0nsumer

Hey there. Fore those of you who don't remember me, I did the SDrive NUXX about two years ago. I've been getting email from folks interested in them again, so I've been thinking about doing another run of PCBs and possibly a limited number of assembled devices.

So, I figured I'd ask here. Would any of you be interested in any of these? And if so, would you be interested in just a PCB/end panel set, or a fully assembled device? (I won't be selling kits this time, as picking parts is a huge PITA.)

-Steve

kits! kits! kits! :'D

but seriously, alot of people have asked me about SDrives and similar, and having another source of an SDrive would be nice... i have plenty of SD devices myself, but a place to refer people would be good...

sloopy.

...Well, after searching, reading, analyzing existing options, and then eventually discovering this one, I can only say:

1. There is NO real substitute to the high-quality, SLEEK-looking, custom-designed NUXX SDrive.

2. It should NOT be called SDrive NUXX. It should be called the Nuke-SDrive. Its design and build quality would probably withstand a nuclear conflict:

post-29379-0-49463500-1308246149_thumb.png

It would look absolutely awesome, and a worthy companion to a pristine, well mantained IndusGT unit/s. Not to mention that I will be able to fire-it-up also on my JayMiner-800 (still not dependent on my 800XL's PBI bus).

Minimum of one unit for me, here. This is the SIO-drive to have.

Cheers,

F.

Note: this is what a high-tech version of the Wii should have looked-like. :P

Edited by Faicuai

Okay, I actually clicked on the SDdrive NUXX link and looked it over.

I've got a question - will this device allow the 2gig SD card to

serve as primary mass storage?

Thanks.

YEP.

From the original SDrive project:

"The SDrive is a device that connects to Atari XL/XE's serial (SIO) port and simulates an Atari floppy disk drive with full read/write access to programs and data stored on a SecureDigital flash card (SD).".

If that's what you asked for, of course.

But the NUXX is in another league, especially in construction and quality. The NUXX has an on-board reprogramming/reflashing capabiliites, making it mostly and easily upgradeable within framework of its HW potential, of course.

F.

YEP.

From the original SDrive project:

"The SDrive is a device that connects to Atari XL/XE's serial (SIO) port and simulates an Atari floppy disk drive with full read/write access to programs and data stored on a SecureDigital flash card (SD).".

If that's what you asked for, of course.

But the NUXX is in another league, especially in construction and quality. The NUXX has an on-board reprogramming/reflashing capabiliites, making it mostly and easily upgradeable within framework of its HW potential, of course.

F.

Okay, thanks. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't limited to floppy disk size partitions/slots/tracks on the SD card. There

is a similiar device available for the ST, and that was its main disadvantage, IMHO. It also required a Windows machine to

setup, and I intensely dislike that aspect of its use.

My Atari's don't need no stinkin' PC... :)

I'll quote myself from the original NUXX run thread, because it's worth pointing out. Yes, the NUXX is more expensive than other alternatives but it ranks as one of the absolutely top professionally produced wonderful products ever for our beloved A8s. :)

On behalf of the community once again, thank you for putting together such a professionally meticulous and aesthetically pleasing turnkey solution for us. :)