IGNORED

Drives for the IDE Plus 2

Larry

We had a thread like this for the MIO, so here it is again. I'd like to keep this concise, so please stick to reporting briefly what drives work or don't work with your +2. If we collect a lot of info, I'll summarize it occasionally.

I'll start with a couple that don't work:

Toshiba MK2006GAL 1.8" HDD. Geometry not correct. FDISK2 reports 125 MB. After setup, IDE cannot be activated. Passes KMKDIAG, except Geometry.

Edit: I took down the Toshiba MK2110MAT with further tests, I think the drive is "kaput."

Edit2: WinXP will recognize and use this as a 118 GB drive in a USB II extension case. I'm going to need to go after this with "Partition Magic" or such and see if I can't find the hidden capacity. Although new, I suspect it was set up this way for IPOD use. IDE+2 still can't use it, though.

Edit3: As with the Hitachi Travelstar, the new 0.9 bios solves the issue(s) -- now works great. And since XP says the drive is the same size as FDISK2, I really can't say that the geometry is incorrect. All of the hard drives show about the same R/W speeds with MyDos -- ~28,000 BPS, and this is slightly faster than the flash cards (presumably the cache). (?)

-Larry

this is what i used on mine...

CF cards:

post-24811-0-53470200-1308366748_thumb.png

and CF adaptor:

post-24811-0-51042800-1308366761_thumb.png

sloopy.

edit:i have 4-5 IDE drives, i just dont have ext power setup for the IDE+ to test them, and I dont want to run that much power through the cart port if i dont have to...

I'll start with a couple that don't work:

Toshiba MK2006GAL 1.8" HDD. Geometry not correct. FDISK2 reports 125 MB. After setup, IDE cannot be activated. Passes KMKDIAG, except Geometry.

Toshiba MK2110MAT 2.5" HDD. "Master Drive does not respond."

Could you post photos of what KMKDIAG (ver. 1.35 if possible, posted here http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/179613-ide-plus-20-preorder-starts-today/page__st__275__p__2294292#entry2294292) displays for these two drives?

Edited by drac030

Toshiba (MK1301MAV) 1.35 GB ---Works good with IDE 2.0

Toshiba (MK6015MAP) 6007MB ---Works good with IDE 2.0

Toshiba (MK2018GAP) 20GB ---Works good with IDE 2.0

2.5 Hard Disk Drive HD IDE to CF 44 Pin Adapter Laptop ---Works good with IDE 2.0

I have partitioned several Lexar 1GB CF cards & 1GB Transcend CF cards

the Lexar only seems to do 256 BPS well.

I didn't really anticipate CF cards, but why not!

Sandisk CF 256 MB (regular) works fine.

Sandisk CF 2 GB Extreme III works fine.

(I really suspect that virtually all Sandisk cards will be fine.)

IBM Travelstar 20 GB, 2.5" 4200 rpm HDD works fine. #IC25N020ATCS04-0

(PM sent to Drac030 with screenshots)

-Larry

That looks way cool, Phil. The flower is a nice aesthetic touch, too. :) Is that a dual adapter?

Jon, I was thinking of writing something about the flower too!

Now I need a translucent case to mantain aesthetic and because flowers need light (on the other hand light is no good for yellowing...).

It seems a dual adapter but in fact it isn't; years ago I bought 2 of them for my Amigas 1200.

How about posting a picture or two of just the adapter. I've not seen one like that either.

-The flower is nice, but think I'll put a little picture of my dog on mine... ;)

Edit: But I don't see the 44-pin connector for the IDE. (?)

-Larry

It seems impossible, but after many years the seller still sells this product:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2705956849701?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=270595684970&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Larry, the 44-pin connector is in the upper part of the photo.

That looks like the way to go for mechanical stability on the IDE + 2.0.

But it looks like he doesn't ship to US or is my internal translator malfunctioning again?

It seems impossible, but after many years the seller still sells this product:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2705956849701?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=270595684970&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Larry, the 44-pin connector is in the upper part of the photo.

That looks like the way to go for mechanical stability on the IDE + 2.0.

But it looks like he doesn't ship to US or is my internal translator malfunctioning again?

Sorry, here is the link in English:

Yes, apparently seller doesn't ship to USA but people interested could ask.

There's one kicking around with a similar form factor but with dual slots, which I think is worth considering.

Yep. I saw it and bought it.

I also found one similar to the one in the link that Phil posted and bought it.

There's one kicking around with a similar form factor but with dual slots, which I think is worth considering.

You surely know it but pay attention on master/slave adapters setting (I don't know if it is a problem for IDE Plus, for Amiga it was important IIRC).

You surely know it but pay attention on master/slave adapters setting (I don't know if it is a problem for IDE Plus, for Amiga it was important IIRC).

Re: the dual socket board I purchased: I did notice that apparently there is a jumper to set the 2 sockets up as MASTER/SLAVE or SLAVE/MASTER. I didn't actually see the jumper in the pic but I saw reference to it printed on the board itself. Of course I am assuming that WYSIWYG.

That adaptor is from PC Engines and you can still buy them directly. (Google them) I bought mine from them many years ago.

Bob

How about posting a picture or two of just the adapter. I've not seen one like that either.

-The flower is nice, but think I'll put a little picture of my dog on mine... ;)

Edit: But I don't see the 44-pin connector for the IDE. (?)

-Larry