IGNORED

Intellivision Problem

yell0w_lantern

I have an Intellivision that I acquired Several months ago and have set up on only 3 occasions.

The first time I played it I had no problems.

Since then, it seems to crash after only 1 to 2 minutes of play. Generally, the screen goes black and the sounds stop. I can reset it or switch it off and on but the problem happens again in less than a minute. Once after resetting Mouse Trap the maze turned red for about 10 seconds then crashed.

It seems too short a time for it to overheat.

Has anyone run into this before?

Is it worth repairing or should I just get another Intellivision?

Edited by yell0w_lantern

Inty model 1 or 2? If model one, I can sell a spare deck. You could try cleaning the contacts inside the system as well as blow it out with compressed air. You'd be surprised the amount of dust and dirt that gets hidden in the circuitry. All that dust traps heat and slowly cooks your console over time.

Sounds like bad powersupply. I would get another they are cheap.

Who sells them? I can't find any on Ebay?

if it's an INTV 1 I'd suggest buying off Zylon or someone else here, although if I remember correctly, oldjd might have INTV 1 power supplies for sale. I guess it also depends on how comfortable you are performing surgery on your INTV. Personally, I'm not.

If it's an INTV 2, finding a cheap INTV branded replacement power supply might be hard, although I know others have suggested compatible power supplies in other threads.

As an aside, if you need games, many of us here have lots of extras, hit us up with your wantlist.

if it's an INTV 1 I'd suggest buying off Zylon or someone else here, although if I remember correctly, oldjd might have INTV 1 power supplies for sale. I guess it also depends on how comfortable you are performing surgery on your INTV. Personally, I'm not.

It's an Inty 1. I am fairly comfortable. I can wire and solder. I can't run a multimeter so my diagnostic skills are about zero.

Besides I would hate to just throw it out. I may buy another from Rev and if I get this one working I may give it away to a friend. If not I may donate it to someone here for parts.

Possible, but if undisturbed, those wires are usually still good. Been a real long time since I've looked in one of those, but the voltage regulator can cause that. If it has one.

I haven't really worked with voltage regulators so I doubt I could identify one if it is there.

This one's inside a computer power supply, not a Inty. They usually look like that one anyway. Small black chip/square with 3 legs/prongs.

post-25215-0-56124200-1309132586_thumb.jpg