IGNORED

What 2600 console do you prefer to PLAY on?

SlowCoder

What 2600 console do you prefer to PLAY on?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. What 2600 console do you prefer to PLAY on?

• 1977 - Heavy Sixer (Atari VCS) - The original one that started a revolution
    • 1977 - Heavy Sixer (Sears Video Arcade)
    • 1978 - Light Sixer (Atari VCS) - A cleaner lined, lighter version of the heavy
    • 1978 - Light Sixer (Sears Video Arcade)
    • 1980 - 4 Switch Woody (Atari VCS) - Even cleaner, updated look, difficulty switches moved back and out of sight
    • 1980 - 4 Switch Woody (Sears Video Arcade)
    • 1982 - 4 Switch Vader (Atari VCS/2600) - Bask in its shiny black glory
    • 1986 - Atari 2600 Jr. - The last, most updated and sleekly styled version
    • Atari 7800 - Backwards compatible with 2600 games
    • Other non Atari/Sears branded clone, such as the Coleco Gemini, etc.

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

This is not a "what is your favorite Atari console" thread. Many of us have accumulated multiple 2600 models, likely all but one of which end up in storage, while one lucky one gets played.

I have at least one of every model of the Atari and Sears 2600s up to, but not including the Jrs. I much prefer the look and feel of the sixers, but it really doesn't matter too much if it's a heavy or light, Atari or Sears. Actually, it's quite a tossup whether I like the Atari or Sears better.

The fours are just a bit bland and baron for my tastes. But I know some people here really like the fours, and they have various reasons for their preferences. I've heard they like the clean look, and some like that they're using a "newer" system.

The Jrs just don't say "1970's Atari", and are therefore not on my personal list of "must-haves". But some people like them because they fit in with the 7800 and 5200 styling better, and have a smaller footprint.

Still others like to use clone clone or add-on systems, like the Gemini or the ColecoVision Expansion Module #1.

So, the theme of this poll is "which console do you prefer to PLAY your 2600 games on",. and why?

Edited by SlowCoder
  • Like 1

So, the theme of this poll is "which console do you prefer to PLAY your 2600 games on",. and why?

I most often use my 4 switch Vader because it's the only 2600 I have at the moment that's been A/V modded (I usually play on a LCD).

I'd rather have one with the difficulty switches on the front. Whoever had the idea to hide the difficulty switches on the back should be beaten with a thousand paddle controllers.

Don't you think that would be a little too cruel to the paddles? The difficulty switches must of not been that hidden in the back because you found them.

The difficulty switches must not have been that hidden in the back because you found them.

Yeah, but it's like groping for a clitoris on a moonless night at a nudist colony. We should be able to see if they are on A or B at a glance.

• Like 2

I'm using the same Sears L6er I bought used in 87. I couldn't say it's the best model to have, but it's been the best to me. :love:

I've another L6er(woody) for test use and a 7800 I've recently acquired. One of the cart opening pins is broken and color on screen sucks, so I'll likely only use it for 7800 titles.

The difficulty switches must not have been that hidden in the back because you found them.

Yeah, but it's like groping for a clitoris on a moonless night at a nudist colony. We should be able to see if they are on A or B at a glance.

I play Atari and I watch Star Trek. What is this clitoris thing you speak of?

• Like 1

I play Atari and I watch Star Trek. What is this clitoris thing you speak of?

clitoris and explosiveegg - Albert, please close this thread... :P

Edited by Mister VCS

For the moment I only have a cheap 2600 Jr. to play on, so obvioulsy the Junior is the one for me.

Although I plan on getting a nice 4-switch Vader very soon. Then I'll give my Junior to a good friend as a present, so we can try to beat each other's hi-scores.

That should be fun :D

I vote for the original HEAVY 6-switcher that started it all...even tho I don't own one yet until this Friday when I get paid.

IF I had a second choice I'd choose my LIGHT 6-switcher that I just finished modding due to the hard work and suffering I went through to finish it ;)