IGNORED

IDE Plus 2.0 preorder starts now.

Simius

• 1 month later...

Because of problems with delivery of some components and then holiday, the matter a little bit delayed. Sorry. But now assembling is complete. Yesterday I got ready boards. It remains still only testing, programming and shipping. In a few days all should be shipped.

Edited by Simius

In a few days all should be shipped.

This forces me to prepare a new beta-release of the BIOS, i.e. to release the version the new units will be shipped with. So be ready :) This will be version 0.9. Unfortunately, the APT support is not yet finished, so the beta 0.9 won't have it. But, as there were some doubts about it, I am hereby officially stating that APT will be supported as of version 1.0 of the IDE Plus BIOS, which will make IDE Plus disks interchangeable with SIDE and MyIDE disks operating under Flashjazzcat's MyIDE driver.

The most important new thing the 0.9 has in comparison to 0.8 is ATR support. I.e. ATR files can be loaded (and executed) from within the binary loader, mounted R/W under SDX as disks, booted and such. :) The BIOS is currently being in final betatesting.

• Like 2

I am hereby officially stating that APT will be supported as of version 1.0 of the IDE Plus BIOS, which will make IDE Plus disks interchangeable with SIDE and MyIDE disks operating under Flashjazzcat's MyIDE driver.

Does the v1.0 BIOS still support the old partition table? I can imagine lots of people have existing HDs and do not want to repartition their disks.

The most important new thing the 0.9 has in comparison to 0.8 is ATR support. I.e. ATR files can be loaded (and executed) from within the binary loader, mounted R/W under SDX as disks, booted and such. :) The BIOS is currently being in final betatesting.

Wow, this is great!

I like to have an alternative to MyIDE's image feature.

Robert

Rybags:

The file does not have to be contiguous, but there is a limitation: namely the file must reside on a SpartaDOS file system. MyDOS file system does not allow random file access without indexing, so that's not supported.

For now there is no dynamic swapping, and of course there is no good method implementing this in software. I hope though that some method might be implemented which allows at least limited disk swap (i.e. some programs won't work with that, but some hopefully will).

FJC:

An ATR must be on a hard disk partition, yes. Either copied or created there. The distribution archive contains a program for SpartaDOS X, called very originally mkatr.com, which, well, makes ATR files. Creating a 180k ATR file takes about 4 seconds. Such an ATR can be later mounted as a drive and formatted using the regular SDX disk formatter.

EDIT:

Rdemming:

Yes, 1.0 will still support the old format, although I think that some time in the future there will be a cut. Fortunately, the old IDE partition table can be painlessly converted to APT (without destroiyng the partition contents, that is).

Edited by drac030

So I assume the ATR appears to the system as a (very fast) SIO type floppy, ie - when loaded from the BLoader the software won't know the difference?

I'm still yet to get the next version of my ATRLoad system going - I was going to implement disk swapping via an event-based system.

ie - when a Read or Write command is received, an event list for the mounted volume is scanned. Each event has a list of memory locations and an AND/CMP is performed, if none fail then the particular event has another list of memory locations that have an AND/EOR/OR performed on.

To aid this, the system keeps a log of the most recently referenced AUX values, so a disk swap can be initiated based on a known sequence of read requests.

Or when that's not feasible a volume change can be initiated by having an event that checks for a certain keypress.

Of course all that isn't really feasible for an IDE Plus2 BIOS ATR loader... except maybe the keypress part.

Maybe some sort of extended ATR format could cater for multiple swappable volumes on 1 virtual floppy - but the problem of doing volume changes is still there, plus we probably end up with a bastardised ATR that doesn't work elsewhere.

Yes, the event-based system would have a limited use for an universal loader. The disk will probably be swapped on a keypress, but that is not yet implemented.

EDIT:

Sorry, overlooked this question:

So I assume the ATR appears to the system as a (very fast) SIO type floppy, ie - when loaded from the BLoader the software won't know the difference?

Yes. At least, without special checks, it should not be possible for a program to know that it is being loaded from a hard disk.

Edited by drac030

• 2 weeks later...

Some docs are here: http://drac030.krap.pl/en-kmkjz-pliki.php

The pins you see are not jumpers, this is a connector for additional cartridge control signals, which are missing on 800XL PBI. If you have an XE, they have no use. For XL, see here: http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/179613-ide-plus-20-preorder-starts-today/page__st__250__p__2293600#entry2293600

Hi, i see but..but i mean see a little white switch, is like for bios upgrade? is necesary? cause i read in other post about a upgrade for fix...

thx!

This little white switch is for SDX disable.

Are there still 2 left or have these all sold now?

If there are any remaining, please reserve one for me. If not, no problem.

There is still one rev. B adapter. Do you want?

BTW four customers (all rev.C) still not paid. They may give up

Edited by Simius

Hi, i see but..but i mean see a little white switch, is like for bios upgrade? is necesary? cause i read in other post about a upgrade for fix...

thx!

This little white switch is for SDX disable.

Are there still 2 left or have these all sold now?

If there are any remaining, please reserve one for me. If not, no problem.

There is still one rev. B adapter. Do you want?

BTW four customers (all rev.C) still not paid. They may give up

ok now i feel stupid, i knew i was forgetting to pay someone... I apologize for my oversight. end of next week, and i will put it in my blackberry so i dont forget :')

used my spare cash for my Gumby+ upgrades which the PCB's should be in today, and the rest of the components in Fri/Sat...

sloopy.